Chris Dixon leaving Billings

The Indoor Football League (IFL) forum
LewInDenver
Site Admin

Chris Dixon leaving Billings

Post by LewInDenver » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:25 am

Ok, this just doesnt make any sense to me. I understand wanting to go play in the AFL where he has a chance to make a little better money then in the IFL and gain some national exposure. What I dont understand is him listing "other" IFL teams he would play for. Fresno makes some sense if he was going back to where he grew up and lives, but according to the article he plans to stay living in BILLING!???? WTF. Why would he, if the money is the same in the IFL throw out "Wyoming, Sioux Falls, and Tri Cities" as places he would want to play? Wouldn't you go back for the 3-peat? Would you not play in the city where you live? I don't know how I would take this if I was a Billings season ticket holder. If he said I want to go play close to home and it's in Wisconsin I could see him going that direction, but to list the 3 prime rivals just doesnt set with me. If John Elway would have said I'm going to retire OR go play for the Oakland Raiders he would would have been run out of town with no chance of any Post-career opportunities. Is there something going on we dont know about. This seems like a slap in the face of the Billings team and fans. If he doesnt come back, the power shift in the conference is big, let alone in the division. I can hear the Cavalry fans here in Denver. What do you Billings fans think?
OUT

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:04 am

If his contract is up, he has the right to go where he wants. There's no reserve clause in indoor football and it wouldn't hold up if there was. He even has the right to make a bad decision or an unpopular one. A couple cities on his list have solid QBs, so that would make things interesting. He might wind up someplace where the chemistry is different than what he has in Billings.
You mentioned the Raiders. Talk about a place that had plenty of teams with great talent and no one could get along.
While his speaking out may not have been the most politically astute or polite thing to do to the Billings' fans, I have a feeling if he re-signed, all would be forgiven.

Whateverittakes
Site Admin

Post by Whateverittakes » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:00 am

I am wondering what the outlaws have to say about it.

arenafan
Site Admin

Get Real

Post by arenafan » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:22 pm

I just read the article about Dixon leaving. This is just his agent trying to get Dixon more money from Billings. He said in the offer that they are giving AFL until Oct 16th to get the right offer on the table. HELLO you idiot, the AFL pays the same 400 dollars across the board ( so pay under the table like Billings does) unless you are the franchise player and Dixon is an unproved AFL player so that wont happen. It looks like Billings is going to have to pay a little more under the table than they already are. They is no reason for his agent to put that article out unless they wanted to get Billings attention. These guys need to get a clue.

just do it
Site Admin

Post by just do it » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:58 pm

"I am wondering what the outlaws have to say about it. "

well if billings doesnt release his rights he'll have to sit 3 games next season. Unless the team he wants to go to trades for him or pays billings some money. So should be interesting how this plays out!!!!

LewInDenver
Site Admin

Post by LewInDenver » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:38 pm

I'm not debating the contractual end of it, OR his right to earn a living, we all have that, but most of us don't do it in front of our adoring fans that we just took to two United Cups. I'm coming at it as fan (as mentioned in the Elway example) there is a classy was to do it, and in this case, IMHO the wrong way to do it. As stated above, it also further proves the pay under the table notion about Billings. If all pay was equal between the 4 teams why would he go anywhere else? He's put Billing in a no win situation now, if he stays the assumption will be he getting it under the table, even if he's not. If he goes, but stays living in Billings, the assumption is the team that he goes to is paying him under the table (as long as he stays in the IFL), and Billings let him get away. I agree he's a unproven talent in the AFL and may not get the $$$$ he thinks he deserves. Doesn't he have enough pull with his current ownership to get it done, they 2 trophies because of him. It just doesn't sit right from this fans opinion.
OUT

Indoorfootballguy
Site Admin

Post by Indoorfootballguy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:51 am

Doesn't Dixon live in Everett, Washington? If so, then I think Tri-Cities and Wenatchee have a great chance at landing Dixon. Venom WR Phillip Goodman is also great friends with Dixon

tim2gehr
Site Admin

Post by tim2gehr » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:43 am

Hometown: Oakland, California

He lives in Billings for football season then goes back to Oakland.

[quote=""Indoorfootballguy""]Doesn't Dixon live in Everett, Washington? If so, then I think Tri-Cities and Wenatchee have a great chance at landing Dixon. Venom WR Phillip Goodman is also great friends with Dixon[/quote]

LewInDenver
Site Admin

Post by LewInDenver » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:00 am

In the article I thought it says he plans to live in Billings in the off-season, did I read that wrong?
OUT

IndoorExpert
Site Admin

Post by IndoorExpert » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:32 am

Chris does have a home in Billings. I am not sure I understand the problem with a man shopping himself as a free agent. How is what he is doing "wrong"? It isnt, it is a man utilizing himself as a free enterprise. We all know that indoor football pays under the table. Can we stop pretending it doesnt happen? Stop being so naive or trying to fool the masses.

Many football players want a new challenge. How many athletes move from team to team. Billings should be happy he brought the town 3 championships, and wish him well in wherever he ends up. If he stays in that city, he should be met with great pride that he did as much as he did for the community. Chris is a fine young man, and deserves no backlash for looking at new opportunities.

Elway is a poor example as he selfishly put himself above all. He forced the teams hand many times even getting Dan Reeves fired even though he guided them to 3 Super Bowls. A man that lived a very troubled personal life through Denver. I wouldnt compare that to Chris at all.

Return to “IFL”