Here is whats happening in Las Vegas.

Changes happening in Las Vegas.

Gulutzan leaving for AHL

Wranglers to divulge coach's move today

By TODD DEWEY
LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL
Las Vegas Wranglers

Glen Gulutzan
Will move on to AHL, after coaching the Wranglers for their entire six-year history
Photo by Ralph Fountain.

Shortly after the Wranglers were eliminated from the ECHL playoffs this year by the Alaska Aces, Las Vegas coach Glen Gulutzan said it was "certainly the most challenging season I've had" in six years at the helm of the franchise.

But after guiding the Wranglers to their second straight appearance in the National Conference finals, the fiery Gulutzan is ready to take on a new challenge -- as head coach of a team in the American Hockey League.

The Wranglers are expected to announce at noon today the departure of the 37-year-old Gulutzan, a source close to the team confirmed.

While it hasn't been announced which team has hired Gulutzan, only three AHL clubs -- the Iowa Chops, Lake Erie Monsters and expansion Texas Stars -- have head coaching vacancies.

The only coach in the six-year history of the Las Vegas franchise, Gulutzan guided the Wranglers to a league-record three straight 100-point seasons, from 2005 to 2008, and a 254-124-55 (.650) mark overall.

He led Las Vegas to the playoffs in five of his six years and was named the ECHL Coach of the Year in 2005-06, when the Wranglers went 53-13-6 and notched 112 points, the fifth-highest total in league history.

Gulutzan was selected to coach in the ECHL All-Star Game three times, tying a league record. In 2006-07, he led Las Vegas to the Brabham Cup, awarded to the league's regular-season champion. The Wranglers tied a professional hockey record that season with 18 consecutive victories.

Gulutzan guided Las Vegas to its first-ever appearance in the Kelly Cup Finals in the 2007-08 season, when it lost to Cincinnati in six games.

Gulutzan turned in perhaps his finest performance this past season, when he led Las Vegas to the conference finals after it barely broke .500 (34-31- 8) in a tumultuous regular season.

Lazer
Site Admin

Post by Lazer » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:17 am

Around the ECHL -- John Marks, the ECHL's all-time winningest coach, will guide the IHL's Dayton Gems in 2009-10. … Stockton Thunder coach Matt Thomas was rewarded with a two-year contract extension after leading the club to a 22-16-3 record and a berth in the Kelly Cup Playoffs. Thomas replaced Chris Cichocki on Dec. 29, 2008, after the Fresno Falcons ceased operations. … Former ECHL goalie Nathan Marsters died June 8 when a deer crashed through the windshield of his pickup truck in his native Ontario. Marsters, 29, appeared in 91 games with Louisiana, Augusta and Wheeling. He made 56 saves in Louisiana's 5-3 win against Pensacola on March 29, 2005. … The Gwinnett Gladiators sent forward Andy Brandt to the South Carolina Stingrays to complete the Nov. 13, 2008 deal for goalie Josh Johnson, who re-signed with Gwinnett. … The Utah Grizzlies acquired the rights to defenseman Slavomir Tomko from the Elmira Jackals to complete the Nov. 8, 2008 trade for center Brandon Scero. … The Idaho Steelheads agreed to terms with forward Matt McKnight and defenseman Weston Tardy. … The Cincinnati Cyclones traded forward Kyle Rank and defenseman Joe Ryan to the Reading Royals to complete the future considerations portion of a March 9 trade that sent Mac Faulkner and Gerard Miller to Cincinnati. The Royals also signed defenseman Dinos Stamoulis. … Veteran forward Ernie Hartlieb has re-signed with the Florida Everblades.

Lazer
Site Admin

Post by Lazer » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:28 am

Will Quad Cities come to the ECHL or IHL?

http://www.qctimes.com/sports/hockey/pr ... 002e0.html

Deadline looms for Q-C hockey negotiations

One week from Wednesday looms as a soft but effective deadline for a decision on the fate of professional hockey in the Quad-Cities.

Scott Mullen, executive director of the i wireless Center and a leader of the supportqchockey.com movement, said there certainly would be no announcment this week that Double-A hockey is returning to his building in the fall.

Mullen and consultant Howard Cornfield continue for now with protracted negotiations with an out-of-town person who is considering fielding a team here.

