welcome

The Premier Basketball League (PBL) forum
basketball facts
Site Admin

welcome

Post by basketball facts » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:12 pm

Welcome to the real world of basketball Coach. Nice job down in Bakersfield. Life sure is different when you have to play on a regulation court not in a barn. From what I understand, they would love to have Coach Voight back in the PBL/ABA. I think the Jam is 1-9

ACBSPAIN
Site Admin

Reality

Post by ACBSPAIN » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:39 pm

Hello again,

i agree with you, the professionalism in D-League is not comparable to PBL/IBL/ABA, etc...anyway, bad beginning, let's see what happens, i think is not a bad coach, is only a matter of time.

This past weekend i've been watching the three matches, Halifax is a good organization, the city loves basketball but i am not sure they achieve the D-League. Manchester is not bad, Quebec is really bad and Vermont will be the second Buffalo in this league. It seems it will be a disbalanced league, the rich ones and the others, will see, but the others will have a lot of problems in all the senses, for example, the attendance when their supporters see what they have, probably will see a poor attendances in this teams. The rich ones could be a hard battle. In theory, the level is high, but i'm not sure at all.

Have a nice holidays, the best for all of you, next year i'll be in UK, but sometimes to times i'll write some comment here, thanks,

JOAN

Jimmytwotimes
Site Admin

Post by Jimmytwotimes » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:10 am

So the fact that he had the same if not better winning percentage on the road meant nothing? Hmmmmmm. that's what i thought.

CHris902
Site Admin

Post by CHris902 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:41 am

[quote=""Jimmytwotimes""]So the fact that he had the same if not better winning percentage on the road meant nothing? Hmmmmmm. that's what i thought.[/quote]

I actually think Voigt is a very good coach and I don't really buy the notion that a small court has much to do with Vermont's success at home, but last season the Heaves were 9-1 at home and 5-6 on the road... so yeah... that's not at all accurate, at least in terms of last year in the PBL.

p.s. I don't care enough to look up the ABA seasons
p.p.s. I suspect Voigt's problems may have more to do with the fact that he had absolute roster control in Vermont and managed to get the perfect personnel to do what he wanted. I am not sure he has the same freedom in Bakersfield.

Frost Heaves Fan
Site Admin

Post by Frost Heaves Fan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:39 am

[quote=""CHris902""]I actually think Voigt is a very good coach and I don't really buy the notion that a small court has much to do with Vermont's success at home, but last season the Heaves were 9-1 at home and 5-6 on the road... so yeah... that's not at all accurate, at least in terms of last year in the PBL.

p.s. I don't care enough to look up the ABA seasons
p.p.s. I suspect Voigt's problems may have more to do with the fact that he had absolute roster control in Vermont and managed to get the perfect personnel to do what he wanted. I am not sure he has the same freedom in Bakersfield.[/quote]

I agree with Chris about Voigt's (correct spelling Basketball Facts) ability. I also know for a fact (because I keep in touch with Will) that he had VERY limited choice on selection of his team. He brought John Williams from last year's Heaves team and was able to choose 1 to 2 others. Chris is correct that he had total control of who he signed in VT and Will is an excellent recruiter. He has been hired for the last 3-4 years as a recuiter for the San Antonio Spurs.
His record is terrible right now but he will produce a good team in time. He has made the leap from PBL/ABAS to the D-League. Not many coaches can or have done that. He was in the running for this D-League job with Rod Baker the HC of the Razorsharks, other former D-League coaches and some former NBA assitant coaches and he got the job. This says something.
Not sure why Basketball Facts wants to drag him through the mud. Not sure what his agenda is.
I also think that Jeff Strohm is a good coach and will produce a good team despite the Heaves losing the scrimmage game with Halifax by a large margin.

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:03 am

Wait a minute. He beat out Rod baker for this job? that does not sound logical. Voight might be a decent coach, but he is no way as good a coach as baker. I know some of you are fans of his, and like him personally, but I could name several coaches that are more proven a coach than him.

This hiring simply was something political, or financial. the d-league is like the congress, strictly politics! And thats also why they control the players and who goes to what team. and judging by the call ups, it has been a disaster formula.

Frost Heaves Fan
Site Admin

Post by Frost Heaves Fan » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:56 am

[quote=""not so fast""]Wait a minute. He beat out Rod baker for this job? that does not sound logical. Voight might be a decent coach, but he is no way as good a coach as baker. I know some of you are fans of his, and like him personally, but I could name several coaches that are more proven a coach than him.

This hiring simply was something political, or financial. the d-league is like the congress, strictly politics! And thats also why they control the players and who goes to what team. and judging by the call ups, it has been a disaster formula.[/quote]

He did beat out Rod Baker. I can look this up and post it here if you really need to see it. I am not sure why this selcation is such a surprise. Will Voigt (correct spelling) actually has more broad based experience then Rod. Will coached in VT, Norway, and recuriting and assitant coaching with the San Antonio Spurs. This hiring was not political. Actually they hired on a 50/50 basis. 50% D-League management and 50% fan vote on 4 potential finalists. They were Rod Baker, Will Voigt, a former D- league head coach, and a current NBA assistant coach.

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:26 am

Well what happened last year in the PBL then? Did Will win or Rod Baker win the championship?

And Rod Bakers experience in the CBA alone trumps anything on Wills resume.

I am not sure why rod baker would leave Rochester anyway. That job he has there, is a far better job than that bakersfield job anyway. He has a great organization, he has total player control, a good fan base, good media support, solid ownership, I am certain he is paid well. So why would he leave that only to have none of the previous mentioned benefits with that lousy d-league team?

Will is a really good man, and a good coach, but this d-league does appear to be over his head. He needs to be careful not to let that thing spin out of control, he had a good coaching record going into this. if he ends up with a 3-30 record or something and gets fired, that will hurt his coaching career.

runninref
Site Admin

Post by runninref » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:12 am

First let me say I love and respect Coach Baker so don't take this the wrong way ... Will was probably the better fit in the eyes of the organization and that is why he got the job. Or ... they couldn't afford Baker. :rolleyes:

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:47 am

I would think it was money. I can't believe Baker would be 1 and 9, ever.

And whats a better fit? What does that mean?

Return to “PBL”