Would Bangor/Brewer make sense?

The Premier Basketball League (PBL) forum
Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:55 pm

"LandoG" wrote:That's why I emphasized complement instead of using compliment.

...way too smert for your own good, Steelhead. ;)

Way too smelt too for my own good, according to this article.
Last US sardine cans being packed in Maine
"It just doesn't seem possible this is the end," Anderson lamented last week while taking a break at the plant where she's worked for 54 years. She and nearly 130 co-workers will lose their jobs.

It's only 130 jobs lost, but it IS 130 jobs lost in sparsely populated Maine. It's also jobs lost near Bangor. More reason to search beyond MapQuest. The economy could be a lot better around Bangor.

PaulD
Site Admin

Ken the Halifax Rainmen is still in existance

Post by PaulD » Mon May 23, 2011 3:17 am

Bangor now has a better chance of supporting a sports team now that its citizens supported a referendum on building a 65 million dollar facility. http://new.bangordailynews.com/2011/05/05/business/arena-backers-eager-for-project-to-start/
Should it be a hockey team or a basketball team I don't know. The area has been strong supporters of the UMaine hockey team but lately there has not been much sucess. UMaine Hockey has not qualified for the National tournament for a number of years and has not won a national title since the great Shawn Walsh passed away. A QMJHL team with a natural rival in Lewiston might make sense. But how long Lewiston will have a team is up in the air. A AHL team to compete with the Portland Pirates would also be welcomed. A NBADL team to compete with Portland's Maine Red Claws would be welcomed. Bangor probably would not be affiliated with the Celtics, but the NBADL enjoys a good brand in Maine.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

The Halifax Rainmen are operating on a hope and a prayer

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Mon May 23, 2011 3:17 pm

Rogers Communications is artificially propping the Rainmen up. All good things come to an end.

"PaulD" wrote:Bangor now has a better chance of supporting a sports team now that its citizens supported a referendum on building a 65 million dollar facility. http://new.bangordailynews.com/2011/05/05/business/arena-backers-eager-for-project-to-start/
Should it be a hockey team or a basketball team I don't know. The area has been strong supporters of the UMaine hockey team but lately there has not been much sucess. UMaine Hockey has not qualified for the National tournament for a number of years and has not won a national title since the great Shawn Walsh passed away. A QMJHL team with a natural rival in Lewiston might make sense. But how long Lewiston will have a team is up in the air. A AHL team to compete with the Portland Pirates would also be welcomed. A NBADL team to compete with Portland's Maine Red Claws would be welcomed. Bangor probably would not be affiliated with the Celtics, but the NBADL enjoys a good brand in Maine.

I like the idea, especially for a struggling area like Bangor. Also, you cannot put a price tag on good PR for a town or city. For example, the expensive ballpark in my hometown Gary provides news other than the usual news on Gary's crime.
According to projections, as many as 1,500 temporary construction jobs could be created over the next two years, and most employees will hail from Greater Bangor. An economic impact study has predicted that a new arena could create up to 400 permanent jobs in the Bangor area and contribute $26 million to the local economy.

Hockey is the way to go. The same applies for my hometown Gary. Hockey is the way to go. I've got some pics in the IBL forum showing a beautiful, but empty restaurant during games. I doubt that restaurant would be closed and empty for hockey.
Last edited by Ken, Steelheads fan on Mon May 23, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: hope and a PRAYER, I mean. Still on a lifetime quest to command english.

Return to “PBL”