But,Mullen said, if those discussions drag on past July 1, supportqchockey.com will not hang on to more than $12,000 that has been deposited in $25 increments toward the purchase of season tickets for a 2009-2010 hockey season.

That was a refund date promised when supportqchockey.com was formed in mid-March.

"If we don't have a team by July 1, people are getting their refunds," Mullen said. "I will not hold their money. I have told him that, and he is aware of that.

"If he wants to get a deal done or not get a deal done before that date, he needs to figure that out soon. We're not lying to our community. That's what we said and, whether that hurts or helps, we're going to keep our word."

The prospective owner, who has demanded anonymity, continues to talk to both the International Hockey League and the ECHL about potentially fielding a Q-C team in their league.

Mullen said the potential owner was expected to attend ECHL summer meetings this week. He also was at last week's IHL meetings in Las Vegas.

The IHL did not conclude its full agenda last week, keeping its options open for a vote on possible expansion via a later teleconference.

A Fort Wayne, Ind., newspaper suggested that vote might take place Wednesday, but, if so, Mullen said, that vote won't involve a possible Q-C team.

"I know why there is not going to be an announcement this week," the building leader said. "He has told me his schedule. He couldn't get to the Quad-Cities if he wanted to. It's not going to be this week."

Beyond that detail, there also is the issue of a lease agreement with the iwC. That doesn't yet exist, Mullen stressed.

Mullen hopes it does - or not - in the very near future.

He described the potential owner as "a creative marketing guy, and I think he is going to do a heckuva job here."

But, he said the time for a decision is soon.

"We're hoping to get there, but if the answer is no, I will move on with life and book the shows I have waiting in queue for an answer right now.

"I fully expect to have a decision before July 1."
Last edited by Lazer on Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Primis
Site Admin

Post by Primis » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:52 pm

I think the ECHL is out at this point. Eastern teams have released their schedules with Kalamazoo worked in. They're not going to rework the schedule AGAIN at this point, because the schedule has made enough fans unhappy as it is. A reworked one would be even worse..

QC's options are now the IHL, or staying dark a year. And it's looking more and more like going dark might be the reality as they slog along.

mrsummitcitypigskin
Site Admin

Post by mrsummitcitypigskin » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:01 am

Now thats not what we're hearing around the IHL. Sources close to
the league say the door is still open for QC and we should know something
about it and maybe 1 more for 2010-11 by the 4th of July holiday.
Evansville is officially in w/ the Icemen for 2011-12. That could be pushed
out a year if the E.ville venue is not ready.

Lazer
Site Admin

Post by Lazer » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:31 am

[quote=""mrsummitcitypigskin""]Now thats not what we're hearing around the IHL. Sources close to
the league say the door is still open for QC and we should know something
about it and maybe 1 more for 2010-11 by the 4th of July holiday.
Evansville is officially in w/ the Icemen for 2011-12. That could be pushed
out a year if the E.ville venue is not ready.[/quote]

I think the IHL would have an easier time with redoing their schedule, with only 6 teams. The other IHL teams would welcome another team to watch.

With saying that, I for one would welcome QC to the ECHL family next year.

Lazer
Site Admin

Post by Lazer » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:36 am

It looks like the Victoria Salmon Kings have lost their best D-man to Europe for next year. Matt Kelly maybe gone for the 2009/2010 season.

He will be greatly missed, GOOD LUCK MATT KELLY.

mrsummitcitypigskin
Site Admin

Post by mrsummitcitypigskin » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:44 am

[quote=""Lazer""]I think the IHL would have an easier time with redoing their schedule, with only 6 teams. The other IHL teams would welcome another team to watch.

With saying that, I for one would welcome QC to the ECHL family next year.[/quote]

The IHL will not complete their schedule until they have a firm set of teams.
At this point, it looks like Q.C. is in the league for 2009-10. But anything can
happen. Understand there may be another team under consideration but
sources are not saying who.

wannabe2
Site Admin

Scott Romfo D Man

Post by wannabe2 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:37 pm

Know all the stats on this guy, but has anyone seen him play in the ECHL, as he has just signed for my team in the UK. Its always good to hear fans views on players, can you help please.
Cheers
Glynne.

Geoff
Site Admin

Post by Geoff » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:25 pm

I've seen him play. Hated him. As I usually do with good players who were the opponent. My memory is fuzzy since I haven't seen him in over a year. Sorry I can't tell you about his style.

Return to “ECHL”