Colorado 14ers - 2009 D-League Champions

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
USBasket_EricE
Site Admin

Colorado 14ers - 2009 D-League Champions

Post by USBasket_EricE » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:44 am

Just thought I'd put out a congratulatory thread for the 14ers on their victory tonight. Best regular season record in D-League history and a 2-0 sweep in the finals. Since the Wizards couldn't do it, I'm glad this was the team that could. Congrats to Billy Thomas, Eddie Gill, and Coach Owens, the former Wizards stars and coach, and to Josh Davis and Joe Dabbert, the other CBA veterans. And congrats to the rest of the team and their head coach. And what a birthday present for Owner Tim Wiens.

I know that the team might not return next season, but hey, what a nice ending.

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:30 pm

[quote=""USBasket_EricE""]Just thought I'd put out a congratulatory thread for the 14ers on their victory tonight. Best regular season record in D-League history and a 2-0 sweep in the finals. Since the Wizards couldn't do it, I'm glad this was the team that could. Congrats to Billy Thomas, Eddie Gill, and Coach Owens, the former Wizards stars and coach, and to Josh Davis and Joe Dabbert, the other CBA veterans. And congrats to the rest of the team and their head coach. And what a birthday present for Owner Tim Wiens.

I know that the team might not return next season, but hey, what a nice ending.[/quote]
Like I said, the arena possibly shutting down doesn't HAVE to be the end for the 14ers.

They oughta consider the BUDWEISER EVENTS CENTER: It's well-known for accommidating some good sports teams and will do the same for the 14ers (who wouldn't have to change a thing about their design pattern)
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

baller5000
Site Admin

Post by baller5000 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:58 pm

The arena is not shutting down. Mr. Wiens has been let out of his contract to manage the building. He has lost so much money that he will not keep the team. If there was someone who could buy it, they could stay.

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:33 am

He could not afford to pay the Gas and Electric bills at the arena this winter so he passed the cost(management of the arena) on to the City. However, the 14ers have a nice lease agreement, so staying would be cheap if they could reach a hybrid agreement with the Nuggets and they can find a buyer for both the Rage and the 14ers. (Since the Rage won't be able to move in to Budweiser as well I don't see the 14ers moving north).
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:43 am

I liked the way this team was put together - Gill, Lucus, Thomas and Davis have all been solid rotational players in the league. A veteran minor league 7 footer, a developing C/F in the model of Anthony Mason in Gransberry who flamed out in France and a rookie that would not dress much this season on a solid playoff team like the Nuggets in Weems. As the D-league continues to expand I'm not sure if we'll ever see another D-league team this good. The talent level in the D-league this year was higher than I have ever seen in minor league ball, old CBA days included. From Mid-Jan on, it seemed like most of the big name free agents were electing to play in the D-league opposed to going overseas. Tulsa had 3 former No.1 picks on their roster and they still finished last. The league made a nice come back from last year when most of the top notch talent went to Europe.
Last edited by bectond on Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:04 am

I don't know much about the hockey team but man.... the 14ers would do better in, Loveland (Budwieser Events Center), Colorado Springs (World Arena), could go to Casper WY (Casper Events Center), Rapid City (Rushmore Civic Center Arena or the Ice Arena), or even Omaha which has a few arenas that could work for them.....

Return to “D-League”