Wisconsin gets its very own...

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
Aaronhere
Site Admin

Tired of the Bucks? How about the Milwaukee Blast?

Post by Aaronhere » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:32 pm

By Don Walker of the Journal Sentinel

While all of us were immersed in Super Bowl fever, a new professional sports team was born in Milwaukee.

The Milwaukee Blast, newest members of the American Basketball Association, will begin play in late November or early December, according to Joe Newman, the ABA's ceo, and Elzie Flenard, the Waukesha businessman who is the Blast's owner.

The ABA is decidedly minor league, but is proud of it. Newman said Flenard paid $10,000 as a licensing fee, and "I financed it," Newman said.

Newman said the league's goal is to provide a fan-friendly, affordable game to basketball fans. Ticket prices are in the $10 range.

As for Flenard, he said in an interview Tuesday that his team will play its games at Wisconsin Lutheran College. A spokesman for the school could not be reached for comment.

"I've always been interested in owning a team," Flenard said. "It is the right time."

Flenard said tryouts for the team - the ABA likes its teams to find local players - will be held March 12. Ten players will be picked, along with 10 alternates.

Newman said each team has a $120,000 salary cap for 12 players.

The ABA now has 60 teams around the country, in large markets and small. Newman said he hoped to expand to as many as 100 teams next year.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/115579914.html
America's Real Team
http://www.packershistory.net

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:53 pm

[quote=""Aaronhere""]
The ABA now has 60 teams around the country, in large markets and small. Newman said he hoped to expand to as many as 100 teams next year[/quote]

40 times $10,000 ??? Yes, I can see why Newman would be "hoping" for that many more teams.

Meanwhile, the followers of the ABA "hope" that ABAlive will be updated with schedules and scores. :mad:

It looks pretty obvious that the writer of this article didn't go to his required, second source, to verify his information.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:46 pm

[quote=""Aaronhere""]Newman said he hoped to expand to as many as 100 teams next year [/quote]

Some variation of this silly, nonsensical comment has been spoken or written by the Kitchen Czar annually since at least 2004, if not earlier.

And he STILL hasn't reached 100 in any one season.

Putting aside the nearly 300 teams he has already burned through in that same timeframe, of course...
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:14 am

[quote=""Joe the Magpie Newman (AKA BS Joe; ABAJo86er; ABAfan; Forked Tongue Joe ; UsedCarSalesJoe) ""]

Flenard paid $10,000 as a licensing fee, and "I financed it," Newman said.[/B]

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/115579914.html[/quote]

Remember you are running a publicly traded company Joe. Did you finance it how? Did you file the right form? Did you alert shareholders, the SEC and investor relations Joe? Did you do the due diligence that the owner needed to submit? Did you send a prospectus to the investor Joe? Did you send out a comparison to the owner showing what outside financing would cost Joe?

Or were you misquoted. You better call Dick Tinkham and have him dust off some books on the legalities of a CEO of a publicly traded company financing new investment into the company Joe.

Just saying'

Oh ya...................what the hell is a licensing fee Joe? First I've heard of that. Remember you were calling it a franchise fee? Then it was a market reservation fee? Now it is a licensing fee???????? License for what? This owner better check what exactly was financed. If Joe doesn't have a license from the NBA to run the ABA, what can he possible license? Another ABA Utah shell company maybe?
Last edited by Paul S on Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

wisminorlgefan89
Site Admin

Post by wisminorlgefan89 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:40 am

I know this league is a joke but I will still go check out a game or 2
Favorite Teams:
AFL-Milwaukee Mustangs
IFL-La Crosse Spartans
ABA-Milwaukee Blast
NBDL-Iowa Energy
AHL-Milwaukee Admirals
CHL-Quad City Mallards
USHL-Cedar Rapids Roughriders