It's time for a Press release

The Premier Basketball League (PBL) forum
not so fast
Site Admin

It's time for a Press release

Post by not so fast » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:36 pm

With all of the new developments, and potential teams having financial difficulties, I think it is time for the PBL President to have a press conference or a press release about the health of the league. Everyone of us can speculate here on the forum, but it is time for the Doc to address these concerns.

I, as you know, for the most part of their existance, has been a verbal and physical supporter of the PBL, and has many of you. And in fact, even the critics that are on the message board are important, because they help you to look at, or see things in another light.

I think the coaches, staff, players, and fans of the PBL, need and deserve to know the status of the league, and their plans for the future, and we need it directly from the doc, not from A-1, not from any other poster.

I can remember when the commissioner from the IBL came on the board with a press release to address certain allegations about the IBL. So I think it is time that the Doc, have that same kind of moment.

I was a hugh fan of quad cities in the PBL, and I like the owner very much, and Tom was a classy person. My only complaint was that he pulled the plug on his team at the last minute which blind sided a lot of people. So I guess I am hoping that the league give all of the players, coaches, staff people, who are dedicating their lives to the PBL, the proper notice, so they have the opportunity to seek other options if they want.

No one can really knock their efforts or intent. Methods, planning, is something different.

If the league will end after this season, it is nothing for the doc, or doyle to feel bad about. They tried, and did as well as they could, and enabled many people opportunities to coach, play, work as staff people, to take steps forward in their career. And provided plenty of entertainment for lots of fans in these 2 and half brief years.

We on the boards here, all of us junkies here, know how hard it is to run a league, and
that is why we dont all agree all the time. But none of us would say it is easy. Even the NBA is finding this out with the developmental league. How many cities have they been in already?

So doc, please take the time to address this status of the league, it really is your moral responsibility.

Thank you.

CHris902
Site Admin

Post by CHris902 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:41 pm

I am not convinced that it needs to be league wide as it would just cause panic in markets that aren't directly effected by the current problems in Halifax and Vermont. I would like more details on the Halifax situation (but I also recognize why the organization is keeping their mouths shut about an issue which is currently in litigation). I actually think that the new owner of the Frost Heaves has been very forthcoming about their financial situation and I appluad them for that. I am not sure what else the league or those two specific teams can do right now to provide any further clarification.

What I would like to see out of the league is a description of its long and medium term goals sometime before the end of the season. Are there new markets under consideration? What sort of teams are they looking to add? What are they doing to make sure teams stay afloat this year? What are they doing to build the capacity of the head office?

bdaly
Site Admin

Post by bdaly » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:48 pm

I also agree that a press release probably isn't the right move. Outside of the group that reads here, I doubt there's much panic elsewhere. Coming out and saying "don't panic" isn't problem going to help anything. They can announce plans to attract new teams, but that's pretty hollow. Sadly, turnover among minor league basketball teams is hardly new anywhere.

Honestly, I'm not terribly concerned about either team -- both have good fan bases and there's a clear path to viability. It's certainly concerning when issues arise with strong teams, but I think these issues can be resolved. It's not like Mid Michigan, where no one in their right mind would come on board to try to fix things. It certainly does speak to needing to do things to reduce costs -- more regional games to reduce travel, as one example. Don't get me wrong, there's obviously work to be done.

I actually disagree about it being the right move for Vermont to be so forthcoming. If they had a stock plan that they were ready to unveil, then maybe so. But since they don't, will this actually scare people away? (Why show up when they might be gone next year?) I'm afraid so. But, if their goal is to call out local business people, then maybe it's a decent idea.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:57 pm

I would strongly disagree that the league should make some kind of public statement. It's bad PR. If asked by local media, then, yes, answer their questions to the best of your ability. Otherwise work behind the scenes to address the situations and let the teams handle their business. Now if rumors start swirling that one team or another won't make a game, then you can issue a public statement that no games will be missed or something like that.

panchess
Site Admin

Post by panchess » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:05 pm

I am a stockholder in a minor league team (Syracuse Chiefs). It can work, but when it is perceived as a desperation move to fund the deficit of the team, that is a problem.

The time to address the future of the league is at the end of the season, in my opinion. It's rough out there, and putting out the fires in-season should be job one for now.

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:50 am

Well when you actual press accounts in two papers of the financial problems of two of your now 9 franchises, and its obvious that 2 more of your franchises are struggling, it would be reassuring I think to know in some form of fashion that the league will be back and strong for next year.

And yes it might be good to know if there are franchises that may come in as well, which would be good for the public to know. For instance, is Vegas back in play for next season, etc.....

It can be a brief statement, but what it would do is put a positive spin on things, and gives everyone the confidence to know the league is as committed as ever.

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:48 am

[quote=""not so fast""]It can be a brief statement, but what it would do is put a positive spin on things, and gives everyone the confidence to know the league is as committed as ever.[/quote]
This would be like the manager's vote of confidence. It wouldn't reassure people. It would affirm to people that the league is in serious trouble. Leave well enough alone.

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:00 pm

Well if there are potential owners out there, and they research about the league, and find these two articles, i think they might find that troubling.

I am not asking for a statement like the aba, that is full of false hope and lies, but one that is just that what you said, reassuring. You guys see things oddly.

I would agree, about the end of the year being a traditionally good time to do this, but we are not dealing with a normal economy, and there are a lot of anxiety all over.

The things I know about the PBL, is that they care, and there word is good, and they make every attempt to do what they say they are going to do.

confused
Site Admin

Post by confused » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:29 pm

I know a group that was thinking about this league, but not any more. Can't get straight answers. Be forward, let people know whats going on. PR would be fine.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:16 pm

[quote=""not so fast""]
I can remember when the commissioner from the IBL came on the board with a press release to address certain allegations about the IBL. So I think it is time that the Doc, have that same kind of moment.
[/quote]

That's because the IBL is in the business of running a league. The PBL is in the business of simultaneously running a sports broadcast network, a collection agency, and oh by the way--a basketball league.

Did I mention the proposed reality show? Patrick Dempsey visiting real doctors performing real surgeries. Nevermind that The Learning Channel has been covering that same reality plot for years now (just without Patrick Dempsey).

[quote=""not so fast""]
I am not asking for a statement like the aba, that is full of false hope and lies, but one that is just that what you said, reassuring. You guys see things oddly.
[/quote]

If you think that's odd, then wait until the discussion shifts into how comp tickets can be a good thing.

Return to “PBL”