Fresno is toast!

The Pacific Coast League (PCL) forum
skippy
Site Admin

Post by skippy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:12 pm

This is par for the course for Branch Rickey's PCL...

No doubt he already has another town already lined up to take on this team.

They just have to make it seem like Fresno doesn't support baseball.

I wonder where this team will end up.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:16 pm

The PCL took over ownership in Portland for a couple years before they found a buyer... who continued to pay a talked down rent, then sold to Merritt Paulson in 2007, then went bankrupt last year.

Something similar could happen in Fresno, since you don't want to pull the rug out from under a relatively new ballpark. PGE Park is something they probably want out of... Chukchansi is different.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

skippy
Site Admin

Post by skippy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:39 am

Fresno's park was poorly built in comparison to the other cookie cutter, HOK designs. One man's trash is another's treasure, so I would bet the golden league would be more than happy to take over that lease.

Rickey's legacy is going to be the trail of bankruptcies. He's got more BS lines than Professor Harold Hill, and built the AAA economy on a house of credit and debt.

I could see a town like El Paso, which is more than likely tiring of Independent ball being very interested, IF they aren't held hostage, and told what they have to do...

I feel for you, Pounder, Portland's been a financial mess since they came back.

ca
Site Admin

it wouldnt suprise me ...

Post by ca » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:43 am

if up to 6 teams wanted a new zip code in the pcl finding them is the real trick the el paso idea is an interesting on i must say

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:55 pm

http://pacificcoast.league.milb.com/mil ... 2&sid=l112

I ought to be polling everyone who will listen to try to get an estimate of ACTUAL attendance, as opposed to the announced attendance. I have a deeper suspicion at this point than just the health of the Beavers... since I'm willing to say that they may draw half the announced, at best.

After all, it strikes me kind of funny that AAA has a standard supposedly requiring a minimum 10,000 fixed seats, a standard met by NONE of the three new ballparks this year.

Remember that Rickey is a mouthpiece. The owners almost invariably own a league. I'm not sure the house of cards would be any different under a different commissioner. Maybe there's a deeper problem here.

skippy
Site Admin

Post by skippy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:53 pm

I don't believe Rickey is acting in the owner's best interest and hasn't for many years.
He filled the PCL's ranks with sycophantic morons who believed all they had to do was throw up a new stadium and count their money.

The man has systematically removed almost every owner and/or GM with practical baseball experience.

It must be interesting to have such a huge playpen all to yourself, and know that the responsibility of mucking it all up, is all yours.

It's only a matter of time before they vote him out, now.

ca
Site Admin

any loop boss ...

Post by ca » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:16 am

is basically the chairman of the board of owners and he winds up being the fall guy when its realized ya cant make chicken salad from chicken manure . however in some cases the loop boss actually thinks he can make chicken salad from chicken manure and that he's vital to said loop when he does remind you of a different bird (aka a pigeon) . fresno may be that classic example of how to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory but when ya have inflation , affiliates and taxpayers to sponge off of its only $$$

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:26 pm

Update in order.

http://kmjnow.com/pages/landing_news?Pl ... feedID=806

http://www.fresnobee.com/local/story/17 ... =mirelated

http://www.fresnobee.com/local/story/1741178.html

NOTE- the Fresno Bee stories may require registration.

Ugly situation. The cost of losing the Grizzlies is greater, and it is likely that the council will approve this, but I don't see how this pencils out.
Last edited by Pounder on Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “PCL”