Gbl playoff's

The Golden Baseball League (GBL) forum
TOROSFAN
Site Admin

Gbl playoff's

Post by TOROSFAN » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:08 pm

What is everyone's take on the playoffs? They are not far away and there may be some real travel issues this year. Money issues as well

Possible senarios:

* I think Calgary will win the 2nd half...if they go 11-10 in their last 21 games the other contenders will have to win 15 or 16 and lose only 4 or so...so CALGARY WINS 2nd half.

* Chico has already won the the 1st half so this sets up a US/CANADA playoff...very expensive...for GBL and teams. So, lets say 3 in Chico, and then 2(if necessary), and they will be, in Calgary....BIG $$$. Calgary in US playing TJ so not a bad trip to Chico.

* Maui has won the 1st half and looks to win the 2nd half with their unbelivbeable home-cooked schedule. Thats means best overall record for their opponent and that looks to be OC. Another expensive playoff...and a real problem as OC plays @ Maui their last 6 games. Does the GBL think they can keep OC their for the full 5 game playoff series, a total of 11 games away and no home playoff games for OC...here we go, if Maui gets home-cooked again then controversy will fly!!

* I predict GBL can not do that and Maui gets 3 games and OC gets 2 home games (if necessary), which they will be.

* So, if all trends hold I believe Chico will win the series 3-2 in a barn burner, and Maui should cover 3-2 in a war. That brings us to another travel issue for the championships...Maui vs Chico. Since Maui is in the US(if they win it in Chico), the first 2 should be in Chico then they would travel to Maui for gms 3,4,and 5...big $$$$ again. Can everyone afford this? They have to, it's only fair that a team get their home games and gate also.

**WHAT IF Calgary beats Chico...I hope everyone gets their passports and papers ready for a slam bam last 3 weeks of the season...you guys play this one out.

* Lastly, I think the champs are Chico or Calgary, if they beat Chico in round 1.

Going to be an interesting decision for GBL.
Baseball is Life

stg2010 front office
Site Admin

Post by stg2010 front office » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:47 pm

gonna have to do something about the disgraceful homer-ump situation in Maui, though.
Too bad the GBL is too gutless to put legit umps there.
Am I making it up?
you be the judge. as of today:
on the road, the team is 10-14
at home, 26-7

anybody who's had experience with mainland collegiate teams traveling to Hawaii knows what I'm talking about, too.

Lunkhead
Site Admin

Post by Lunkhead » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:36 am

There is one umpire from Maui and the rest from the GBL, the loses for St. George were due to a team that could not put runs on the board not the calls. And maybe from the great team manager that got drunk everyday on Maui or the crappy attitudes of the players that were staying at the GW. The record of St. George was not due to the umpires but due to the players and coaches. Maui wins at home because they put runs on the board not umpires the last 2 series have had only umpires from the GBL and no Maui umpires so explain my friend.

[quote=""stg2010 front office""]gonna have to do something about the disgraceful homer-ump situation in Maui, though.
Too bad the GBL is too gutless to put legit umps there.
Am I making it up?
you be the judge. as of today:
on the road, the team is 10-14
at home, 26-7

anybody who's had experience with mainland collegiate teams traveling to Hawaii knows what I'm talking about, too.[/quote]

JFeld127
Site Admin

Post by JFeld127 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:14 am

if only everyone could be lucky enough to get a forfeit win that provided the difference in winning the first half....

Maui has been a tough team this year, for sure, but not having to make their 8-game road trip to the mainland a couple weeks ago kinda sucks.

stg2010 front office
Site Admin

Post by stg2010 front office » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:18 am

lunkhead...focus, if you can...

I was talking about Maui's homer umps, not the Roadrunners' manager or team, or the hotel.

there was ONE GBL ump and 2 homers, the last I time I talked with an ump...which was 2 weeks ago...and he had just gotten back from there. If the GBL has changed things up since then, great.

