Ronald Oswalt?

The Indoor Football League (IFL) forum
daytonadan
Site Admin

Close.

Post by daytonadan » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:31 am

If anyone other than the coach or player is quoted in a game story -- $5,000 fine.

There was also a part about a kick in the groin with steel tipped boots for all offending GMs ...
Former Hall Monitor
Mrs. Brown's 4th Grade Class, Faulkner Elementary
New Smyrna Beach, Florida, 1974-75
"I Have More Important Things To Occupy My Time That What's Being Said On Message Boards -- OSC Founder Paul Reeths"
"There's a sucker born every minute" -- PT Barnum

phydeaux72
Site Admin

Post by phydeaux72 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:52 am

[quote=""daytonadan""]If anyone other than the coach or player is quoted in a game story -- $5,000 fine.[/quote]

That has absolutely got to be just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Whoever came up with that crap is real tool.

daytonadan
Site Admin

Hello, I'm Mr. Tool.

Post by daytonadan » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:10 am

It was a frakking joke, Brandon. Relax. But it got the point across. He never quoted himself on game days ever again.
Former Hall Monitor
"I Have More Important Things To Occupy My Time That What's Being Said On Message Boards -- OSC Founder Paul Reeths"

phydeaux72
Site Admin

Nice to meet you, Mr. Tool!

Post by phydeaux72 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:59 pm

[quote=""daytonadan""]It was a frakking joke, Brandon. Relax.[/quote]

Ha! Good one, Dan! :p

Big Easy
Site Admin

Post by Big Easy » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:55 pm

After taking some time to consider this, I regret saying anything negative about Ron. Thats not my style...I've always tried to conduct myself better than that....so I apologize to Ron and the guys who run this site...especially Ron.

While I'm not a fan of Ron's style or the way he can embellish things, I doubt he had the tools or resources to make a serious run of it with the Turfcats. It's not uncommon for a team (a successful one, one hanging by a string, or anything in between) to appoint a GM (or "executive"), give him very little resources...and at the same time hold him to a standard of achievement thats not realistic.

So what do you do if you are in that position? Successful people are confident in their ability. You have to believe you can or you are doomed from the start. They think they can make a difference in spite of the challenges in front of them. So Ron works his butt off and tries to "will" this organization into success in spite of the limitations he most likely dealt with....saying anything he can to get someone to pay attention to his efforts. He does so, not considering that his statements will be attributed to him, not the organization, after the fact. He probably only had himself to truely count on...I can't imagine he had the resources to surround himself with a competent full time staff. I'm not saying he didn't have any help, just not the kind needed to meet the organization's expectations. Leaders can make a difference, but most of the time they are only as good as their support system and the people around them. In the process he probably figures getting his name out there isn't a bad idea....so that he can at least hang his hat on his efforts at some point....because I wouldn't say theres a lot of loyalty in this sport....he'll have to toot his own horn....which he happens to do well.

The biggest mistake I think Ron made was putting himself out there and making statements or promises he couldn't back up. He also inserted himself in too many football stories....fans don't care about what the business guy has to say...and to people in the business it came across as self serving. At some point reailty has to replace grandiose desire. I'm sure he was "selling" or "marketing" and hoping to make something out of virtually nothing, but in the process he put his name on the line....needlessly. These organizations will encourage you to do so.....they want every drop of blood, sweat and tears you have...while not giving you much support in return. When you are gone you become their scapegoat....the reason they couldn't be successful (according to them). At that point, all you have is your good name to fall back on....but if you've compromised that, you have nothing. I wish Ron good luck as he moves on....and the same goes to the guy who replaces him....and those who find themselves in similar situations. Be true to yourselves first. It's a vicious cycle.
Last edited by Big Easy on Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:06 pm, edited 9 times in total.
If integrity is missing, so are you.

indoor fan
Site Admin

Post by indoor fan » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:28 am

[quote=""daytonadan""]If anyone other than the coach or player is quoted in a game story -- $5,000 fine.

There was also a part about a kick in the groin with steel tipped boots for all offending GMs ...[/quote]

I think he made this rule a little to late to save his job. I believe he was fired for just that. He tried to make the team the Austin Oswalts.

daytonadan
Site Admin

Post by daytonadan » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:58 am

Indoor Fan:

If Ron learns from this experience, than it will be good for all.
Former Hall Monitor

ronaldoswalt
Site Admin

Merry Christmas

Post by ronaldoswalt » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:58 pm

Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday and I wish all a wonderful 2010
http://www.twitter.com/ronaldoswalt
Last edited by ronaldoswalt on Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: add twitter address

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:58 pm

Back at ya Ron.

Here's wishing you and yours a very happy Holiday season and a prosperous New Year!

trifecta
Site Admin

Post by trifecta » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:26 am

Are you Serious??? A twitter account??

Return to “IFL”