Puerto Rico has just dropped out of the PBL

The Premier Basketball League (PBL) forum
LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:39 pm

[quote=""minorleagfan09""]Seriously, did you read the contents of my post? A press release to inform the public is fine. Actually it is great. That wasn't a press release informing the public. That was a written version of a soap opera on a Spanish channel.[/quote]
Yes, I read it. Hard to issue a press release about it without addressing the questions of why it happened. YMMV.

Juniper
Site Admin

Post by Juniper » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:43 pm

Lightningman, just to show you I know what is going on, I know you have contacted the BC owner. So has Preeth. Let us know what you found out. One of you has contacted the Bus Company. Why are you affraild to tell us what you have learned? Again, this is about the truth. I hope you believe what we have been saying now.

minorleagfan09
Site Admin

Post by minorleagfan09 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:07 pm

[quote=""LightningMan""]Yes, I read it. Hard to issue a press release about it without addressing the questions of why it happened. YMMV.[/quote]

You can keep the public informed without making your league look full of drama, disorganized, or worse a joke. The D-League does a fine job of keeping the public informed without dirty laundry press releases. The PBL needs to ask itself... would the D-League put out a release with this stuff in it. If not.. don't freakin do it.
Since minor league basketball has sunk so low it should be noted that all my comments are merely my personal opinions. They are purely my views that I wish to express using my constitutionally protected right. There are basic standards I believe a pro league or team should adhere to. If you want to know those standards shoot me a PM.

ALL BETS
Site Admin

Post by ALL BETS » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:26 pm

Hey maybe they kick PR so that Rodchester did not have to play them in the first round of the playoff and lose. Also not that it matters I made all those phone calls and e-mail about Battle Creek come to find out it is all TRUE . Matter of fact one of place said the PBL will not even return there phone calls anymore. Just thought I would let you know

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:30 pm

[quote=""LightningMan""]Yes, I read it. Hard to issue a press release about it without addressing the questions of why it happened. YMMV.[/quote]

Some folks on here are hard to please.

The Sweeper
Site Admin

Post by The Sweeper » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:57 pm

[quote=""ALL BETS""]Hey maybe they kick PR so that Rodchester did not have to play them in the first round of the playoff and lose. Also not that it matters I made all those phone calls and e-mail about Battle Creek come to find out it is all TRUE . Matter of fact one of place said the PBL will not even return there phone calls anymore. Just thought I would let you know[/quote]

Honesty, I don't think that's the case. Rochester was 1-0 against PR with the win coming in Rochester (the second game was to be this weekend). They were 1-1 against Halifax and thay are 0-1 against Vermont with another game against Vermont in Barre next Thursday.
Mean Spirited Blogger #37

Honored to have been the 13th player for the Vermont Frost Heaves game on 2-16-07 against the Maryland Nighthawks.

The ABA is the basketball equivalent of Amp'd Mobile.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:17 pm

Leaking information to friends is one thing. There is no excuse for a professional sports organization issuing a press release like the link below when media outlets are sure to pick-up on it.

http://www.thepbl.com/article.cfm?id=285
PBL EXPELS CAPITANES FROM LEAGUE

03/30/2010 12:00 PM

Based on failure to adhere to league rules, threats by the team of not showing up for road games, and a direct lack of communication with the league office and its fellow teams, the Puerto Rico Capitanes have been dismissed from the Premier Basketball League. The Capitanes, who amassed a 14-3 record in the PBL, currently also participate as the Capitanes de Arecibo in the Baloncesto Superior Nacional (“BSN&#8221 ;) , a professional basketball league in Puerto Rico.

“This is not a decision that was lightly made,” said Tom Doyle, President of the Premier Basketball League. “We gave the Capitanes every chance to make things right, but their refusal to even adhere to the most important tenets of our league, regrettably left us with no choice.”

Although the Capitanes were a tough opponent on the court, there were several off-court incidents involving travel and arrival to road games that also exacerbated relations between the PBL and the Capitanes...
STOP! The press release should have stopped right here. The release went downhill from there because the rest of the content was not newsworthy. Who cares if a Capitanes' player threw the ball at the ref and the ref was quick enough to move, but a kid sitting in the front row wasn't as nimble?!? Stuff like this and the rest of this news release is great fodder for message boards...only.

The following is the Washington Wizards' initial press release on the Gilbert Arenas locker room gun incident. Notice how professionals, an NBA team in this case, handle a serious situation:
The Wizards supported Stern’s decision in a press release.

“We fully endorse the decision of the NBA to indefinitely suspend Gilbert Arenas. Strictly legal issues aside, Gilbert’s recent behavior and statements, including his actions and statements last night in Philadelphia, are unacceptable. Some of our other players appeared to find Gilbert’s behavior in Philadelphia amusing. This is also unacceptable. Under Abe Pollin’s leadership, our organization never tolerated such behavior, and we have no intention of ever doing so.”
Notice the difference? The PBL release read more like a USBA rant...but even the USBA knows to save it for the message boards.
Last edited by Ken, Steelheads fan on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:38 pm, edited 7 times in total.

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:50 pm

Ken, I strongly disagree, I enjoyed the school girl style press release, "it was classic, I felt better about myself after reading it. Remember this is the facebook age, those type of releases are hip, young and trendy, LMAO" and I also disagree with the new Commish take, the current front man is a riot, they need (1) bonds and an (2) operations guy. These small issues would have never occurred if the teams (3)paid for travel as a group and had a professional staffer purchase all their tickets prior to the season and monitor the travel during the season. They also need to(4) institute large fines for teams that don't show for games or elect to show up late. The PBL's real weakness is that they did not have any of PR's cash in escrow.
Last edited by bectond on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

bdyer
Site Admin

Please

Post by bdyer » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:20 am

Just get through one season without this kind of ridiculousness.

minorleagfan09
Site Admin

Post by minorleagfan09 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:33 am

[quote=""bectond""]The PBL's real weakness is that they did not have any of PR's cash in escrow.[/quote]

I second this comment.
Since minor league basketball has sunk so low it should be noted that all my comments are merely my personal opinions. They are purely my views that I wish to express using my constitutionally protected right. There are basic standards I believe a pro league or team should adhere to. If you want to know those standards shoot me a PM.

Return to “PBL”