PBL Standings

The Premier Basketball League (PBL) forum
PaulD
Site Admin

PBL Standings

Post by PaulD » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:28 pm

Looking over the league standings I see the Saint John Mill Rats had six wins and the Kentucky Bluegrass Stallions had three wins last year? I did not know either team played in the PBL last year.

Lets not rewrite history. Keep the towns and team names consistent from when they played. I hope the PBL corrects this.

Chuck the Writer
Site Admin

Post by Chuck the Writer » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Regarding the Saint John Mill Rats, technically it is the same franchise (although not the same city) as the Manchester Millrats, their record and team history is continued from the past two seasons.

PaulD
Site Admin

Post by PaulD » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:16 am

Chuck

Changing the town name from Manchester to St John in the 2010 standings is like changing Andre Dawson and Gary Carter's Montreal Expo caps to the Washington DC Nationals cap in the baseball hall of fame. Manchester is where PBL games were played in 2010 not St John and we should not refer to that team as the St John Mill Rats. Its disrespectful to all the fans they had in Manchester.

I am surprised you have that other view since you seem to be a history buff, recovering all those stats of the CBA.

Chuck the Writer
Site Admin

Post by Chuck the Writer » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:57 am

[quote=""PaulD""]Chuck

Changing the town name from Manchester to St John in the 2010 standings is like changing Andre Dawson and Gary Carter's Montreal Expo caps to the Washington DC Nationals cap in the baseball hall of fame. Manchester is where PBL games were played in 2010 not St John and we should not refer to that team as the St John Mill Rats. Its disrespectful to all the fans they had in Manchester.

I am surprised you have that other view since you seem to be a history buff, recovering all those stats of the CBA.[/quote]

The CBA has had tons of teams relocate, and their statistics and history and records have traveled with the team. The Yakima Sun Kings, for example, still had records achieved from when they were the Kansas City Sizzlers - and then the Topeka Sizzlers. It's the franchise, not just the city in which it originated.

Therefore, the Mill Rats' statistics from its two PBL seasons in Manchester count toward any records or achievements it earns this season in Saint John. QED.

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:44 pm

I don't remember which thread it was in(or what forum), but I had posted about this topic. When a team gets a nickname, that name represents the region where it plays(or should). If it moves, the name should be changed to represent the new location. Example, the L.A. Lakers used to be in Minneapolis. The name Lakers fits Minnesota more than L.A..
And the Utah Jazz used to be New Orleans. Jazz fits N.O. more than Utah.

Return to “PBL”