WBA Tryout Camp & Owner's Meeting

The World Basketball Association (WBA) forum
wellington
Site Admin

WBA Tryout Camp & Owner's Meeting

Post by wellington » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:40 pm

Anybody have updates from the WBA Tryout Camp in Lawrenceville, GA? I saw on Mark King's twitter feed that the Florida Flight have the 2nd pick in the WBA draft.

minorleagfan09
Site Admin

Post by minorleagfan09 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:36 pm

I'll be interested to see how things go as well. It is the league of Powell and Moon which is great to talk about. It is also the league of unpaid bills, staff, and home of the $225 walk up tryout. Plus the league straight up shut down in the middle of the season once.

One thing is for sure the 13th man of the Flint Tropics (Mark) is going to draw some internet attention to the WBA. Everything positive or negative that goes down this year everyone will surely know about it on message boards. Not sure that means more fans in the seats... but hey we shall see.
Since minor league basketball has sunk so low it should be noted that all my comments are merely my personal opinions. They are purely my views that I wish to express using my constitutionally protected right. There are basic standards I believe a pro league or team should adhere to. If you want to know those standards shoot me a PM.

one way
Site Admin

Post by one way » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:00 pm

That is correct Minor League. You hit the nail right on the head. I already know that the Commish of the league is trying to merge with another league. This should be fun to watch

one way
Site Admin

Post by one way » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:35 pm

I never said that a merger was taking place. I said that the commish called and tried to get a merger. It was shot down. But the mere fact that he was calling shows the state of the WBA. Again, I said the commish asked for a merger.

Minor League Mania
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Mania » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:11 pm

I saw the camp it went pretty good. There were about 30-40 players competing for spots across the League. Well organized with WBA jerseys for all that competed. They ran games left and right on Friday and Saturday. There was also about 10-15 refs training for the upcoming season. I am not sure who picked where and who was picked but maybe that will come out in the next fews days. I would imagine most teams already have half or more of there roster accounted for before this camp. I really think this may be a step forward for the league this year. As for merging, I think the real deal is that that talked about playing another league in a championship game to determine who the true Spring League Chanpion is. I think that would be a good concept. I hope the WBA can get back to where is was in the start of the league. At that time, one of the most respected short season leagues around.

BasketballGuru
Site Admin

Post by BasketballGuru » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:38 pm

Dude you need to move on with your life. Get a hobby or something. Is it your life mission to destroy Mark King or something? LOL It's sad when you have to resort to fabricating and twisting stuff around to do it. What's wrong? Running out of ammo to try to pull the Flight down, so now you gotta throw in the past history of the WBA to do it? You're lame. The proof is in the pudding buddy boy.

- 67 season tickets sold as of Friday night
- tons of stuff in the community for the kids
- A very informative, up-to-date website
- A good owner trying to do good with what he has
- some good quality hungry basketball players
- and yeah a community that is standing beside this team

And check out the recent addition to the website. A video of a recent community outreach event. Here's the youtube url:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBlF-...layer_embedded

Say all you want, but those kids look like they were listening, and the message is good! Why would anyone hate a guy and a team doing stuff like this? And as far as that merger, I was told the same thing this minor league mania guy said. They were going to play games against each other. Then the merger talks came in, which kinda makes sense actually. Why not have a 12 team league in the same region. But I was also told that idea came from the other league, not the WBA.It doesn't even really matter who the idea came from. The bottom line is the WBA said no because they have a much longer history than that "other" league, and didn't want to play under a new league name. And I also agree with that decision. Why play under a new league name that has yet to play a game?

I haven't been on here long, and really I'm just hear because I like reading all the stuff about the Flight. It's awesome to see the team succeed and go forward. I see the Flight and the WBA having a great year. Can't wait for the season to start.
Last edited by BasketballGuru on Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

minorleagfan09
Site Admin

Post by minorleagfan09 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:49 pm

[quote=""BasketballGuru""]"Dude you need to move on with your life. Get a hobby or something. Is it your life mission to destroy Mark King or something? LOL It's sad when you have to resort to fabricating and twisting stuff around to do it. [/quote]

I suspect like most One Way is very skeptical with independent minor league basketball as am I. It is not surprising how all the kool aid posts about the WBA/Flight are coming from Kissimmee. I'm glad you are an excited fan, player, investor, relative of King, his Mother, an alter ego, or whatever the case might be.

But people still need to ask the tough questions. Especially when it comes to a league that cancels games and doesn't get the bills paid. The WBA and anyone that joins it is fair game.

My biggest worry for the franchise in the long term would be competing with the NBA summer league.
Since minor league basketball has sunk so low it should be noted that all my comments are merely my personal opinions. They are purely my views that I wish to express using my constitutionally protected right. There are basic standards I believe a pro league or team should adhere to. If you want to know those standards shoot me a PM.

CHris902
Site Admin

Post by CHris902 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:46 pm

[quote=""BasketballGuru""]The proof is in the pudding buddy boy.

- 67 season tickets sold as of Friday night
[/quote]

How bleak is the minor league basketball landscape when someone can honestly claim that having sold 67 season ticket packages with just over two weeks until the season opener is a good thing?

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:59 pm

[quote=""CHris902""]How bleak is the minor league basketball landscape when someone can honestly claim that having sold 67 season ticket packages with just over two weeks until the season opener is a good thing?[/quote]
It's actually 6 weeks to the Flight's opener (May 20th). I got a PM from Mark this afternoon -- apparently they have not officially started selling season tickets to the general public. They are finalizing ticketing arrangements with the Kissimmee Civic Center and hope to start selling season tickets to the general public within the week. So, 65 tickets isn't bad when you consider that an official season ticket drive has not been launched. They hope to sell 350 season tickets before May 20th. If they can do this, it will be quite an accomplishment. After all, this is the WBA and not PBL where operational budgets are 20x bigger.

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:04 pm

[quote=""minorleagfan09""]
My biggest worry for the franchise in the long term would be competing with the NBA summer league.[/quote]

I don't think that it is much of an issue. What type of people are interested in NBA summer league? Diehard NBA/basketball fans, OSC posters, scouts, etc. It's not like these events are really geared to the general public who just want to be entertained -- this is the niche that minor league basketball needs to excite (minor league baseball has done a great job of this both the affiliated and indy leagues for that matter). For me, it is all about carving out your own niche -- promoting the team, providing a quality product, entertaining the fans, getting involved in the community...

But I agree with your point about the WBA -- they still have a lot of work to do...
Last edited by wellington on Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “WBA”