The Indoor Football League (IFL) forum
preeths
Site Admin

Billings Outlaws to Cease Operations

Post by preeths » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:43 pm

BananaCat
Site Admin

Post by BananaCat » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:08 pm

With the amount of money they sunk into building the metraplex, as well as upgrading it for the playoff run after the tornado last year, you'd think just over $100k would be a drop in bucket. Either they're financially strapped now like they say or this turned into a pissing contest that got out of control and Parnell decided to go out on a winning note and say eff you to the county.

A shame that one of the greatest indoor franchises will go out like this.
Indoor Football Forum .com

Indoor Football Forum
on Facebook and Twitter

Live Scores
on Twitter and Facebook

ogfredog
Site Admin

Post by ogfredog » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:11 pm

...until the County government caves in and allows the Outlaws to keep the ticket tax. I wonder where the insurance for the building or equipment went? Must not have had all-state.

BananaCat
Site Admin

Post by BananaCat » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:28 pm

Don't believe the commercials, all insurance companies try to find ways not to pay. Trust me, if you ever have to battle an insurance company you get an ambulance-chaser lawyer on your side...insurance is a dirty business.

Indoor Football Forum
on Facebook and Twitter

Live Scores
on Twitter and Facebook

BananaCat
Site Admin

Post by BananaCat » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:55 pm

I made the drive to Billings from Omaha twice, both for playoff games.

The first was in 2004 with a big van full of Beef fans. After halftime, a Wyoming fan who had made the drive up to see the game sat with us and was just enjoying the atmosphere and helped us cheer on the Beef. I always thought that was a great thing and it inspired me to see over 30 live games across the country in 2005 and always root for the away team when possible. Some traveling fans thought it strange for me to sit with them and root for their team, but most gladly accepted it. After the Beef lost to Billings in that game we had a mini-after party loss by the van with music blaring and a stadium official came up to us and lamented that that would probably be the last year of Billings indoor football. Little did he guess that new ownership would save the day, or build the new practice facility, and eventually lead Billings to become one of the best teams of all time in indoor football.

The last trip was in 2008 with 3 other Beef fans, again for a playoff game. We had high hopes of a Beef win this time around after the Beef had successfully ended Sioux Falls undefeated run of a couple years before fading right before the playoffs. Coach Fuller and Fullerzgirl even showed up and sat with us, great to always see the greatest coach of all time (maybe not in wins and championships, but in character and personality). Billings won yet again, delivering another crushing blow to us Beef faithful. It was still nice to see a great team like Billings, which was beginning to show their rise to challenge Sioux Falls in the coming years, play and to see their fans get into the experience.

When Billings came to your town, you knew you were in for a good show and a hard fought battle.

Billings has some great fans and the team was a great part of their community. It's sad to see Billings go, and I for one hope they'll be able to return despite the current situation. A long shot, but perhaps the county will see the error of their ways.

Indoor Football Forum
on Facebook and Twitter

Live Scores
on Twitter and Facebook

daytonadan
Site Admin

Post by daytonadan » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:05 pm

Wow. That's a big story.
Former Hall Monitor
Mrs. Brown's 4th Grade Class, Faulkner Elementary
New Smyrna Beach, Florida, 1974-75
"I Have More Important Things To Occupy My Time That What's Being Said On Message Boards -- OSC Founder Paul Reeths"
"There's a sucker born every minute" -- PT Barnum

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:38 pm

Sounds like a game of brinksmanship that went horribly wrong. The biggest question in my mind is why wasn't the turf insured? That's usually the team's responsibility and I doubt it would have cost that much. It's not like Billings is in the tornado belt.

secg
Site Admin

Fever Owner's Reaction

Post by secg » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:58 pm

I asked fever owner teri carr what she thought about all of this, and how it would affect the fever and she had this to say...

"Well, I'm not going to jump the gun and say they are out for sure. I know what the press release says, but keep in mind in 2005 when it looked like the Americans where going to cease operations. Fans come out of the woodwork and miracles happen. I am going to wait and see if the press release and some upset fans will apply some additional pressure to the city of Billings. Maybe they will decide to work with the Outlaws.

If it does end up happening for sure it really doesn't effect the Fever other than we will have to travel a little further for one of our away games. None of their players have been released yet. Until their players are released they can not be contacted by any other team.

The downside is that Billings has been a stable team and one of the original indoor football teams, so it would be a shame to lose such good business partners.

Stay tuned...I don't think this story is over.

Teri"

exit322
Site Admin

Post by exit322 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:09 am

I totally, unequivocally agree with Teri here.
What are you doing here?

Bouncer_Texxx
Site Admin

Post by Bouncer_Texxx » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:22 am

Return to “IFL”