Playoff format in flux?

The Southern Indoor Football League (SIFL) forum
VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Post by VinnyTheViper » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:45 pm

[quote=""Trish_lvs_Baltimore""]So, lemme' see if I got this straight......

I was under the assumption that it's E1 vs. E4, and E2 vs. E3. Out west, it was the same deal (W1 vs. W4, and W2 vs. W3).

However, I'm kinda' confused about something. There are five divisions. Which divisions are viewed as the "Eastern Division" and the "Western Division"????

It's obvious that Columbus is the E1 right now, and Houston is the W1.

Why would Erie play Albany in the first round? I would've thought that E4 was the team with the best record that DIDN'T win their division. The Eastern Conference playoff format SHOULD look like this..

E1-Columbus
E2-Erie
E3-Richmond (Since they're the champions of the Mid-Atlantic Division)
E4-Albany[/quote]

In another escapade of infinite SIFL stupidity, yes there are five divisions, but divisions do not mean a thing in the SIFL as the top 4 teams qualify for the playoffs for the West and the East conferences, division winners do not automatically qualify. The East consists of the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, and Southern divisions. The West consists of the Southwest and Gulf Coast divisions. Columbus, Albany, Erie, and Trenton have qualified for the playoffs as the top four teams in the East based upon overall record, Richmond, the Mid-Atlantic division winner misses the playoffs altogether, go figure. Out in the West, Houston, Louisiana, Corpus Christi, and Rio Grande Valley qualify for the playoffs based upon being the four top teams in the West. What is the point to having divisions when there is a division totally unrepresented in the playoffs? Why have conferences, one with three divisions, and the other conference with just two divisions? At least this season, the unbalanced approach to the playoffs was representative of state of the league, totally unbalanced. If you are going to have divisions in the first place, what is so hard about having five division winners plus the top three wild cards qualifying for the playoffs? There was no information on the league website that acknowledged that a conference structure even exists, stupidity reigns supreme in the Stupid Indoor Fraud League.
Last edited by VinnyTheViper on Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DFWCC
Site Admin

Post by DFWCC » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:15 pm

Wins over replacement teams should count for a 1/2 win
and a forefit should be worth a 1/4 win.
that may help clear up the mess that is the
Shi**y Indoor Footbal League

thedarkknight
Site Admin

Post by thedarkknight » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:15 pm

[quote=""DFWCC""]Wins over replacement teams should count for a 1/2 win
and a forefit should be worth a 1/4 win.
that may help clear up the mess that is the
Shi**y Indoor Footbal League[/quote]

If we were to even remotely go by this scenario it would look like this:

West: (W, L, Replacement Win, Forfeit win)
Houston (8, 0, 0, 3) - 8.75
Louisiana (5, 3, 1, 2) - 6.00
Rio Grande (4, 6, 1, 1) - 4.75
Corpus (3, 4, 1, 2) - 4.00
Abilene (2, 8, 1, 0) - 2.50

East: (W, L, Replacement Win, Forfeit Win)
Columbus (10, 1, 0, 0) - 10.00
Erie (8, 3, 1, 0) - 8.25
Albany (8, 2, 0, 1) - 8.25
Trenton (7, 4, 0, 0) - 7.00
Richmond (5, 6, 0, 0) - 5.00
Alabama (1, 7, 2, 1) - 2.25
Carolina (2, 8, 1, 0) - 2.50
Harrisburg (2, 9, 0 , 0) - 2.00

Hard to tell with some of the forfeit wins but i think I got most of them....of course I could be wrong considering there has been no official release by league or notion of forfeit wins taking place.

Know it could be up for debate when Mobile and Fayetteville became replacement teams....I figure it happened after both clubs went to Columbus...thats when the reports finally surfaced and the forfeits/replacement players began being used. Didn't included either club in this standings either but Mobile did have one win versus a replacement team and another over Abilene while Fayetteville started 3-0 but later tanked.
I'm like a dog chasing cars...I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it...You know I just do things

exit322
Site Admin

Post by exit322 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:43 am

No, just go all hockey with the standings (4 points for a win over legit team, 2 for a win over a replacement team, 1 for a forfeit)...so Albany would be 8-2-0-1 for 33 points, and so on and so forth.
What are you doing here?

