Billings Outlaws to Cease Operations

The Indoor Football League (IFL) forum
jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:38 pm

[quote=""Trish_lvs_Baltimore""]I'm not too sure that this possible merger would be a bad thing. It may spur potential growth, kind of like what the IFL did with the merger between the Intense Football League and United Indoor Football.

By the way, I have a friend who was in the Maryland Maniacs front office. He tells me that the Maniacs are in the process of trying to possibly join the AIFA. But how can this be? I keep hearing that they folded.[/quote]

Rumored but with good sources a merger of some type with the SIFL. Not sure we'll ever know the true details, but merger or not I'm sure expansion still on the table although I can't see the Maniacs a good pick up for any league.

On your questioning of the east and west. I think there was a partnership split between Mink and Morris. I've heard nothing to draw this conclusion from other than Mink taking over the running of the west and the west being totally separate from the east.

I think Morris has taken his share and dealt it to the SIFL who I understand was the only interested league. I don't see the west being in any better position as its just as weak as the east and has fewer options if Mink intends to sell it off. The only logical buyer would be the IFL and outside of Yakima I don't think there's anything the IFL would want. A year from now that might all change of course.

My only hope for the AIFA at this point is to stop the bleeding and begin the job of saving markets where teams already exist.

exit322
Site Admin

Post by exit322 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:29 pm

I think Mink's from out west, Morris out east. Don't believe it's more or less than that.
What are you doing here?

DCAbloob
Site Admin

Post by DCAbloob » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:00 pm

[quote=""Trish_lvs_Baltimore""]I'm not too sure that this possible merger would be a bad thing. It may spur potential growth, kind of like what the IFL did with the merger between the Intense Football League and United Indoor Football.

By the way, I have a friend who was in the Maryland Maniacs front office. He tells me that the Maniacs are in the process of trying to possibly join the AIFA. But how can this be? I keep hearing that they folded.[/quote]

There was never any verifiable word that the Maniacs folded. The only thing known with absolute certainty is that the Maniacs are no longer affiliated with the Indoor Football League. The rest has been unofficial speculation met with official silence.

MediaMan
Site Admin

Post by MediaMan » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:14 am

A rumored AIFA East, SIFL merger by my count would provide for a 15 team league with teams in almost every state from New Jersey down the east coast and wrapping around to the Gulf Coast: Trenton (New Jersey), Erie and Harrisburg (Penn), Baltimore (Maryland), Richmond (Va), Fayetteville (NC), Columbus and Albany (Georgia), Mobile (Alabama), Louisiana and Lafayette, and four Texas teams (Abilene, CC, Houston, and Rio Grande.

The only states without teams would be Delaware, South Carolina, Florida, and Mississippi. From a travel perspective would be very nice set-up if the divisions are set-up correctly.

indoor fan
Site Admin

Post by indoor fan » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:32 pm

[quote=""jerry101jlh""]I'm sorry if I inferred Billings to be a weak link as clearly they aren't. I wouldn't consider Sioux City a weak link either as they are rumored to be done. Although the SC owner can be a real pain, the bills there always paid.

I assume you are referring to Prescott as the folded AIFA team. This team is under completely new ownership with old having zero part in anything. The new ownership made a deal with the previous owners to use the name. I was told by official league sources that Prescott has big media money behind them and had that not be the case, entry would have been denied.

I use the word desire as I see the IFL actually taking needed steps to improve stability. I fail to see any of that by competing leagues.expect maybe the CIFL. Official sources told me the league has upped franchise fees and taken other steps to more stabilize that league and I've seen nothing as of yet to dispute any of that. I can not say any of that by either the AIFA or SIFL as appears to be business as usual in both. In fact news coming soon out of either or both might very well go to prove my point.[/quote]

What kind of kool aid are you drinking? Is losing 40% of your teams considered to be the "steps" to improve stability?

Since last season, the IFL has had 10 teams either fold or move on to other indoor leagues. If the IFL was so much more "stable" than all the other leagues, this would not be happening. Not to mention, the premiere team in the league, Billings has gone belly up.

The next question is how will this affect Wyoming? Now that Sioux City and Billings are gone, their travel will be outrageous. Not to mention an Arizona team that is AIFA reject.

