Florida Seals VS Knoxville Ice Bears SPHL Finals Thread

The Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL) forum
osopa506
Site Admin

Post by osopa506 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:52 pm

I checked the Silver Spurs website and there is an indoor football game on saturday the 15th so that would not have been available. Monday to Friday all appears to be open for the week. Im sure with the SPHL having the original date of the 9th to be the last day of the playoffs and the travel time between the two city the dates all came into play. I believe these are the two furthest cities away in the SPHL so they probably did not want to do home back to back at all and leave several days of travel between the two locations.

Mike4FireAntz34
Site Admin

Post by Mike4FireAntz34 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:19 pm

Knoxville wins game 1,6-3 and now lead the SPHL Finals 1-0..

Game 2 in Knoxville Tonight at 7:30

Good Luck to both teams and fans
GO GUARD, 6-1 looking at 7-1" this weekend!

I Talk To Myself
Site Admin

Game one Knoxville 6 Fla 3

Post by I Talk To Myself » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:31 pm

Greetings everyone.
I was pleased to be in Knoxville for game one last night as a guest of one of the IceBears management. In all honesty, Knoxville looks tough to beat. I realize that was only game one, but Knoxville for the most part dominated the game, took away the seals puck control passing game and did little to stop the line of thought that Florida can't win in Knoxville (they haven't won there this year)

There were a lot of penalties for a finals game, however I didn't see any that were unwarranted, with the possible exception of the game misconduct to Katzberg that I believe was issued when he sprayed water on the SHPL scoring table while trying to douse some Ice Bears fans. (I don't know that for sure, but that is what it looked like)

Although the half-ice goal by Miller may have "sealed the deal" on the scoreboard (making it 4-0) the game was pretty much over by then anyway. Fla couldn't get its offense going in the zone, and in fact the seals were having issues gaining puck control in the zone at all. Knoxville's defense played a very solid game for 2 1/2 periods. When things started to get chippy, especially in the third period knoxville seemed content to back off to make sure no injuries were sustained as they pretty much slowed the game down in the third and didn't skate with the urgency they showed in periods 1 and 2.

Let's not write florida out of the picture yet. There were times in the third period when they controled play and got some pucks past Knoxville's goalie. They can build on that.

What do I expect in game 2? First of all I expect fewer penalties. There were six power play goals last night. Florida especially must be cautious as they gave up 4 power play goals last night, and yet managed to RAISE thier penaty kill % for the playoffs. How scary is that? (I was told that their PK% on the road in the playoffs was UNDER 50%????)

I also expect a lower scoring game. Florida needs to shore up it's D for game two as Denike, in spite of giving up 6, made some good saves and stopped all of the odd man rushes and breakaways (including ones by Bermingham and Swider) keeping the game within reach for a while.

The seals desperately need the first goal. Coming from behind in Knoxville is a remote possibility at best. In fact, Florida needs two of the first three goals. Preferably the first two.

Knoxville must continue to play Knoxville hockey. Bottle up the Seals at the blueline, counterattack with speed and be willing to absorb some abuse in exchange for power play chances.

I have extended my stay in Knoxville to catch tonight's game. It should be fun. My prediction... Knoxville 3 Florida 2.

There should be places on the web to catch the game. Enjoy

mitchg73
Site Admin

Post by mitchg73 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:17 pm

I Talk To Myself wrote:Greetings everyone.
I was pleased to be in Knoxville for game one last night as a guest of one of the IceBears management. In all honesty, Knoxville looks tough to beat. I realize that was only game one, but Knoxville for the most part dominated the game, took away the seals puck control passing game and did little to stop the line of thought that Florida can't win in Knoxville (they haven't won there this year)

There were a lot of penalties for a finals game, however I didn't see any that were unwarranted, with the possible exception of the game misconduct to Katzberg that I believe was issued when he sprayed water on the SHPL scoring table while trying to douse some Ice Bears fans. (I don't know that for sure, but that is what it looked like)

Although the half-ice goal by Miller may have "sealed the deal" on the scoreboard (making it 4-0) the game was pretty much over by then anyway. Fla couldn't get its offense going in the zone, and in fact the seals were having issues gaining puck control in the zone at all. Knoxville's defense played a very solid game for 2 1/2 periods. When things started to get chippy, especially in the third period knoxville seemed content to back off to make sure no injuries were sustained as they pretty much slowed the game down in the third and didn't skate with the urgency they showed in periods 1 and 2.

Let's not write florida out of the picture yet. There were times in the third period when they controled play and got some pucks past Knoxville's goalie. They can build on that.

What do I expect in game 2? First of all I expect fewer penalties. There were six power play goals last night. Florida especially must be cautious as they gave up 4 power play goals last night, and yet managed to RAISE thier penaty kill % for the playoffs. How scary is that? (I was told that their PK% on the road in the playoffs was UNDER 50%????)

