New play-off format

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:13 pm

I'm surprised that Idaho lost to Austin, the Toros did have an NBA ringer (Harrison) on their squad and he balanced the rosters out a bit. Iowa made a huge mistake by not passing on the Wizards. The 14ers and Wizards should advance to the Finals Colorado does have a size advantage due to the Benson trade, but I see Dakota winning it all.
Last edited by bectond on Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

a1sports
Site Admin

Post by a1sports » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:45 am

d-league.... a joke league.

1.players pay is bad
2. you get 10 players not 12
3. cost to run a team is way to much
4. you have no choice in who you get as players
5. Pick your own play-off opponent.....unreal

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:05 am

[quote=""a1sports""]d-league.... a joke league.

1.players pay is bad
5. Pick your own play-off opponent.....unreal[/quote]

Normally, I got your back, but in this case:

1. name what minor league doesn't pay low. D-League players get paid. Their checks clear. And some players hit the pay window of the NBA.
2. You don't need many more in the minors. These guys are here to play, not sit the bench. Yes, it can get a bit rough for a 50-game schedule, but you're also cutting those who can't hack it and picking up players for a look-see as the season goes on. Think that's rough, try an 82-game NBA schedule.
3. Pro sports, especially done right, isn't cheap. Anyone thinking they can make oodles and oodles of money in this business (especially playing in rec centers, high school gyms and junior college gyms) get a big surprise. But D-League owners (except the ones directly owned by NBA teams) don't pay their players. Yes some NBA owners complain about the D-League (like the NFL owners complained about NFL-Europe), even though you can pay an entire D-League team and coaching staff for less than one low level NBA player. That's a bargain.
4. Neither does any Class AAA, AA, A advanced, A regular, A short-season or rookie league team in affiliated baseball. The same can be said for about half the players on AHL rosters and roughly a quarter of the players of the ECHL and I don't know too many who complain about it.
5. While it was a bit unusual, everyone in the league knew what to expect. If you didn't want to come out on the short end, you'd better win or not make the playoffs. There were no changes to the format once the playoffs start.

The D-League isn't perfect, but it's the best thing out there for domestic minor league basketball.

And that's all I've got got to say about the D-League.

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:02 am

The Flash had too many first round ringers on their roster for the overacheiving Wiz,(three). The finals will be a battle between a team with three up and coming young NBA talents (Almond, Giddens, and the Greek kid) and a team with a solid veteran core of ex-nba pine riders (Gill, Thomas, Davis) that reminds me of the CBA teams of the past. It's going to be a developmental vs. 2nd chance finals.
Last edited by bectond on Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:40 pm

1.players pay is bad
5. Pick your own play-off opponent.....unreal[/quote]

The D-League is just fine for just about everyone, save for maybe some of its team owners. Who cares (besides them) how much money they lose as long as everyone gets paid and the games get played? That's what it's all about, and that's where the D-League is succeeding while the rest of minor league basketball stumbles along.

USBasket_EricE
Site Admin

Post by USBasket_EricE » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:09 am

[quote=""bectond""]The Flash had too many first round ringers on their roster for the overacheiving Wiz,(three). The finals will be a battle between a team with three up and coming young NBA talents (Almond, Giddens, and the Greek kid) and a team with a solid veteran core of ex-nba pine riders (Gill, Thomas, Davis) that reminds me of the CBA teams of the past. It's going to be a developmental vs. 2nd chance finals.[/quote]

Yeah, Colorado did go for the former CBA players this year (and last year). Gill and Thomas spent time with the Wizards in 03-04 and 04-06, respectively, and Davis made a name for himself with the Stampede in 2004 when he became the league MVP. The 14ers also have Joe Dabbert, who spent time with the Great Lakes Storm in 2005 and the Skyforce in later years. They've also got Casey Owens on their coaching staff, someone who knows how to build a winning team (I still, to this day, have no idea why the Wizards let him go after such a successful season...and decided to go with Dave Bliss...). Former CBA players all the way! Good luck in the finals, Colorado.

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:00 pm

An odd thing happened during Game 1, the veteran 14ers were led by a young NBA draftee/ ringer (Weems) and the Flash were led by a NBA veteran (dupree). Looks like Colorado is going to take it all. I like their fast pace playing style as well, it is a shame that the local fans in Broomfield never really came out to see the product this year. They missed a good show, plenty of ex-nba players playing fast paced basetball with a few young NBA players on assignment coming off the bench.

bdyer
Site Admin

Post by bdyer » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:49 pm

1.players pay is bad[/quote]All pay in the states outside the NBA is bad.
You get anywhere from 10 to 12 players. If you have 12 players, you have at least 2 NBA players on your squad. Those guys are pretty good at basketball.
Too much for PBL owners? Probably. The cost of running a PBL team was too much for several PBL owners the past two seasons as well.
What does that even mean? There is a draft and player allocation to get players of local interest. Plenty of choice there.
5. Pick your own play-off opponent.....unreal
I can't believe a PBL shill would have the stones to criticize anything about another league's playoffs this season. The PBL left itself wide open to accusations of its finals' being fixed. Hope the money was worth it.

You really don't want to start comparing the PBL to the D-League. Take care of your own business.

DazedAndAmused
Site Admin

Post by DazedAndAmused » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:35 am

[quote=""bdyer""]

You really don't want to start comparing the PBL to the D-League. Take care of your own business.[/quote]

Amen. Not sure why the guy wants to go there. Cheers to the only viable 2 minor leagues around (for now.)

Return to “D-League”