Arizona winter league

The Golden Baseball League (GBL) forum
indyproball
Site Admin

Arizona winter league

Post by indyproball » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:14 am

I see on the GBL/AWL website that 120 players signed to play, then 140, now 150 with only 10 player spots left!

I'm in contact with several players from last year in the GBL along with a GBL manager. None of them are getting any call backs or info at all.....

I also know of several players that have called and left messages wanting to play AWL and no call backs......

The Edmonton link from the GBL site goes to another non-baseball site now.....

Arizona Winter League Opening Day is a week away!

Predictions anyone? Play Ball? No Shows?

smallballfan
Site Admin

Post by smallballfan » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:03 am

Cash the checks, cease operations... good luck finding them to get your money back.

riverrider35
Site Admin

Post by riverrider35 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:37 pm

The AWL will play and run through, although it will most likely be ran half @$$ if you catch my drift to keep expenses down. The NAL will play this year but will fold after a month or so when the budget of most teams especially the United and Northern that have the further travel run out of money. The NAL- GBL will go into Henderson and play at CCSN home of Bryce Harper, but being a juco no way they can sell alcohol or make a profit.
Sad but the CWL has got over 100 players this year up from 55 last year, people are realizing that CWL is legit and AWL is a fraud now. just to late for a lot of players who put money down

godwulf
Site Admin

Post by godwulf » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:33 pm

Not to try to put a damper on the Snarkfest or anything, but I will be in Yuma on Opening Day of the Winter League - which also happens to be my 57th birthday - and plan to enjoy myself, sitting in the sun and watching Baseball for a couple of days. I'd stay the whole month if I didn't have a job and family.

Will thoughts of payrolls and budgets enter into my thinking? Uh...no. As long as the games I pay to see are played, I'm a happy camper. I want to buy some pennants, and maybe get a few autographs, if any Diamondbacks alumni/recent GBL players, like Albie Lopez or Kim, show up.

My GBL experience has been minimal, up till now. I went to some Mesa Miners games, a few years ago when that team existed...and I drove down to Tucson last year to watch Lopez start for the Toros. But I love minor league Baseball, and I've been a serious AZ Fall League fan for several years. This state is one of the few places on Earth where you can go watch a professional Baseball game, at some level, any month of the year. It's Baseball Heaven - enjoy it!

stg2010 front office
Site Admin

Post by stg2010 front office » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:36 pm

we'll be out there, too, godwulf. looking forward to seeing if these guys can get it right.
Financial problems and mis-administration by the GBL idiots-in-charge on a ludicrous level, notwithstanding, the guys played good ball, evidenced by the number of contracts purchased by MLB teams.
Maui, O.C., Chico, and the Canadians all put good teams on the field and will be fun to watch.
Don't know about Maui, OC, and the others, but Calgary has been promoting like wild men in the off season and keeping fan interest up with events and promotions. They've dropped ticket prices and are aggressive with their promotion program. Taking care of business.
Good to see the city of Fullerton working with the Flyers on a facility, too.
Hey, it's spring, baseball is around the corner and your favorite team is undefeated.
Sweet.

godwulf
Site Admin

Post by godwulf » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:15 pm

This thread has been viewed more than 500 times, and almost no one has anything to say about the AWL - now only a week away?

I see that Eri Yoshida is going to be participating. Did anyone watch her pitch last season? I saw her in Tucson, but she was on the DL at the time, so was only doing a light workout.

What other players do you hope to see in the AWL? Is anyone else interested in players who used to be in the Diamondbacks system? Any hopes or plans for autographs? What, if anything, do you expect, or want to see, in the way of souvenirs and Team Shop stuff? Is anyone else interested in game-used bats and other game-used and game-worn items, and have you had any success collecting GBL or other indy Baseball stuff? How many are going to be bringing a camera and trying to get some good shots? Have you started planning which games you're going to try to attend, and how are you deciding which ones to see and which ones to miss?

indyproball
Site Admin

AWL check-in tomorrow!

Post by indyproball » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:08 pm

Plans are set and players are due to check-in tomorrow at:

Ramada Chilton Conference Center
300 E 32nd Street
Yuma, AZ 85364

928 344 1050

Good Luck Players!

LaVidaLoca
Site Admin

Post by LaVidaLoca » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:04 pm

godwulf...eri does not have the makeup or the tools to play in the US. She will do this for the $$ she made last year with Chico. They paid her like she was a stud and with some gate receipts et all. The AWL will make an effort to fill rosters in the NAL and a few other leagues. NOT a competitive league but some players are willing to dump $3500 to play anywhere...too bad.

sun-escaper
Site Admin

AWL looks legit to me

Post by sun-escaper » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:53 am

Look like they have some very good instructors/coaches and some quality ball players. Looking forward to see some more games. Not sure who maintains their website. Would be nice to see some stats/rosters and listen to some games.

LaVidaLoca
Site Admin

Post by LaVidaLoca » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:33 pm

Sun...AWL was legit 2-3 years ago...not now. Good instructors because they make the $$. 3500 a player X 200 or so...$700,000. I would coach for the $$ they get. Players will be drafted to rosters and some will get a contract...maybe 600/month...maybe. But if you haven't been around awhile, you haven't seen that most will be cut after a month due to the comp level in the leagues they go to. 10 may stay and hold on, but watch the draft then watch the transactions. The AWL HAS to draft them to teams to even have a prayer of doing it every year. But...it is for the coaches and not really LEGIT to many players. Hooray for the AWL giving some players a chance and BOO for taking some players $$ that never will play. Good luck to them all and let's see if the NAL makes it thru the year with 12 teams...maybe 8.

Return to “GBL”