The IFL has lost a higher percentage of teams than the AIFA and SIFL. Which brings us back to the fact that the IFL is just as unstable as the other indoor leagues.

Don't drink Jerry's kool aid.

suge night
Site Admin

Post by suge night » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:47 pm

Onto the business at hand you are correct Jerry has been drinking from the company punch bowl.

The ifl has issues and no matter what is being said when a team attends the league meetings and then have to shut it down the league isn't cutting any fat on its own the economy is pulling the counter punches here.

Truth be told this bull about the ifl letting go of weaker organizations is not by design, the perfect model according to one Kool Aid drinker is outdated within the current economy and taking suckers cash and them allowing ego to guide the business plan for the teams success is a great model for 3 tier marketing.

But in today's business climate bad for the investor, but since this is America let there be suckers and ifl success everyday . ;)
Last edited by suge night on Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bouncer_Texxx
Site Admin

Post by Bouncer_Texxx » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:15 pm

[quote=""indoor fan""]What kind of kool aid are you drinking? Is losing 40% of your teams considered to be the "steps" to improve stability?

Since last season, the IFL has had 10 teams either fold or move on to other indoor leagues. If the IFL was so much more "stable" than all the other leagues, this would not be happening. Not to mention, the premiere team in the league, Billings has gone belly up.

The next question is how will this affect Wyoming? Now that Sioux City and Billings are gone, their travel will be outrageous. Not to mention an Arizona team that is AIFA reject.

The IFL has lost a higher percentage of teams than the AIFA and SIFL. Which brings us back to the fact that the IFL is just as unstable as the other indoor leagues.

Don't drink Jerry's kool aid.[/quote]

Things were so much nicer when you were banned/away. Thanks so ever freaking much for derailing this thread with your anti-indoor tripe. Of the ten teams that moved or folded only the last two were anywhere in the vicinity of what i would consider a quality team. To be sure Loosing Billings and Sioux City hurts, and it sucks more for Sioux Falls, because we won't get a change to rightfully take the championship back from Billings, nor will we get 1 or 2 easy 70 mile road trips next spring. Sucks for Wyoming since they lost one of their two closest rivals. I wouldn't count Billings out just yet, $42,000 is not an insurmountable sum... The IFL was adding teams in December last year. Bob just needs to suck it up and quit whining in Sioux City.

super390
Site Admin

Post by super390 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:44 pm

There's one easy question that will shut up bashers and worshippers of various leagues.

If you had to invest $100 in an indoor football league for five years, which one would you choose?

I think at that point the issue of how many teams have folded becomes secondary to the size of the league overall and the quality of the remaining teams. Would Blackbeard's Ghost really bet $100 on AIFA being here in 2015? Would Indoor Fan really say that any of them have a better chance of surviving as an entity than the IFL?

Whether I like the IFL or not (and I don't like some of its fans), that's where my $100 would go. If an AIFA team now tried to extort a bailout from a city government it would be laughed out of town because it has no leverage. At least the Outlaws are getting serious attention with their holdup attempt.

indoor fan
Site Admin

Post by indoor fan » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:41 pm

[quote=""super390""]There's one easy question that will shut up bashers and worshippers of various leagues.

If you had to invest $100 in an indoor football league for five years, which one would you choose?

I think at that point the issue of how many teams have folded becomes secondary to the size of the league overall and the quality of the remaining teams. Would Blackbeard's Ghost really bet $100 on AIFA being here in 2015? Would Indoor Fan really say that any of them have a better chance of surviving as an entity than the IFL?

Whether I like the IFL or not (and I don't like some of its fans), that's where my $100 would go. If an AIFA team now tried to extort a bailout from a city government it would be laughed out of town because it has no leverage. At least the Outlaws are getting serious attention with their holdup attempt.[/quote]

First off, you don't invest in leagues, you invest in individual franchises.

If you research the successful indoor franchises that have been around for more than five years (Corpus Christi, Louisiana, Omaha, Wyoming, etc,) you will see that they have bounced back and forth from the various indoor leagues.

So you can see that the various indoor leagues (SIFL, IFL, AIFA, CIFL) really are the same level of football, as the teams bounce from league to league.

So right now I would invest my $100 in the Corpus Christi or Louisiana franchises.

Return to “IFL”