West Michigan ThunderHawks 2010

The Indoor Football League (IFL) forum
newiflfan
Site Admin

West Michigan ThunderHawks 2010

Post by newiflfan » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:32 pm

Time for a dedicated thread on the team, seeing as at least a couple of us were beginning to discuss the team specifically.

A roster is now up on the site, as are some photos from training camp. Looks like their webmaster has been busy this weekend!

http://www.westmichiganthunderhawks.com

thunderhawkfan
Site Admin

Post by thunderhawkfan » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:12 pm

[quote=""newiflfan""]Time for a dedicated thread on the team, seeing as at least a couple of us were beginning to discuss the team specifically.

A roster is now up on the site, as are some photos from training camp. Looks like their webmaster has been busy this weekend!

http://www.westmichiganthunderhawks.com[/quote]

Nice updates to the site. There are some good football players on the roster. I am looking forward for more updates and also the start of the season.

newiflfan
Site Admin

Post by newiflfan » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:17 pm

Now that the ThunderHawks have a year in the IFL under their belts, it'll be interesting to see how they've adapted to the league.

I heard an interesting stat recently-- the three CIFL teams that moved over to the IFL last year opened up the year 0-10 against their new IFL competition.

thunderhawkfan
Site Admin

Post by thunderhawkfan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:33 pm

That is an interesting stat. From following the GLIAC I do recognize a few names on the roster and do know they are good football players. It will be interesting to see if Terry Foster can turn the talent into a good indoor football team. There were very few players signed when Terry Foster took over and in my opinion, he did a great job in a short period of time adding talent to the roster. Because of this I feel very strongly that he will turn the Thunderhawks into a playoff team this year.

newiflfan
Site Admin

Post by newiflfan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:44 pm

[quote=""thunderhawkfan""]That is an interesting stat. From following the GLIAC I do recognize a few names on the roster and do know they are good football players. It will be interesting to see if Terry Foster can turn the talent into a good indoor football team. There were very few players signed when Terry Foster took over and in my opinion, he did a great job in a short period of time adding talent to the roster. Because of this I feel very strongly that he will turn the Thunderhawks into a playoff team this year.[/quote]

A playoff run would be HUGE for the team as they try to establish themselves in the new city.

When the Rampage were winning, they drew really well. After season after season of losing records, not so much. West Michigan fans have shown that they'll support a winner, so a competitive team will likely help to keep the fans coming.

Not sure about your feelings, thunderhawkfan, but I know I've got a bit of a stigma about the Deltaplex-- true or not, to me, it's always the second-rate events that take place there. I could see the venue possibly make some fans leery of the team.

It totally makes sense to me why they are going to play there, though-- the size is perfect for them right now, and rent is probably much better less than at the Van Andel. Hopefully there aren't many people out there who find that they pooh-pooh the Deltaplex, like I tend to.

thunderhawkfan
Site Admin

Post by thunderhawkfan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:41 pm

[quote=""newiflfan""]A playoff run would be HUGE for the team as they try to establish themselves in the new city.

When the Rampage were winning, they drew really well. After season after season of losing records, not so much. West Michigan fans have shown that they'll support a winner, so a competitive team will likely help to keep the fans coming.

Not sure about your feelings, thunderhawkfan, but I know I've got a bit of a stigma about the Deltaplex-- true or not, to me, it's always the second-rate events that take place there. I could see the venue possibly make some fans leery of the team.

It totally makes sense to me why they are going to play there, though-- the size is perfect for them right now, and rent is probably much better less than at the Van Andel. Hopefully there aren't many people out there who find that they pooh-pooh the Deltaplex, like I tend to.[/quote]

Never been to an event at either place. I am planning on attending opening night. Maybe because I have not been to either the Deltaplex will be just fine for me.

newiflfan
Site Admin

Post by newiflfan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:55 am

The Deltaplex isn't a bad arena really, but in terms of amenities the Van Andel is much better. I don't want to give a bad impression of the arena.

I'm very curious to see what the opening night crowd will be like. I've been told opening night was SRO last season in Muskegon. Here's to hopefully seeing a crowd of 4000+.

If the ThunderHawks can learn any lessons from the other professional teams in GR, it's this-- walkup ticket sales can make or break the night. Take Opening Day for the Whitecaps last season-- pre sale for the game was around 2200. Official attendance wound up being nearly 6000. That was almost 3800 walkup tickets purchased.

thunderhawkfan
Site Admin

Post by thunderhawkfan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:11 pm

I would like to see a big crowd the first night. 8 out of the 13 teams in the conference make the playoffs so I think there is a good chance the Thunderhawks can make it. A strong showing the first night also could go a long way in the season's attendance.

newiflfan
Site Admin

Post by newiflfan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:33 pm

Slightly worried at the lack of advertising I've noticed. Apart from the occasional article in the GR Press, the most I've encountered is ESPN 96.1 occasionally giving some tickets away.

I'm sure the budget is tight, but I don't see how it could do anything but help to get some sort of extra advertisements out there. Getting some spots on the local radio stations is pretty cost-effective.

thunderhawkfan
Site Admin

Post by thunderhawkfan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:22 am

[quote=""newiflfan""]Slightly worried at the lack of advertising I've noticed. Apart from the occasional article in the GR Press, the most I've encountered is ESPN 96.1 occasionally giving some tickets away.

I'm sure the budget is tight, but I don't see how it could do anything but help to get some sort of extra advertisements out there. Getting some spots on the local radio stations is pretty cost-effective.[/quote]

I am not from the area but would have to agree with you. I have had to search high and low to find any information on the internet. I think they should really try to blitz the media, as much as the budget will allow, this last week and a half before the first game to let people know they exist. Give tickets away the first game if they have to. The most important thing is to get interest generated, especially early in the season. Hopefully they can string a few wins and everything should fall into place.

Return to “IFL”