Western Division

The American Indoor Football (AIF) forum
IndoorExpert
Site Admin

Post by IndoorExpert » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:11 pm

[quote=""Trnr""]Ownership does get it..........If AZ would have kept within their budget they would be playing this year and fielding a very competitive team to round out the West.

What is destroying the teams in indoor football are teams that overpay their players. That affects profitability and it affects competition more than anything else. That is what is "destroying" indoor football. Even the AFL found that out and decided to do something about it. So when the other teams in the IFL decide to play by the rules in regard to player salaries, then indoor football can become a viable business as it was intended. So don't say that because the Cavalry chose to stay in league that is growing that the team is being destroyed. There are blowouts in the IFL as well, so level of play is the same all over. Look at some of the IFL scores 71-3, 59-20, 70-13, 48-19, 82-12, are those teams being destroyed by the owners.

Wyoming is a great team and will continue to be so because of what it means to the small city of Casper. The Cavalry provide a great game experience and the visiting teams always have a tough time with the fans and the noise inside the CEC.[/quote]

Yes, there are teams that pay bigger salaries in the IFL. Are you insinuating that the AIFA has no teams that pay over the $200 game salary? Are you saying Wyoming has never paid a player over the $200 game salary?

I really would not compare this issue to the AFL. We would be comparing apples to oranges there.

Arizona is no longer in the league, so the "what if" affect doesnt apply here. Casper remains afloat because there isnt much else going on around Wyoming. Obviously, the Casper fans are loyal because there continues to be a decent crowd after 2 poor years of the NIFL, and 2 years of a poor schedule in the AIFA. That equates to 4 years of sub-par indoor professional football in Casper, and yet the CEC is still a great place for a game. Dont you think additional teams coming into Casper would make for a more interesting season ticket?

You claim the AIFA is growing, but lets face it, 4 teams last year, 4 teams this year in the Western Division. That isnt growing. Due to the situations in New Mexico, Wyoming is basically facing 3 expansion teams, but yes they are finally getting a better quality of athlete around the division.

How do you think Wyoming will do in the playoffs this year?

TheLunchbox_58
Site Admin

Post by TheLunchbox_58 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:22 am

whats situation i new mexico? kinda curious

Cav69
Site Admin

surprise

Post by Cav69 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:30 am

Went to the Cavs game for first time in a couple of years. Which Wyoming won 56 - 34. New Mexico was in the game until the middle of the third. Both teams played a pretty good game , and it was entertaining. Still the CEC crowd isn't what it was. It seemed very much watered down to me. I think the die hards will continue to go no matter (God love you Amanda) what. Still it is once again a new division, with new teams, and I don't believe any of the new upstarts will have the ability to create the rivalries, and thus encite the raw passion Wyomings team and fans once enjoyed.

exit322
Site Admin

Post by exit322 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:16 pm

[quote=""Trnr""]Ownership does get it..........If AZ would have kept within their budget they would be playing this year and fielding a very competitive team to round out the West.

What is destroying the teams in indoor football are teams that overpay their players. That affects profitability and it affects competition more than anything else. That is what is "destroying" indoor football. Even the AFL found that out and decided to do something about it. So when the other teams in the IFL decide to play by the rules in regard to player salaries, then indoor football can become a viable business as it was intended. So don't say that because the Cavalry chose to stay in league that is growing that the team is being destroyed. There are blowouts in the IFL as well, so level of play is the same all over. Look at some of the IFL scores 71-3, 59-20, 70-13, 48-19, 82-12, are those teams being destroyed by the owners.

Wyoming is a great team and will continue to be so because of what it means to the small city of Casper. The Cavalry provide a great game experience and the visiting teams always have a tough time with the fans and the noise inside the CEC.[/quote]

59-20 and 48-19 aren't good examples for your analysis - in general as a "safe" guideline you can halve the scores and simulate the type of beating that would've occurred had this been a 100-yard game. 30-10 and 24-10 aren't that bad. Those kinds of beatings can occur with two evenly matched teams at times.

The other scores weren't caused by overpaying players. They were caused because Sioux City and Muskegon stink.

Truly, Muskegon might be the worst legitimate (and yes, they do meet their financial obligations, even if by just squeaking by) team in the history of the sport.
What are you doing here?

Ozman
Site Admin

Post by Ozman » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:38 pm

If the AIFA West joined the IFL there would be more teams to play, instead of the same three teams all season. I think that would get old season after season, three teams all season long. Billings, Colorado and the five Texas teams are all in a decent traveling distance. Just a thought.
Last edited by Ozman on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IndoorExpert
Site Admin

Post by IndoorExpert » Tue May 26, 2009 2:21 pm

[quote=""Cav69""]Went to the Cavs game for first time in a couple of years. Which Wyoming won 56 - 34. New Mexico was in the game until the middle of the third. Both teams played a pretty good game , and it was entertaining. Still the CEC crowd isn't what it was. It seemed very much watered down to me. I think the die hards will continue to go no matter (God love you Amanda) what. Still it is once again a new division, with new teams, and I don't believe any of the new upstarts will have the ability to create the rivalries, and thus encite the raw passion Wyomings team and fans once enjoyed.[/quote]

Sad to say, but Wyoming played many of their inexperienced players to keep the game closer. Its sad that games come down to this. Its sad that the Western Division has come down to this. Ogden and New Mexico are a joke, and once again this division brings the already weakened AIFA down.

The one bright spot is that Wyoming and Utah Valley are keeping it just interesting enough in this division. Either team will still not be as prepared for the playoffs as others who play better quality of games week in and week out. Indoor football sure isnt what it used to be...........

Return to “AIF”