Houston Stallions

The Southern Indoor Football League (SIFL) forum
Trish_lvs_Baltimore
Site Admin

Houston Stallions

Post by Trish_lvs_Baltimore » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:04 am

Houston Stallions are the SIFL's newest team. This franchise sounds promising!!!
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated. Founded 1908.
The First and Always The Finest

super390
Site Admin

Post by super390 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:23 pm

[quote=""Trish_lvs_Baltimore""]Houston Stallions are the SIFL's newest team. This franchise sounds promising!!![/quote]

Oh, if you only knew the history of the SIFL in Houston. The team that played at the rental indoor soccer facility that didn't really have any seats, and was so decrepit that the owner shut down the franchise using the excuse that it was unsafe to play there. The team that was supposed to start the following season but could never prove that it had a lease, and created the maximum mess for the league by not showing up for its first game and then folding.

At least this team is in a decent arena in a promising location, if it was willing to spend the tons of money needed to attract attention in Houston's far-flung suburbs. I will hope for the best.

Mayne84
Site Admin

Post by Mayne84 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:47 am

I think they may be back in the Berry Center in Cypress. Seems like a bad location if it is. I was hoping they could get reliant arena. but i know thats a pretty penny too. plus arranging their schedule to fit around the events that go on in that arena is pretty difficult to do

BlackbeardsGhost
Site Admin

Post by BlackbeardsGhost » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:09 am

<shaking my head in wonder that some continue the same ineffective actions again & again expecting to eventually arrive at a different result>

IndoorExpert
Site Admin

Post by IndoorExpert » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:43 am

[quote=""BlackbeardsGhost""]<shaking my head in wonder that some continue the same ineffective actions again & again expecting to eventually arrive at a different result>[/quote]

Isnt that the definition for crazy?

arenafan
Site Admin

great arena

Post by arenafan » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:26 pm

[quote=""Mayne84""]I think they may be back in the Berry Center in Cypress. Seems like a bad location if it is. I was hoping they could get reliant arena. but i know thats a pretty penny too. plus arranging their schedule to fit around the events that go on in that arena is pretty difficult to do[/quote]

Check out this arena. http://www.berrycenter.net/newphotos3.html this place is perfect not to mention the outdoor turf football stadium which will serve as their practice facility. Maybe the location is bad but from an image stand point it raises the bar. Almost all of the SIFL teams have excellent arenas, Lafayette, Columbus, Albany, Corpus (Great arena), Houston, Mobile. THe only sub par arenas would be Lake Charles.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:51 pm

It's a fantastic facility, I've been to many events there. The af2 Texas Copperheads played there and the attendance was horrible. Since it's owned by a school district, no beer. No Tailgating allowed. Of course we still did it but they do come by and check to see if there's any alcohol or smoking, which also isn't allowed on school property.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:55 am

No beer is usually pretty bad for pro sports events. For minor league venues, it can be big $$$. (That $5 Meisterchunk usually costs about 35 cents for the beer and about $1 in labor and overhead. The rest is pure profit.) Some arenas will spilt the concessions if the team draws enough fans.

BlackbeardsGhost
Site Admin

Post by BlackbeardsGhost » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:43 am

[quote=""IndoorExpert""]Isnt that the definition for crazy?[/quote]

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better!

super390
Site Admin

Post by super390 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:36 pm

[quote=""Caballo Diablo""]It's a fantastic facility, I've been to many events there. The af2 Texas Copperheads played there and the attendance was horrible. Since it's owned by a school district, no beer. No Tailgating allowed. Of course we still did it but they do come by and check to see if there's any alcohol or smoking, which also isn't allowed on school property.[/quote]

By searching this site I was able to discover what had happened to the Copperheads. The last few home games they were beginning to turn it around in attendance, but the beer impasse discouraged the owner from continuing.

The thing that makes the location compelling is that all the growth in Houston has been towards the Northwest for 30 years. Cypress is practically a near suburb compared to Katy or the Woodlands. By growth, I mean people with money. The problem is that those people maybe don't need a good ten-buck football game.

A team probably needs to be marketed as the Houston representative of the highest league in a sport, or the folks near Cypress won't think it important enough to bother. I just don't see the SIFL making a credible sale with the kind of names it brings to the table.

Return to “SIFL”