OKC Yard Dawgz joining the IFL?

The Indoor Football League (IFL) forum
Indoorfootballguy
Site Admin

OKC Yard Dawgz joining the IFL?

Post by Indoorfootballguy » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:17 am

There was an IFL Rep at the Yard Dawgz game last night? Any idea if they are for sure joining the IFL?

USNinc
Site Admin

Post by USNinc » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:19 am

Are you asking if a Rep was there, repeating a rumor or stating a fact?

To give my best answer....

Maybe. I don't know what the franchise fee is for the AFL but I'm going to guess the IFL is a lot less.
yup

Indoorfootballguy
Site Admin

Post by Indoorfootballguy » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:51 am

Sorry, there was an IFL rep at the Yard Dawgz game last night, he was from the Wichita Wild.

Rooster
Site Admin

Wild

Post by Rooster » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:03 pm

Are you sure it was an IFL rep and not somone from the Witchita Wild, say the head coach Kenny Matous who has deep ties to the AFL? I can see Coach Matous wanting to scout and/or review field management and schemes. It makes him one of the better coaches in the IFL and is worth the drive to rekindle ties to his arena football roots.

However, with the recent news of Huntsville and Shreveport both looking into relocation it would not be shocking to see OKC considering league realignment. One of the more active summers in terms of teams shifting allegiance than in recent memory.
Will Work for Red Bull!

jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:46 pm

With a 6-10 record and having to compete against upper level AFL teams and attendance , although high by IFL standards, lower than upper tier AFL teams, they might be checking out options, especially if the proposed (rumored) af2 clone not anything more than a pipe dream.

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:53 pm

[quote=""jerry101jlh""]With a 6-10 record and having to compete against upper level AFL teams and attendance , although high by IFL standards, lower than upper tier AFL teams, they might be checking out options, especially if the proposed (rumored) af2 clone not anything more than a pipe dream.[/quote]

I'm sorry, but I cannot see a system where Tulsa is major league but OKC is minor league...
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:55 pm

Some of the Wild front office people date back to the Stealth (off the top of my head, the Wild GM was the Stealth GM). When the Stealth was league owned, it was under the administration of the OKC AFL team for a while and Grand Rapids for a while, so there are ties there.
While I have no inside info, it sounds more like a social call than a recruiting call. Could the average IFL budget afford an OKC arena (the Fairgrounds Arena?). I think with the AFL office in Tulsa, they would fight to keep the team in OKC.

aball
Site Admin

Post by aball » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:14 pm

[quote=""Indoorfootballguy""]Sorry, there was an IFL rep at the Yard Dawgz game last night, he was from the Wichita Wild.[/quote]

Maybe he just wanted to watch an AFL game :)

BananaCat
Site Admin

Post by BananaCat » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:46 pm

[quote=""jerry101jlh""] especially if the proposed (rumored) af2 clone not anything more than a pipe dream.[/quote]
On arenafan the rumor is 2012 for tier 2 (aka AF2) to start up. A lot can happen between now and 2012 though. Kurz hinted at 2012 as well, but didn't officially say it would be so.
Indoor Football Forum .com

Indoor Football Forum
on Facebook and Twitter

Live Scores
on Twitter and Facebook

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:54 pm

That should serve as a wake-up call to the indoor leagues. They have the sandbox all to themselves for another year. Will they take advantage of the opportunity and solidify their position or fall victim to fighting amongst themselves? If af2 relaunches, my guess is that it will do so with lower costs than before and will be much more aggressive in recruiting from the indoor leagues, both to gain markets and hinder indoor league competition.

Return to “IFL”