The return of the NIFL

The National Indoor Football League (NIFL) forum
jerry101jlh
Site Admin

The return of the NIFL

Post by jerry101jlh » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:44 pm

Well no, but I see so much NIFL crap still in the sport today that I get the feeling at times the NIFL is alive and well. I've been around this sport far too long, has left me jaded and seeing NIFL like behavior in the AIFA, CIFL, IFL, and SIFL just makes me want to throw up. How ironic that most in these leagues will say how bad the NIFL was and yet are on the same destructive path.

I can't say I'm a fan of this game, I'm not, but am a fan of the fan and fans just deserve better

indoor fan
Site Admin

Post by indoor fan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:01 am

[quote=""jerry101jlh""]Well no, but I see so much NIFL crap still in the sport today that I get the feeling at times the NIFL is alive and well. I've been around this sport far too long, has left me jaded and seeing NIFL like behavior in the AIFA, CIFL, IFL, and SIFL just makes me want to throw up. How ironic that most in these leagues will say how bad the NIFL was and yet are on the same destructive path.

I can't say I'm a fan of this game, I'm not, but am a fan of the fan and fans just deserve better[/quote]

Very true. At this point, you just got to say it's the nature of the business. And also that maybe the NIFL was'nt so bad, afterall.

jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:54 am

[quote=""indoor fan""]Very true. At this point, you just got to say it's the nature of the business. And also that maybe the NIFL was'nt so bad, afterall.[/quote]

Oh no, it was that bad, especially the last two or three seasons. None have yet to equal those years, but are working on it lol

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:21 pm

Agreed, the NIFL was bad. Some of the things the league told teams to keep them from bolting were just plain laughable and transparently untrue, everything from airline deals to former NFL players lining up to buy teams. It wasn't just that the NIFL failed, it was how it failed. I get the feeling that at least the current leagues are making a good, honest effort.

jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:11 pm

Normally a pathological lier is pretty damn good at story telling, but in this case very transparent and made even worse by contradictions even in the same sentence.

Best one was Beyoncé buying a team though.

Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:18 pm

BSF as a sports fan that follows these leagues from a far also ask why keep going back to the same city over and over again when it didn't work before? Going back to a city is fine but what I question is that some of these cities are going through A, B, C and D leagues etc and at a point you have to ask why? Cities when they fail in my opinion shouldn't get teams back right away in another league in my opinion. Why not give the market time to get over the past failure for a few years before going back in my opinion? Because they have a arena that is cheap isn't a good enough reason in my opinion?

I don't understand Rio Grand Valley getting another team in the IFL after being out only a year? Look at some of the AFL cities there in that are struggling badly because there either just to small, bad owner or market simply isn't interested in the arena/indoor football product. Look at a city like my Buffalo we lost the Buffalo Destroyers who I was a season ticket holder for all five years they were in Buffalo. We have the Buffalo Bisons IL baseball but no MLB baseball or MLS soccer to compete with for a arena/indoor football new team yet my market doesn't get considered at all really.

The Buffalo Destroyers AFL moved to Columbus after the 2003 season when our owner Mark Hamister didn't get the Buffalo Sabres NHL and control of HSBC Arena so he sold to Columbus, Ohio.

Buffalo has been mentioned once for a potential Buffalo af2 franchise with Thurman Thomas and the IFL Rochester Raiders old owner as owners a few years ago but other than that nothing. I believe HSBC Arena lease nogotiations had alot to do with them not getting in Buffalo for af2, high rent cost but high potential reward.

My point Buffalo hasn't been mentioned at all for any of these arena/indoor football leagues which I find strange when all these other cities are failing for a number of reasons but seem to have owners coming back for more with attendance of 3,000 or less in alot of cases why?

I will close with this look at the results of the failed Buffalo Destroyers AFL franchise record and attendance yet Buffalo doesn't get a second chance in any of theses leagues. I find that very strange we aren't even mention by none of these league here is the stats. Tell me why Rio Grand and some of these cities over and over but no Buffalo. The Buffalo Destroyers AFL never drew under 7,000 average per game yearly average for our five years in Buffalo from 1999-2003.

Yet Buffalo, NY I guess is a bad market to arena/indoor football league people? I question that from some of these screwed up leagues some of the markets there picking are alot more questionable then Buffalo, NY in my opinion. Then some wonder why do these league have problems? One of the many reasons is they are in markets they shouldn't be in and markets they proable should be in they aren't in, in my opinion.

Buffalo Destroyers Yearly Results
Season Record Pct. Playoffs Avg Attendance
1999 1-13 0.071 No playoffs 12,013
2000 5-9 0.357 L-at Arizona 7,048
2001 6-8 0.429 No playoffs 8,026
2002 6-8 0.429 L-at Orlando 7,279
2003 5-11 0.313 No playoffs 7,622

I will let Buffalo's record and average attendance speak for itself it has been coming up on 8 years and counting yet no mention of Buffalo for arena/indoor football Buffalo franchise. Were waiting in Buffalo for when one of these football leagues sees the light who knows? When they do I will buy season tickets along with many other Buffalonians I am sure. I loved the arena football league season it connected the NFL and college football seasons nicely for football all year long in Buffalo. If you build it in Buffalo, NY they will come. Let's Go Buffalo
The above post is in my opinion and I have no proof or link. I am just a Buffalo sports fan.

jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:34 pm

The problem isn't that Buffalo is over looked so much as no local ownership steps up. Buffalo and others in the same boat are better off in most cases to not have a team than have one with out of area ownership that could care less about the community. Just take a look at the AIFA and how their leadership just sets up teams anywhere without local ownership and no real marketing plan. Generally these fail in a year or two or draw poorly because mo marketing means nobody in town even knows the team exists.

