Future of the Atlantic League...

The Atlantic League (AtL) forum
ACsurfan
Site Admin

Post by ACsurfan » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:19 pm

Great idea...but the travel expense just doesn't justify it...

The Atlantic League is the premier independent league but what makes it work is the short bus rides

ottawasportsfan2010
Site Admin

Post by ottawasportsfan2010 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:52 pm

[quote=""ACsurfan""]Great idea...but the travel expense just doesn't justify it...

The Atlantic League is the premier independent league but what makes it work is the short bus rides[/quote]

What do you see as a short bus ride.

dmbishop
Site Admin

Post by dmbishop » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:19 pm

[quote=""ottawasportsfan2010""]What do you see as a short bus ride.[/quote]

Maryland's stadium to Bridgeport (the two teams that are farthest apart in the league) is 300 miles with 6 other teams in between.

Bridgeport to Ottawa is 475 miles with no other teams in between.

Dave

GoCyclones!
Site Admin

Post by GoCyclones! » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:28 pm

Wow, you guys in Ottawa are really hopeful for a team. I hope it works out.

I think Ottawa could work for the Can-Am, maybe the NY-Penn but definitely not the Atlantic League. The only way I could see it working is if Miles Wolff sold the Quebec team to someone who wanted to jump leagues or if the Can-Am folded, or if someone were to put a team in the antiquated park in Burlington, VT if the Lake Monsters left, or placing a team in the English speaking part of Montreal. None are farfetched scenarios but unlikely. You'd have to have at least two teams to make it work is my point. Mapquest lists the drive from Ottawa to Bridgeport as a nine-hour drive. But hey, if the GBL is putting teams in Hawaii, anything is possible.

GoCyclones!
Site Admin

Post by GoCyclones! » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:00 pm

I found it interesting that several NY-Penn teams released their schedules today with no mention of a team in Connecticut. It's long been rumored that Jamestown or Vermont would move to the vacant park in Norwich. This would be a great market for a Can-Am team as it's close to other teams in the league, but I wonder if the AL has taken a look at it as well. It's a really nice facility, an hour and a half from Bridgeport. They averaged about 3,000 as the AA affiliate of the Giants. So if that stayed the same, it would be one of the lowest drawing teams in the AL. Maybe a natural rivalry with Bridgeport could help, but if the rivalry with New Britain didn't save it, I don't think Bridgeport will either.

You know, from North Carolina to Maine, you could throw up a ballpark anywhere along that section of the Eastern seabord and it could be midgets playing ball and people will come, except that teams struggle in Connecticut. I wonder why that it is. New Britain is the only exception. But Eastern League, Can-Am, NECBL teams have left and the Bluefish are rumored to be leaving after next season. I find it surprising. There are seven pro teams and two collegiate league teams in the small state of NJ, and they last with varying degrees of success of course. NJ is more densely populated though. I don't what it is.

ottawasportsfan2010
Site Admin

Post by ottawasportsfan2010 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:56 pm

[quote=""GoCyclones!""]Wow, you guys in Ottawa are really hopeful for a team. I hope it works out.

I think Ottawa could work for the Can-Am, maybe the NY-Penn but definitely not the Atlantic League. The only way I could see it working is if Miles Wolff sold the Quebec team to someone who wanted to jump leagues or if the Can-Am folded, or if someone were to put a team in the antiquated park in Burlington, VT if the Lake Monsters left, or placing a team in the English speaking part of Montreal. None are farfetched scenarios but unlikely. You'd have to have at least two teams to make it work is my point. Mapquest lists the drive from Ottawa to Bridgeport as a nine-hour drive. But hey, if the GBL is putting teams in Hawaii, anything is possible.[/quote]

Whie yes people in ottawa want a baseball team.The issue is if they don't get one is the stadium will likely be torn down and the anti sports fans will be all happy and say i told you so.I am not sure if there are to many city in north american like ottawa where so many people are pushing for parks in green space ina city with over 800 parks yet thats no enough.Even the football stadium some want torn down and a park built there i just fear if we keep going down this road the city will be so over come with parks and green space i just don't think it would be a good thing.

