East Kentucky Miners updates?

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

I rest my case

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:20 pm

Yes, I understand you can't comment on everything. Yes, I think there is little difference between the PBL and ABA. IMO, the teams that are apparently doing well in the PBL now were also doing well in the ABA then. The pockets seem a bit deeper, but the PBL is nothing more than a re-hashing of failed ABA concepts, IMO. I've never made any bones about admitting that.

[quote=""preeths""]
How many communities have been burned by locals? Tons. Wasn't Jewel Harris Sr. a local? It isn't all about out-of-towners. It's about doing good business, getting your money up front (rent before games are played, for instance) and being aware of who you're actually dealing with (an individual or a corporate entity).[/quote]

Ironically, Jewell Harris, Sr. burned the city relating to baseball not basketball. A long story, but he went to jail for it. The city didn't get burned for basketball until last season. My point is that with locals, there isn't a quick getaway (I think I've already stated that in previous posts). Take the Steelheads for example, the owners are going to have to make good on last season one way or another. They all have homes, families, and businesses in the area. Some do business with the city. There's nowhere to hide. Everyone knows everyone else.

Dollars to donuts Pikeville won't be seeing Trinity again. Poof!

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:25 pm

Local or not, sometimes there just isn't the ability or willingness to make good. Most of the time, the money is gone, and if it isn't, putting food on the table takes precedence. If Steelheads ownership actually does make good, it would be a rarity. I know a couple people they've owed for two years running now. Your faith in them is commendable.

Chuck the Writer
Site Admin

Post by Chuck the Writer » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:33 pm

[quote=""preeths""]Local or not, sometimes there just isn't the ability or willingness to make good. Most of the time, the money is gone, and if it isn't, putting food on the table takes precedence. If Steelheads ownership actually does make good, it would be a rarity. I know a couple people they've owed for two years running now. Your faith in them is commendable.[/quote]

We gotta cut Ken a break. He's probably bummed that Marlowe Currie's playing for a championship ring and he won't get it wearing a Steelheads uniform. :)

Same thing that psbf has to deal with as he watches Lincoln Glass score those points for the Millrats. :)

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:42 pm

Who was paying the space cadets travel cost while he was off visiting all those beaches in search of investors? Did the CBA braintrust factor in travel cost, say from Pikeville to Panama City? I think somebody must of dropped dime on the cadet because he was out of the picture by the time the CBA pBS! Merger talks started. Does anyone know If Mr. Vick was directly involved with the merger talks, did his gambling have anything to do with the failed outcome?
Last edited by bectond on Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:21 am

When I watched a former Xplosion player like Lincoln Glass play for another team, it reminds me of watching them with the X. I'm not giving up the team I once supported one day returning.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Marlowe is one of the good guys

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:58 pm

[quote=""Chuck the Writer""]We gotta cut Ken a break. He's probably bummed that Marlowe Currie's playing for a championship ring and he won't get it wearing a Steelheads uniform. :)

Same thing that psbf has to deal with as he watches Lincoln Glass score those points for the Millrats. :) [/quote]

Marlowe Currie scored the first points ever for the USBL Steelheads:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EVajP9JXwQ

In addition to the CBA Steelheads, Marlowe Currie was on the IBL Steelheads but did not last the season. He shares the distinction of being on all three versions of the Steelheads with Robert Griffin

Chuck the Writer
Site Admin

Post by Chuck the Writer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:45 pm

[quote=""Ken, Steelheads fan""]Marlowe Currie scored the first points ever for the USBL Steelheads:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EVajP9JXwQ

In addition to the CBA Steelheads, Marlowe Currie was on the IBL Steelheads but did not last the season. He shares the distinction of being on all three versions of the Steelheads with Robert Griffin[/quote]

But nobody can lay claim to playing on all FOUR versions of the Steelheads, can they Ken?

Or have we forgotten that other IBL that the Steelheads were part of in 2001?

basketball facts
Site Admin

Post by basketball facts » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:03 pm

Chuck, you really are a piece of work

Chuck the Writer
Site Admin

Post by Chuck the Writer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:20 pm

[quote=""basketball facts""]Chuck, you really are a piece of work[/quote]

Yes, I work very hard. Thank you for noticing. :)

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:28 pm

[quote=""psbf""]When I watched a former Xplosion player like Lincoln Glass play for another team, it reminds me of watching them with the X. I'm not giving up the team I once supported one day returning.[/quote]
(saw that coming)
How's that petition drive working out for you????
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

Return to “CBA”