OUT
Buffalo Stampede - Buffalo, New York
Puerto Rico Capitanes - San Juan, Puerto Rico

Thanks

misenern
Site Admin

Post by misenern » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:35 pm

From the Rochester Razorsharks' official twitter page:
Teams at 2010 PBL Meetings in Chicago: @RochRazorSharks, Lawton-Fort Sill Cavs, Halifax Rainmen, Quebec City Kebs, St. John's Millrats.

Out of league: Buffalo, Maryland, Puerto Rico and Vermont.
Can anyone confirm that Vermont is out or was that said in error? I would not be surprised either way.

CHris902
Site Admin

Post by CHris902 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:47 pm

Vermont out? Despite some issues I have with the organization and its scale I think it'd be terrible if they were out. They have some great fans, somehow always put a competetive team out there and are as reliable of a franchise as you're going to find in this climate.

On the other hand, they have a very limited budget, have had financial problems in the past and if the PBL wants to go to NBA rules the courts in Barre and Burlington aren't usable. Maybe they'd be best to go to a summer/spring league? The ABA is obviously not a viable option.

Aren't Southcoast not officially in? Is five teams a large enough circuit? What do people think is the minimum number of teams that you need to run a league?

misenern
Site Admin

Post by misenern » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:56 pm

I really encourage everyone to research that South Coast United team and in particular, Mike Herren. But while I was surfing social media I turned up this little bit on Facebook (bold emphasis is my own):
Mike Herren BIG DAY TOMORROW...MEETING WITHY MIKE MARTIN TO DISCUSS FUTURE OF SOUTHCOAST UNITED THE PBL HAS RAISED MINIMUM PAYROLL,HAS DISCONTINUED PAYING FOR TRAVEL EXPENSES,AND RAISED MINIMUM TEAM BUDGETS TO 300,000...CLEARLY NOT THE AGREEMENT THAT WAS ORIGINALY STATED...ALSO BIG MEETING WITH INTERNET RADIO GROUP TOMORROW...START MEETING WITH POTENTIAL SALESPEOPLE WED
Tuesday at 3:39pm
I am not convinced this is the kind of team the PBL should be looking for anyway. But yeah, looks like they are out.

CHris902
Site Admin

Post by CHris902 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:37 pm

You love the social media.

I have to say that a higher minimum payroll, not paying travel expenses and requiring a minimum team budget of $300k are all fantastic, fantastic moves.

I do also understand why that may be a burden some teams don't feel that they can handle and I get why people might be pissed about added regulations that weren't there originally. But if the price the PBL needs to pay to improve is shedding South Coast United then I am totally fine with that.

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:55 pm

For how long can LFS afford to stay in the league if the PBL is no longer underwriting travel costs?

And while I would, in theory, applaud the PBL for applying better standards -- the problem is, they're not likely to have a league for long if they do. There aren't enough owners that have enough capital to finance a money sink such as a mid-market basketball team (as other leagues have proven time and time again).

CHris902
Site Admin

Post by CHris902 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:21 pm

I don't think the league was subsidizing LFS (or Halifax's) travel at all this past year.

Precious Roy
Site Admin

Post by Precious Roy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:07 pm

The PBL was paying no travel costs for LFS to go to the East Coast while they were forcing LFS to pay for other teams to travel here.
Also, the Cavalry have a travel agent as one of the owners, and he is known for getting cheap deals for travel.

a1sports
Site Admin

Post by a1sports » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:58 pm

were they "forced" at gunpoint or with a big stick? LOL. If you wanted to play and you were out of the area of paid travel , you paid.

Precious Roy
Site Admin

Post by Precious Roy » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:25 am

Just got done with a great interview...
Travel will be negotiated, but with the power in the league with LFS, Halifax and Rochester, there will likely be new deals in place (as LFS and Halifax paid for travel for themselves and everyone who came to those towns).
South Coast is out. Period. Likely one more team out, I have to get confirmation.
There are talks of expansion, which includes four possible cities.
Tom is out, gone and done and it's a good thing too. Personally, he just didn't do the right things that a person should do in his position as president of the league, let's hope Andre does a better job.

Return to “PBL”