I am sure Buffalo would be a great market, but you should hope if a team returns it will be with good solid and committed local ownership. If not you could be just another market for some league to leave a trail of unpaid bills and disgruntled fans.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:09 pm

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""]
Buffalo Destroyers Yearly Results
Season Record Pct. Playoffs Avg Attendance
1999 1-13 0.071 No playoffs 12,013
2000 5-9 0.357 L-at Arizona 7,048
2001 6-8 0.429 No playoffs 8,026
2002 6-8 0.429 L-at Orlando 7,279
2003 5-11 0.313 No playoffs 7,622 [/quote]
Instead of Raw numbers let's looks at the comparrison to the other teams.

1999 - Buffalo's average attendance was 2,000 above the league average.
..... And was ranked 6th out of 15 teams.

2000 - 2,570 below league average and ranked 13th out of 17 teams

2001 - 1,162 below L Ave and 14th out of 19

2002 - 2,679 below L ave and 12th out of 16

2003 - 3,775 below L ave and 15th out of 16

Just for fun let's look at the numbers in Columbus;

2004 - 16,286 = 4,267 above League average and 2nd out of 19 teams

2005 - 15,229 = 2,400 above L ave and 4th out of 17 teams

2006 - 12,082 = 296 below L ave and 11th out of 18

2007 - 14,044 = 1,652 above L ave and 7th out of 19

2008 - 13,892 - 935 above L ave and 7th out of 17

Buffalo was below league ave 4 out of 5 years
Columbus was above L ave 4 out of 5 years. Oh yeah, C-Bus played in the ArenaBowl.

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""]
I will let Buffalo's record and average attendance speak for itself it has been coming up on 8 years and counting yet no mention of Buffalo for arena/indoor football Buffalo franchise.[/quote]
It doesn't seem to be speaking very well.

Just sayin'

Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:11 am

[quote=""Caballo Diablo""]Instead of Raw numbers let's looks at the comparrison to the other teams.

1999 - Buffalo's average attendance was 2,000 above the league average.
..... And was ranked 6th out of 15 teams.

2000 - 2,570 below league average and ranked 13th out of 17 teams

2001 - 1,162 below L Ave and 14th out of 19

2002 - 2,679 below L ave and 12th out of 16

2003 - 3,775 below L ave and 15th out of 16

Just for fun let's look at the numbers in Columbus;

2004 - 16,286 = 4,267 above League average and 2nd out of 19 teams

2005 - 15,229 = 2,400 above L ave and 4th out of 17 teams

2006 - 12,082 = 296 below L ave and 11th out of 18

2007 - 14,044 = 1,652 above L ave and 7th out of 19

2008 - 13,892 - 935 above L ave and 7th out of 17

Buffalo was below league ave 4 out of 5 years
Columbus was above L ave 4 out of 5 years. Oh yeah, C-Bus played in the ArenaBowl.

It doesn't seem to be speaking very well.

Just sayin'[/quote]

Caballo Diablo you spin numbers any way you want and the bottom line is Buffalo had very bad teams with the Buffalo Destroyers with on the field product yet still never had a average under 7,000 for a year. How is some of your AFL markets doing 7,000 plus would look pretty good compared to some of the clubs presently in the AFL. As for the IFL if your saying the IFL shouldn't go to Buffalo wow you are very misinformed.

Caballo Diablo I never said Buffalo is a better football market then Columbus because it isn't we agree there. I am not a Buffalo homer and I can attmit that Buffalo didn't get the job done the first time. I can look at it objectively and say sorry but Buffalo in my opinion should get a second chance in one of these leagues. Even through Buffalo isn't a Columbus or a Dallas it still is a good football city. The Columbus market and the football market is stronger in the grass roots level on down and also the market finacially is doing better than my Buffalo. But you want to compare Buffalo against a good football city like Columbus instead of the ugly wart cities that are presently in the Arena Football League and all these leagues like the IFL, AIFA and CIFL.

Let's make this clear you have some problem with Buffalo if you honestly think Buffalo doesn't belong in one of theses arena/indoor footbal leagues that is a joke after being without arena/indoor football for 8 plus years.

You lose alot of creditability with me if you think some half baked city like Rio Grand Valley should get countless chances and your logic is well Buffalo didn't do as well as alot of major huge market cities. Look at the numbers the Buffalo Destroyers attendence matches up well for IFL at worse. Just sayin'. If your saying Buffalo shouldn't get another chance in one of these leagues all I can say is wow. We can agree to disagree. Let's Go Buffalo
Last edited by Buffalo Super Fan on Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The above post is in my opinion and I have no proof or link. I am just a Buffalo sports fan.

Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:17 am

[quote=""jerry101jlh""]The problem isn't that Buffalo is over looked so much as no local ownership steps up. Buffalo and others in the same boat are better off in most cases to not have a team than have one with out of area ownership that could care less about the community. Just take a look at the AIFA and how their leadership just sets up teams anywhere without local ownership and no real marketing plan. Generally these fail in a year or two or draw poorly because mo marketing means nobody in town even knows the team exists.

I am sure Buffalo would be a great market, but you should hope if a team returns it will be with good solid and committed local ownership. If not you could be just another market for some league to leave a trail of unpaid bills and disgruntled fans.[/quote]

This I agree with no local ownership has step up so far in Buffalo. Thank you for the kind words on Buffalo. Let's Go Buffalo

Return to “NIFL”