Pensacola

The Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL) forum
wellington
Site Admin

Pensacola

Post by wellington » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:19 pm

League officials will be meeting with potential owners, city officials, and fans in Pensacola next week.

http://www.volunteertv.com/sports/headl ... 38722.html

Also, article mentions possible relocation of Twin City Cyclones. Greenville?

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:08 pm

The commish has said he is in talks with an ownership group there...As critical as I had been of the Ice Pilots, I really hope Pensacola gets another team-so long as that team allows other sports tenants into the Civic Center.

As for rumors surrounding Biloxi, the Commish wouldn't speak directly on them, but he did say "Pensacola is not my only stop on I-10". So that could mean not only Biloxi, but also Mobile, Lafayette, or Baton Rouge could be under consideration (This would be the PERFECT time for the Jacksonville Barracudas to resume operations!)

As for other potential cities: I am REALLY surprised it didn't work out in Richmond...Guess that might kill any hope for Roanoke too...Like you and Paul said, Greenville & Greensboro have a problem with arenas that are waaay too big for minor-league teams...Still, I hope they can work something out...maybe Macon and/or Augusta could also pop back up into discussion?
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:50 pm

adsco
Site Admin

Post by adsco » Sun May 17, 2009 11:34 pm

The Tim Kerr group would be a great addition to the SPHL, they would give the SPHL credibility.

The problem with the SPHL is the areanas. It is difficult to make the rent payments on areanas with a seating capacity of more than 3,000, as generally most areanas charge 50 cents a seat; and when you have rent over $1,500 a game - it is just too difficult to make ends meet for the team owners. $1,500 a game might not sound like much; but most of these centers charge for parking and when the profit off the consessions is added in - they are the only ones too make money!

Return to “SPHL”