Reality -- AF1 FanZone NOT For Fans

The ArenaFootball1 (AF1) forum.
Gaetano Verdone
Site Admin

Reality -- AF1 FanZone NOT For Fans

Post by Gaetano Verdone » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:32 pm

It seems that the AF1 FanZone has taken a new path that is now taking the site away from the fans. I found this out last week the hard way. I spent much time on the site hoping to find out answers regarding my teams, but a strange thing started to occur. Threads were posted that no one could reply to. Then threads started to disappear altogether. I am a fan of both the Green Bay Blizzard AND the Milwaukee Iron. I have had loyalty to the Blizzard for several years and am also loyal to the Iron because they are my home team. However, the AF1 FanZone made it clear that I am not allowed to remain loyal to the Blizzard anymore because they are now in the IFL. The only loyalty allowed by the AF1 FanZone is loyalty to the AF1 -- league loyalty only. Team loyalty is NOT ALLOWED!!! To put it bluntly, the AF1 FanZone made it clear to all its members that our 1st Amendment Right to Free Speech does not apply on the FanZone. If you are a member of the AF1 FanZone, then you must conform to the Marxist-Leninist way of thinking by the sites moderators or else the Ministry Propaganda will ban you from the site. That is what happened to me. I posted a thread about other threads being deleted. Threads that brought into question the AF1 League and what is happening with it. Here is my take on the AF1 and the Af1 FanZone:

1. Is the AF1 a viable league at this time? -- No. They have been trying to accomplish too much too fast, and are now finding that teams are leaving at an exponential rate. The league expects too much in the way of expenses at this time, expenses that can drive teams that are financially strapped into bankruptcy before the 2010 season even starts.

2. Will the AF1 become a viable league? -- Yes. But they need to slow down, and give teams a chance to build up their stability. The AF1 needs to spend the next 3 to 5 years doing this, then they can pay the higher player salaries, travel costs will not be an issues then because there will be more teams, and the league dues will be easier to manage.

3. Will the AF1 FanZone allow its members to post threads stating this? -- No. If you do, you will be banned. Like Stalinist Russia, free speech and individual thinking are not allowed by the Af1 FanZone's Ministry Propaganda. The only threads that can be posted and the ones that tell everyone that the AF1 is the best league possible, that there are no teams leaving for other leagues, and that the only viable league in existence is the AF1.

4. Can member exercise their First Amendment Right to Freedom of Speech on the AF1 FanZone? -- ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! Nothing may be posted that does not conform to the Marxist-Leninist way of thinking by the moderators of the site. All posts that exercise free speech and individual thinking will be removed ASAP and the poster and anyone who replies will be banned.

5. Do I wish the AF1 success? -- Absolutely!!! I am an Arena Football fan and have been for over 15 years. (A fact that means nothing to the AF1 FanZone!!!) It is my hope the one day the AF1 does become a viable league and that the Green Bay Blizzard will return as its prodigal son.

6. Will I continue to support my teams regardless of which league they will play in? -- You're damn skippy I will!!! I may have been ordered by the moderators of the AF1 FanZone that I cannot show loyalty to the Green Bay Blizzard because of their move to the IFL, but the fact remains that there is not a damn thing they can do about it. Point of fact, the only they could do was ban me from the FanZone, and they have already done that. Too bad for them that there are other sites that allow this type of discussion and that they cannot impose their will on the moderators of those sites. They may try, and believe me, they will definitely try. But there just too many of these sites, and they will never get to them all.

I think I have ranted long enough. But the real issue here is that the AF1 FanZone just does not get it. They need to realize that the last time I checked, this was still America and not Stalinist Russia. I think the comedy duo of Penn and Teller said it best: "The stifling of Free Speech, no matter what you call it, is HUMBUG!!!" The moderators of the AF1 FanZone don't have to like, they just have to accept it!!!

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:02 pm

Standard reminder: "Free Speech" pertains only to the government. Private organizations are under no obligation to guarantee free speech.

So it's quite legal for the AF1 message board to ban threads about non-AF1 teams.

In the end, you're right. If you want to discuss the Blizzard, in the context of their exit from Arena ball, you have plenty of places to do so. AF1 is under no obligation to let you do it on their board. You'd like to think they were thick-skinned enough to allow it anyway, but it is their choice.

Bruiser
Site Admin

Post by Bruiser » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:25 pm

Why bother with that site? They're hypocritical at best. They'll badger you for questioning the actions the league takes but have no qualms about belittling their very own coaches and players. Rich Ingold comes to mind as a favorite target.

It's a good ol' boys club. Bigots and malcontents. You're better off not wondering why it is what it is and ponder some thought provoking and insightful debate here or on Arenafan.

Like the Official AFL site before it, the ogres of the arena/indoor football world will soon kill that AF1fanzone site off too.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:03 pm

[quote=""Bruiser""]Why bother with that site? They're hypocritical at best. They'll badger you for questioning the actions the league takes but have no qualms about belittling their very own coaches and players. Rich Ingold comes to mind as a favorite target.[/quote]
Don't forget KB from the Sunshine state.
He was verbally attack along with the team on a consistant basis both from the stands and across the forums by the Legendary Hypocrite.

daytonadan
Site Admin

Post by daytonadan » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:00 pm

You never launch a fan forum until all the business deals are done and in effect. People never learn.
Former Hall Monitor
Mrs. Brown's 4th Grade Class, Faulkner Elementary
New Smyrna Beach, Florida, 1974-75
"I Have More Important Things To Occupy My Time That What's Being Said On Message Boards -- OSC Founder Paul Reeths"
"There's a sucker born every minute" -- PT Barnum

phydeaux72
Site Admin

Post by phydeaux72 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:37 pm

[quote=""daytonadan""]You never launch a fan forum until all the business deals are done and in effect. People never learn.[/quote]

Not everyone can be perfect like you, Dan. ;)

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:44 pm

[quote=""daytonadan""]You never launch a fan forum until all the business deals are done and in effect. People never learn.[/quote]

In defense of the AF1, they didn't launch this forum.

Over the past 2 years with the AFL sinking, fans on the AFLMB were concerned about having an ArenaBall forum to go to. Several members had started their own forums as a backup but none took off and grabbed the attention of fans. So Mike Bawden (former af2 owner) started this forum under a different name. He didn't have the time to run it so he turned it over to a fan to run.

As the AFL and af2 crumbled and the AF1 formed, the name was changed to reflect the fledgling league. Jerry Kurz and the AF1 do funnel info to the mod and half heartedly accept it as a semi-official forum but allow the inmates to run the assylum.

It seems to be run on jealousy and hate. If you support the AF1 you can call names and attack others. If you hint at any interest in another league you are quickly shot down. If you continue you'll be edited out and banned for sacriledge by the Ayatollah and he will set in place a jihad against you and your loved ones. ;)

ShefZ28
Site Admin

Post by ShefZ28 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:23 pm

I laugh at grown men who take the internet so seriously.

Bruiser
Site Admin

Post by Bruiser » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:13 am

[quote=""ShefZ28""]I laugh at grown men who take the internet so seriously.[/quote]
Says the dude with the Camaro fetish...
Any sane, grown man knows MoPar rules and is
the only consideration for serious muscle car afficianados. ;)

NatePreds05
Site Admin

Post by NatePreds05 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:22 pm

I find AF1 FanZone is a great place to get up to date information on the league and connect with other fans. It is the most active board for Arenafootball fans (more active than the AFL boards or the Arenafan one).

Of course threads are banned that are about non AF1 teams. I am sure other leagues' message boards do the same practices.

Return to “AF1”