I also expect a lower scoring game. Florida needs to shore up it's D for game two as Denike, in spite of giving up 6, made some good saves and stopped all of the odd man rushes and breakaways (including ones by Bermingham and Swider) keeping the game within reach for a while.

The seals desperately need the first goal. Coming from behind in Knoxville is a remote possibility at best. In fact, Florida needs two of the first three goals. Preferably the first two.

Knoxville must continue to play Knoxville hockey. Bottle up the Seals at the blueline, counterattack with speed and be willing to absorb some abuse in exchange for power play chances.

I have extended my stay in Knoxville to catch tonight's game. It should be fun. My prediction... Knoxville 3 Florida 2.

There should be places on the web to catch the game. Enjoy
great recap there....its true folks ..for the people that have bashed knoxville defense all season,iwish you could have watched this game...the seals looked tired they were outplayed,they also took stupid undisciplined penalties...anyways go bears lets do the same tonight boys

osopa506
Site Admin

Coming back to Kissimmee...

Post by osopa506 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:18 am

Well backs against the wall now...have to win 3 in a row...

does anyone know more information on the katzberg situation. i saw he was out on saturday and apparently for a suspension that will last the rest of the season...i guess it was for the water incident.

i also heard that the commissioner of the league had made a statement that the original penalty, slashing at 15:03 in the 3rd, should have never been called and that he should not have been in the box at all.

does anyone know what the official statement was?

also does anyone have info on Voorhees? I saw he was on the gamesheet and had 2 shots. I thought he was done for the season from injury?!?!

mitchg73
Site Admin

Post by mitchg73 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:58 pm

great game last night playoff hockey at its best...it was good seeing jamie ronayne outplayed goalie of the year award winner terry denike...final score 2-1...as far as katzberg i think it was a one game suspension for squirting water while in the box....as far as voorhees dont know how he was on the scorers sheet because he was behind the bench in a suit and tie....he is out for the season....game 3 tuesday in fl...go ice bears
Last edited by mitchg73 on Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike4FireAntz34
Site Admin

Post by Mike4FireAntz34 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:41 pm

The way Knoxville is playing....I bet that they sweep the Series next game.
GO GUARD, 6-1 looking at 7-1" this weekend!

osopa506
Site Admin

Post by osopa506 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:55 pm

I checked again and #24 K.Voorhees was on the pointstreak gamesheet with 2 shots...interesting... did they add another #24 for the series? i have been disappointed with pointstreak and the sphl website for the playoff. both seem to not be posting transactions anymore with suspensions / ir / etc during the playoffs. no katzberg suspension, no voorhees injury, etc.

this is one area i would like to the sphl add on there pages is about suspensions and what they were for and time of suspension. some type of commissioners press releases or something. i also understand the commissioner ruled katzberg should have never got him the penalty that sent him to the box in game one that led to water incident. it would be nice to see a press release on sphl about the commissioners feelings etc although im sure he does not want to press release a statement that the official was wrong. the nfl did it with the superbowl though.

dgjordan
Site Admin

4-H Orchid Sale

Post by dgjordan » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:34 pm

Frankie53182 wrote:My understanding was the Seals did not have ice availability on that weekend hence the Tues/ Wen. games....can anyone confirm or deny this?
You are correct, sir! My heart is aching right now. The SPHL finals were edged out because of
1) a 4-H Orchid Sale on Friday night
2) NIFL Osceola Football game on Saturday night
3) Pajama Jam on Saturday night

http://www.ohpark.com/Calendar.asp

It will be an uphill battle, but I know my Seals can come from behind and pull out the all important 3 straight wins to take home the SPHL President's Cup!

Let's Go Seals!!!

mitchg73
Site Admin

Post by mitchg73 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:17 pm

osopa506 wrote:I checked again and #24 K.Voorhees was on the pointstreak gamesheet with 2 shots...interesting... did they add another #24 for the series? i have been disappointed with pointstreak and the sphl website for the playoff. both seem to not be posting transactions anymore with suspensions / ir / etc during the playoffs. no katzberg suspension, no voorhees injury, etc.

this is one area i would like to the sphl add on there pages is about suspensions and what they were for and time of suspension. some type of commissioners press releases or something. i also understand the commissioner ruled katzberg should have never got him the penalty that sent him to the box in game one that led to water incident. it would be nice to see a press release on sphl about the commissioners feelings etc although im sure he does not want to press release a statement that the official was wrong. the nfl did it with the superbowl though.
nope no othe 24 out there..must be a pointstreak issue....yes the katzberg call i believe the ref missed the call and it cost katzberg because he lost his cool in the box and was squrting water at the fans and into the scorers table area...it was a different ref last night ...he called a fairly decent game...

Return to “SPHL”