DFWCC
Site Admin

Post by DFWCC » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:24 pm

[quote=""exit322""]No, just go all hockey with the standings (4 points for a win over legit team, 2 for a win over a replacement team, 1 for a forfeit)...so Albany would be 8-2-0-1 for 33 points, and so on and so forth.[/quote]

Erie at 8-3-1-0 would have 34pts.
32pts for regular and 2 pts for 1 rpl game win (Fay)

DFWCC
Site Admin

Post by DFWCC » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:36 pm

Either way. The point system in this case may be the way to go.
The top six play with # 1 & 2 first round bys.

exit322
Site Admin

Post by exit322 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:23 pm

[quote=""DFWCC""]Either way. The point system in this case may be the way to go.
The top six play with # 1 & 2 first round bys.[/quote]

What it does at least is keep fractional "wins" off the board and use just whole numbers; the net effect is the same.
What are you doing here?

Trish_lvs_Baltimore
Site Admin

Post by Trish_lvs_Baltimore » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:24 pm

[quote=""VinnyTheViper""]In another escapade of infinite SIFL stupidity, yes there are five divisions, but divisions do not mean a thing in the SIFL as the top 4 teams qualify for the playoffs for the West and the East conferences, division winners do not automatically qualify. The East consists of the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, and Southern divisions. The West consists of the Southwest and Gulf Coast divisions. Columbus, Albany, Erie, and Trenton have qualified for the playoffs as the top four teams in the East based upon overall record, Richmond, the Mid-Atlantic division winner misses the playoffs altogether, go figure. Out in the West, Houston, Louisiana, Corpus Christi, and Rio Grande Valley qualify for the playoffs based upon being the four top teams in the West. What is the point to having divisions when there is a division totally unrepresented in the playoffs? Why have conferences, one with three divisions, and the other conference with just two divisions? At least this season, the unbalanced approach to the playoffs was representative of state of the league, totally unbalanced. If you are going to have divisions in the first place, what is so hard about having five division winners plus the top three wild cards qualifying for the playoffs? There was no information on the league website that acknowledged that a conference structure even exists, stupidity reigns supreme in the Stupid Indoor Fraud League.[/quote]W H A T?????????????????? Richmond wins their division, and misses the playoffs?????

This league is definitely a sinking ship. Wow, what a joke! LOL
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated. Founded 1908.
The First and Always The Finest

Gusher
Site Admin

Post by Gusher » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:52 pm

The playoff format has been clear prior to the first game. Top four teams frome East and West E1 hosting E2 and W1 hosting W2. One item that is not clear is what divisions/teams are in the East or West.

NOTICE the schedule also lists dates and who is to host the games. Problem is the Conference Championship has the winner of the 1 vs 4 team traveling to the winner of the 2 vs 3.
So you could have Columbus traveling to Albany for that game.

Then in the Championship game you have the West hosting the East. So you could have Columbus traveling to RGV.

I hope that this is just an oversite of the SIFL and not some kind of scheme so one team is at a punished for having a great season and not host the games they well deserve.

CONFERENCE SEMI-FINAL
DATE VISITOR AT HOME
June 18 East 4 @ East 1
June 18 East 3 @ East 2
June 18 West 4 @ West 1
June 18 West 3 @ West 2
CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP
DATE VISITOR AT HOME
June 25 Winner East 1 - 4 @ Winner East 2 - 3
June 25 Winner West 1 - 4 @ Winner West 2 -3
LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP
DATE VISITOR AT HOME
July 2 East Champion @ West Champion

coachingubigr
Site Admin

Post by coachingubigr » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:12 pm

The current playoff systems is pretty stupid, especially when you figure in the division structure. The Raiders totally got boned this season, but they should have won more games. Losing five in a row does not help one's case to making the playoffs.

Return to “SIFL”