Daily Buzz (ed)??????

The National Indoor Football League (NIFL) forum
thorgsd
Site Admin

Daily Buzz (ed)??????

Post by thorgsd » Sat May 13, 2006 4:01 pm

From Jerry Hewitt's "Daily Buzz"..."Can't really add them to the fire watch over this, but Osceola may have a problem winning the rest of the way as we hear players are leaving or looking for other teams. I guess the problem isn't with the organization, just the lack of playing time due to cancelled games resulting in no checks. Interesting twist, no pay due to no games."

'Don't know where that came from 'cause I know for certain that the players have been paid for all games, including forfeits. In fact, they are paid 2 days after each game, in contrast to the 7 day wait of most other teams. The only issue at hand is a few players nursing minor injuries.

outside source
Site Admin

Post by outside source » Sat May 13, 2006 5:41 pm

where from? other teams that have been contacted by Osceola players. So you're saying all players have been paid for all games scheduled, but not played, right?

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Sat May 13, 2006 10:55 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if teams didn't pay players for canceled games, but in the NIFL that would only be a savings of $4,400 to a team.

NoBallinPDX
Site Admin

Thanks Buzz!

Post by NoBallinPDX » Sat May 13, 2006 11:32 pm

Jerry Hewitt,
My greatest heart-felt thanks for your articles and reporting that you do. I lift the top from my coffee cup and salute!
It's vital that fans and followers of NIFL et al. get timely and accurate information about what is going on throughout the league and behind the scenes. Waiting for CS and league office to cough up 'damage control' spin and propaganda is for the birds! It is little better than NO information at all!
It is only MY opinion, but CS and her onwer/investor cronies need to go back into selling used appliances and cars. That seems to be what they have a much better talant for. Leave running a football league to those who actually love and care about the sport.
I have followed the NIFL sinse it first began, and to lift a semi-quote from the NIFL History web section, The first game ever played in NIFL history was at Medford,Oregon between the S'ern Oregon Heat and the Yakima Shockwave.
Okay, a history refresher: the Heat were done before mid-season. Players were not paid, arena was not paid, etc. The franchise was sold. Moved to Eugene and renamed the Eugene Mercury, and disappeared completely. Yakima faired almost the same fate.
Year after year it is an almost carbon copy recurring theme. I'm sure the owners/investors are (mostly) well meaning and sincere. But something is awfully wrong in the expansion process and needs to be fixed before the entire notion of smaller market indoor football is ruined forever.
I agree that perhaps the best thing is, the NIFL needs to fold, and let the better funded teams catch on to other leagues where they might be allowed to flourish.
Thanks again Mr. Hewitt. And thanks anyone for reading!

outside source
Site Admin

Post by outside source » Sat May 13, 2006 11:33 pm

The teams are under no obligation to pay any player for games not played on the field, unless that player has a contract other than the standard NIFL one.

4400 may not seem allot, but to a team already losing money, it is allot. Not referring to any team in particular, just making a point.

thorgsd
Site Admin

Post by thorgsd » Sun May 14, 2006 2:01 pm

outside source wrote:where from? other teams that have been contacted by Osceola players. So you're saying all players have been paid for all games scheduled, but not played, right?
I am saying players who were slated to dress out for the forfeited games got paid.

the owners of this team are a classy bunch who care about their players.

outside source
Site Admin

Post by outside source » Sun May 14, 2006 8:43 pm

now how would you know that, because there are players who disagree.

outlaw1
Site Admin

Outside Source/Bad Source

Post by outlaw1 » Mon May 15, 2006 12:56 pm

This is not a shot, but is a direct comment to Outside Source. Your sources need upgrading. I know for a fact, being that I know several players, and have followed the team very closely, that even on the forfeits, all players on the game roster have been paid. Leisure Bay/Rec have waited for official forfeit status to pay out players, and followed league rules like classy owners do. Other teams have contacted players because they are GOOD!! Few teams are as loaded as Osceola outside of Lakeland, R.C., and the Guard. So to quote the great movie Stripes , "thats the fact Jack". Sorry to say that the boys really let one slip passed them Saturday. When most of the crowd left at the half because it looked like a blow out, I think the team's intensity left too. Osceola should have won by 40, but hey, that's the game of football.

thorgsd
Site Admin

Post by thorgsd » Mon May 15, 2006 3:31 pm

outside source wrote:now how would you know that, because there are players who disagree.
I know, because I speak on a regular basis with several players who actually PLAY!

outside source
Site Admin

Post by outside source » Mon May 15, 2006 3:38 pm

Well then I'm going to assume that the owner I talked with, who I personally know and trust, was simply lied to by some players in Florida.

Return to “NIFL”