New play-off format

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
USBasket_EricE
Site Admin

New play-off format

Post by USBasket_EricE » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:07 am

In an article within an article in the Bismarck Tribune about the Dakota Wizards' loss to Colorado, the format for this year's play-offs was announced. I haven't found a link to it, but it sounds like the top 8 teams make the play-offs. The team with the best overall record gets to choose which of the other 7 teams they'd like to face in the first round. The next highest seed then gets to choose their opponent, and then the next, and so on.

The first and second rounds will be single game elimination and the finals will again be a best-of-3.

Any thoughts about the whole "choosing your opponent" idea?

carterpatterson
Site Admin

Post by carterpatterson » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:22 pm

I think its awesome. They call it the D-League for a reason. The NBA uses it to test ideas and this is definitely a decision that shows it.

It will make for great locker room talk for the team "selected" to play against the top seed.
Carter Patterson
The Atlanta Vision - http://www.atlvision.com

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:54 pm

Very interesting. Now teams can trade seed for distance (as in lack thereof) if they want...

...or avoid the boogey team that might be the 8th seed, which can generate its own talk.

Not a bad idea.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

DakotaWizardsFan
Site Admin

Post by DakotaWizardsFan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:22 pm

Sounds interesting.

I don't think the Wizards will get to choose their opponent, so I'm definitely hoping it's not Iowa.
'00-'01 IBA Champions
'01-'02 CBA Champions
'03-'04 CBA Champions
'06-'07 D-League Champions

We're coming for you Iowa!

USBasket_EricE
Site Admin

Post by USBasket_EricE » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:40 am

So, here's how the play-off standings look right now:

1. Colorado
2. (Idaho or Utah)
3. Iowa
4. (Idaho, Utah, or Austin)

W1. (Idaho, Utah, or Austin)
W2. Dakota
W3. Erie
W4. Bakersfield

They say the three division winners will have the first three opponent picks in their respective order in overall standings. Colorado has already clinched #1 overall. Iowa cannot go higher or lower than #3, even though the #4 team will have a better record than them. Idaho and Utah will be playing each other for the #2 spot tomorrow. If Idaho wins, Utah will be the top Wild Card team. Utah and Austin tied each other in their season series, but Austin finished with more points, which gives them the edge should a tie-breaker come into play. The only way that will happen is if Austin loses tomorrow. If Austin loses, they want Idaho to win, so they can have the #4 spot. If Utah wins and Austin loses, Austin will be the top Wild Card team and Idaho will be #4. Is anyone confused yet?

The Wild Card standings really don't matter, but if you want a technical reading right now, Dakota has clinched #2, Erie clinched #3, and Bakersfield clinched the final play-off spot at #4. Erie can tie Dakota with a win tomorrow, but Dakota won the season series, giving them the higher spot. Bakersfield finished the season at 26-24, below Dakota's 27-23, and it doesn't matter how Erie (26-23 currently) does tomorrow because they won the season series against Bakersfield.

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:58 pm

So Erie was the team that was "called out", I have Boise repeating if they get by Dakota. If I were Idaho I would have passed on Dakota as well.
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

USBasket_EricE
Site Admin

Post by USBasket_EricE » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:56 am

Idaho never had a choice. They were the #5 team. According to the bracket on the D-League site, the winner of the Colorado/Erie game will play the winner of the Austin/Idaho game, while the winner of the Utah/Bakersfield game will take on the winner of the Iowa/Dakota game.

I honestly think Erie could upset Colorado. The 14ers just started to lose it as the season wore down. And the Bayhawks are going to want to prove themselves and play their best game of the season. My other picks are Idaho, Utah, and Dakota. Yeah, the Energy pushed the Wizards around a lot this season, but not this time. It's not going to be a repeat of last season when they were embarrassed by the Skyforce in the first round. I want to see another Idaho/Dakota finals. It's been 5 years since the 2004 CBA championship game, which saw those two teams battle it out. Nostalgia...

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:09 am

Sorry, I mixed up Idaho and Iowa. Iowa should have by passed Dakota as well.
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

USBasket_EricE
Site Admin

Post by USBasket_EricE » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:18 am

Well, so much for an upset. The 14ers creamed the Bayhawks.

USBasket_EricE
Site Admin

Post by USBasket_EricE » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:46 am

Come on 2007 Finals REMATCH!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “D-League”