And Sioux City makes it official

exit322
Site Admin

Post by exit322 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:27 pm

[quote=""IndoorExpert""]I definitely agree with exit here. Sioux City has the money to continue, but Bob will never spend like Billings or Sioux Falls. He is very successful at minimizing his losses by not over spending. The bills have always been paid in Sioux City. He knows he cant win against the big spenders.

This is a great addition for the APFL. It definitely brings some creditibility to the APFL. He may even have the players drive themselves to a few games and cut a huge travel expense. Also, the APFL has a sliding scale player salary system which means he can probably pay little to nothing for some players just looking for an opportunity. This is about money and wins, plain and simple. Would be awful sad if the Koyotes or Iowa still won the championship though.[/quote]

Iowa is probably still the favorite - but the APFL is fun in that really, any of the five teams (sorry, Junction City) can win it.

Here's the thing - Bob has been showing us for a decade how a successful indoor football team can be built, marketed, and reasonably financially successful. Maybe people should have followed that instead of peeing away $100K a year, if they're lucky, trying to win with guys that couldn't get a sniff in the CFL.
What are you doing here?

IndoorExpert
Site Admin

Post by IndoorExpert » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:26 pm

[quote=""exit322""]Iowa is probably still the favorite - but the APFL is fun in that really, any of the five teams (sorry, Junction City) can win it.

Here's the thing - Bob has been showing us for a decade how a successful indoor football team can be built, marketed, and reasonably financially successful. Maybe people should have followed that instead of peeing away $100K a year, if they're lucky, trying to win with guys that couldn't get a sniff in the CFL.[/quote]

Have to agree again. Bob did run a team and break even many years. I guess he is smarter than people give him credit for. He also has one of the better indoor stories to tell in Fred Jackson now being a legitimate starter in the NFL. I think they kind of need to win a championship for this story to be really good.

exit322
Site Admin

Post by exit322 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:20 pm

If I were ever to have the cash and start an indoor football team, Bob would be one of the first people I'd call about how to run things like a business and do it right. Bottom line.
What are you doing here?

IndoorExpert
Site Admin

Post by IndoorExpert » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:28 pm

Being the ex-mayor didnt hurt at all.

tony-o
Site Admin

Post by tony-o » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:54 pm

It seems like a lot of people are out of touch with the APFL recently, especially hearing the "games not being played" comment every once in a while, which is a little funny when the APFL played every game as scheduled except one (and even that game had a legitimate excuse: Junction City couldn't play Springfield because they made it to the CPFL championship, and were replaced by CPFL's Springfield team). The APFL has a stable core of teams with Kansas, Iowa, Springfield, and Mid-Missouri; all of these teams have been around in some form since at least 2006. Kansas actually finished fourth last year, a sign that the competitive standards have raised a bit. All these teams are either professional teams or run things as if they were. I'd say this was a good decision by the Bandits, and it will be interesting to see if this leads to anything else for the APFL.

jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:57 pm

What are the rules regarding the pay of players in the APFL?

tony-o
Site Admin

Post by tony-o » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:24 am

[quote=""jerry101jlh""]What are the rules regarding the pay of players in the APFL?[/quote]
I just asked this on another board, and was basically told that it is a hybrid pro/semi-pro league. Iowa and Kansas pay their players, Mid-Missouri and Springfield don't. I was surprised to hear that those teams didn't, based on how well they play, but they don't try to hide it and they still manage to get players so they can be competitive. It's something I'm surprised we haven't seen more of in this sport, especially with teams in the CIFL and AIFA that could use relief from the extra costs.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:09 pm

Oh, we've seen players not get paid in other leagues, they just weren't told in advance.

exit322
Site Admin

Post by exit322 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:41 pm

The IFL could be in serious trouble if the Bandits keep drawing 3000 fans a game and thus become profitable in the APFL.

That's where the greatest gain can be for the APFL. Since SC did it, any owner trying to be a businessman first is going to look at them now.
What are you doing here?

jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:17 pm

[quote=""exit322""]The IFL could be in serious trouble if the Bandits keep drawing 3000 fans a game and thus become profitable in the APFL.

That's where the greatest gain can be for the APFL. Since SC did it, any owner trying to be a businessman first is going to look at them now.[/quote]

I think attendance most likely will drop off. I can easily see Bob Scott cutting even more corners to save money, including going the no pay route for players.

I think there was a big deal made over Beaumont joining the APFL as well. Lots of hype that it elevated the APFL and look how that turned out. And no not comparing SC to Beaumont as to quality of franchise, just saying the biuzz at the time was much like now.

Return to “Indoor/Arena Football”