GoCyclones!
Site Admin

Post by GoCyclones! » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:42 am

BTW construction has begun on the massive project in Yonkers, NY which will include a ballpark for an AL team. I believe there are some eminent domain issues remaining (interesting how that definition has evolved over the years), but the wheels are in motion. I think it'll be a great location. Original estimates were that it'll be ready by 2012, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that pushed back.

OttawaBallFan
Site Admin

Post by OttawaBallFan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:01 pm

> Wow, you guys in Ottawa are really hopeful for a team.

Yep, but it won't be in 2010 in my opinion.

> I think Ottawa could work for the Can-Am, maybe the NY-Penn but definitely not the Atlantic League.

Agree. The AL starts a month earlier. We'd have same problem we had with Lynx. Weather not good enough in late April. Same for Quebec which is worse. I don't see Ottawa or Quebec in the AL.

Can-Am is our best option. I don't think the minor leagues want to be in Canada anymore. The IL commish said so publicly. There's only one minor league team left in Canada and that's an A-class short-season team in Vancouver. Ten years ago, there was lots more at all levels. Coincidence? I don't think so.

> the antiquated park in Burlington, VT if the Lake Monsters left

My understanding is that the Lake Monsters ARE leaving. League told them their park is not suitable and the owner can't afford to pay millions to renovate. It's an old ballpark and the outfield has sunk a foot lower than the infield. I don't think even an indie league would want that. New park needed there.

> placing a team in the English speaking part of Montreal.

?? Why the English part of Montreal? Francophones enjoy baseball too. I'm one of them.

> I found it interesting that several NY-Penn teams released their schedules today with no mention of a team in Connecticut.

Doesn't mean a thing.

> This would be a great market for a Can-Am team

Don't know but sure, why not. You do say however that teams struggle in Connecticut. There's got to be a reason. Poor marketing? Less interest in that region? Population not high enough?

> The issue is if they don't get one is the stadium will likely be torn down

I don't think that will happen that fast.

> and the anti sports fans will be all happy and say i told you so.

For sure. Even the guy who wants to play soccer at the stadium the other night, paraphrasing, "It's been proven baseball doesn't work here. Why are we doing this? Let's try soccer". Ugh.

GoCyclones!
Site Admin

Post by GoCyclones! » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:10 am

I can't wait for the season to start. Did anyone read that article about how Peter Kirk and Opening Day Partners are working with Sugar Land (Houston suburbs) in trying to build a stadium. Kirk said the best options would be the American Association and the Atlantic League. I admire his allegiance to the Atlantic League but could you imagine an expansion team in Texas in the ATLANTIC League. American Association makes so much more sense.

I read an article about how the tickets for the new team in Virginia (I like the name Loudon Hounds. Who picked these names anyway?) could go for $20. Isn't that the antithesis to minor league ball - affordable family entertainment??

GoCyclones!
Site Admin

Post by GoCyclones! » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:46 am

I found it very interesting to read Opening Day Partners' proposal to build a ballpark and Brooks Robinson Youth Learning Center to Montogomery County, MD. This is gonna get done. Peter Kirk gets things done. Montgomery County is one of the wealthiest in the nation. This is not tied to some insane real estate deal. So far it's only a proposal but I think one's got to be optimistic. I only hope it means expansion and not the future home of the Newark Bears!

Sugar Land, TX has selected Opening Day Partners to build a ballpark and provide a team. Since the Astros have territorial rights and are not interested in having one of their teams there, it'll be an independent team. Probably in the AA.

I was mistaken in an earlier post about ground being broken for a new ballpark in Yonkers, NY. But I did read the transcript of a speech given by the mayor of Yonkers two weeks ago, in which he said all final approvals have been made and he expects ground-breaking this year. Again, tied to some major real estate deal, this been in the works for several years already. Good to see it finally get off the ground!

Can't wait for the season! Let's go Bears!!

Return to “AtL”