Richmond folding?

The Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL) forum
wellington
Site Admin

Richmond folding?

Post by wellington » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:50 pm

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=319522

Unless investors can be found, the Renegades will likely fold at the end of the season.

The economy is probably going to impact the SPHL hard. It's hard to imagine the Cyclones staying afloat in Winston-Salem (relocate to Augusta?). There is also continued talk of a team in Pensacola for 2010. Greenville? It's going to be tough attracting investors...

ACsurfan
Site Admin

Post by ACsurfan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:21 pm

Winston-Salem did fold. Never understood why the city didn't want hockey at the Lawrence Joel arena (home of Wake Forest basketball).

JeffCapo
Site Admin

Richmond done

Post by JeffCapo » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:48 am

from their website:

The Richmond Renegades today announced that they are ceasing hockey operations in the Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL) effective immediately.

“I have delayed making this announcement for as long as possible while my investors and I looked at every possible alternative,” stated team President/GM, Allan B. Harvie, Jr. “Like so many other companies, we are the victim of the current harsh economic conditions. I am saddened beyond words for my team, my staff and especially my loyal Renegades fans. There isn’t a financial stone that my business partners and I have left unturned, a phone call that we haven’t made, a favor that we haven’t called trying to find a way to continue operations. There just simply isn’t the money available to make up the $280,000+ shortfall we will experience in order to continue operations. I am so very saddened making this announcement because, outside of my family, hockey and the Renegades are my life.”

The Renegades originally began operations in 1990 in the East Coast Hockey League (ECHL) and played until 2003 when the Riverdogs became the resident professional team playing in the UHL. Harvie returned with the Renegades in 2006 after the Riverdogs discontinued play.

Harvie stated the Renegades have started to refund all season and playoff ticket deposits and they expect to have that finished by March 31st. He said the team’s offices in the Coliseum will remain open until “around April 4th” and he is asking fans to pick up items they won in recent auctions as soon as possible. The Renegades offices will also be open this Saturday, March 28th, from 9:30 am until noon. Fans can gain entry into the Coliseum only through the East Leigh Street entrance.

“We still have until April 30th to sign an extension with the Coliseum but I, and my financial partners, have exhausted every avenue we know in an attempt to raise the necessary money. If someone were to walk in with $300,000, we would be back in business but the chances of that happening are one in a million,” Harvie continued. “I sincerely thank our fantastic booster club and fans, who are truly the greatest fans in hockey, for their support. Coach Goudie, Tracy Hynes and Brian Nevetral will be sorely missed as their contributions and dedication to hockey in Richmond were seemingly endless. To the interns and volunteers who have spent countless hours working with us I say a heartfelt thank you because without you our work would have been so much harder.”

Harvie noted that the team will be hosting a sale in the immediate future that would include new and used hockey equipment, sticks, memorabilia and office equipment. The date and time of the sale will be posted on the team website, http://www.rrenegades.com.
Jeffrey T. Capo

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:31 pm

With Twin City and Richmond gone, the SPHL will have some rebuilding to do.

evense
Site Admin

Richmond folding

Post by evense » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:17 pm

I will be in Richmond then, but I am a fairly new rider. What level are you guys at?

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:46 pm

Winston-Salem plays at the annex, not at the main arena. Also, all the previous teams that were there in recent years were notorious for doing zero marketing. So even if a really rich group was there, nobody would come after being burned so many times.
Never make anyone a priority that makes you an option.

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:54 pm

Personally, I think a Richmond SPHL (or maybe even ECHL) team could do well again...but not at the Coliseum.

The SportsQuest arena in nearby Chesterfield opening up in 2011 (they own the IFL's Richmond Revolution) could be a viable spot...we'll just have to wait and see.
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

Return to “SPHL”