But, stay with me now lunkhead...I was talking about their record, lunkhead, THEIR record. 10 and 14 on the road, 26-7 at home...explain THAT.

Their road record indicates they are an okay team, not bad, not great. A little less than a .500 club. I'd take that.

Their home record, on the other hand? Please don't tell me it's the ono or the plumeria. Although it could be the John Cruz tunes, I'll give you that.

The league has to send over the umps for any playoff games, what's your problem with that? If Maui wins, cool, if not, still cool.

But don't allow their homers to ump the games.

As noted, Maui backed into the first half win. The GBL is hardly known as a bastion of integrity and there is a reason for that.

TOROSFAN
Site Admin

Post by TOROSFAN » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:36 pm

[quote=""stg2010 front office""]

As noted, Maui backed into the first half win. The GBL is hardly known as a bastion of integrity and there is a reason for that.[/quote]

SAY AMEN stg
Baseball is Life

TOROSFAN
Site Admin

Rumor has it....

Post by TOROSFAN » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:06 am

WOW...as if 27 home games in a row isn't enough for the "maui homer na koa ikaika" , the GBL is now considering playing the 1st round of the playoffs in Maui...all 5 games if necessary...ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! enough is enough and it's time for them to get their as*** on the plane and travel. This would be another first in baseball where the other team gets no home field draw. I know, someone will think this is great and will save $$...bull. The GBL has enough issues and this will lead to massive complaints from sponsors, vendors, and especially fans.

Not to be outdone, I am sure Calgary will win 2nd half and start the playoffs in chico...will the GBL try to do the same thing and have Calgary play all 5 in Chico??? If they want to lose the Canadian teams, that is a sure fire way to do it...once again, vendors, sponsors and the great fans that put the money in the bank would be left out in the cold.

What say you?
Baseball is Life

Sinsan
Site Admin

Post by Sinsan » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:22 am

How in the world can the GBL figure out money or travel for the playoffs? God help us. The Yuma team is coming back from Maui,going to play a series starting Thurs night in OC--sounds pretty simple--there's lots of airports in so cal,right? Logistics tells you they all get on the same plane,same time,right? Oh, hell, no. They are coming back in 3 flights. One set of 13 guys WENT TO SACRAMENTO!!! They are waiting for someone to pick them up and take them to the Greyhound station--oy vey-- to leave at 11pm and travel ALL NIGHT ,stopping in every podunk town, to get to OC who knows when to be fresh to play their game in the evening? Who in the world made these arrangements? OMG stupidity abounds--and these same people are supposed to figure out playoffs,where and when? good luck with that

indyproball
Site Admin

Not professional

Post by indyproball » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:36 pm

Players not getting paid, park leases not being paid, vendors not being paid, 3 flights WITH bus rides?

You got to give credit, they are still in business, they are surviving, but what a great book this season will make!

I just hope all the workers compensation premiums are paid to date. If I was a player, I would DEMAND a certifcate of insurance.

Getting hurt and having coverage denied would be the worst thing that could happen!

skippy
Site Admin

Post by skippy » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:39 pm

[quote=""TOROSFAN""]WOW...as if 27 home games in a row isn't enough for the "maui homer na koa ikaika" , the GBL is now considering playing the 1st round of the playoffs in Maui...all 5 games if necessary...ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! enough is enough and it's time for them to get their as*** on the plane and travel. This would be another first in baseball where the other team gets no home field draw. I know, someone will think this is great and will save $$...bull. The GBL has enough issues and this will lead to massive complaints from sponsors, vendors, and especially fans.

Not to be outdone, I am sure Calgary will win 2nd half and start the playoffs in chico...will the GBL try to do the same thing and have Calgary play all 5 in Chico??? If they want to lose the Canadian teams, that is a sure fire way to do it...once again, vendors, sponsors and the great fans that put the money in the bank would be left out in the cold.

What say you?[/quote]

Albuquerque Dukes vs. Hawaii Islanders 1980 PCL Championship.

Return to “GBL”