2009-10 NBA Expansion

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

I'm repeating myself again, so everyone please forgive me in advance.

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:18 pm

[quote=""skippy""]
From what I am hearing now, the move will be to put these teams in larger metropolitan areas, closer to parent clubs, and not even worrying about marketing them. (See D-Fenders and 14'ers).[/quote]

I'll have to plead ignorance about the European model, but this is how I see the entire future of the D-league. All teams closer to the parent clubs playing in practice facilities. No marketing. Taxi squads like the NFL. I can't see it any other way. There aren't anymore personalities like Michael Jordan and Larry Bird to cross cultural boundaries and spark additional interest in the sport. Hey, isn't that the guy who dropped 15 points on Jordan last year?!? What's he doing playing for the Mad Ants now? Those type of possibilities don't exist anymore.

BTW, those pics were very telling. Before game or no. It's obvious that arena wasn't going to magically fill to the rafters at any point of the game.

bectond
Site Admin

Since when did NFL taxi squads play games?

Post by bectond » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:19 am

The NBA business model needs to be updated, players need to be vented prior to signing huge contracts. Losing 1 mil per year operating a minor league club could save the parent clubs 10's of mil annually after you factor in the savings clubs will receive based on developing prospects on the minor league pay scale. Players will receive better coaching which will lead to a better product once the NBA trained players hit the show. Once NBA teams are allowed to control the rosters, D-L team owners will be able to command big bucks for their teams.(Because D-League teams will be extended NBA rosters, a NBDL game will be an NBA game) By the way the Pacers own the minor league baseball team that brought the Reno Bighorns, therefore the Knicks and the Kings will have to find another farm team next year.
Last edited by bectond on Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

DakotaWiz
Site Admin

Are you sure?

Post by DakotaWiz » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:33 am

From what I know about SK Baseball, Herb Simon is a CO-owner of the Pacers. He's also a CO-owner of SK Baseball, along with two other people..
Ridiculousupside.com -- A (Mostly) D-League Site

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:16 pm

I'll try to do a quick an dirty description of the European model.

Most teams have a youth program. Smarter teams will have a young kids program, most will have U-15 to U-19 teams that play regionally.

Then, at least for soccer, there's a reserve team. This helps players not playing on the first team (there's not a roster per se, you sign what you can afford, most pro soccer teams have 40-60 players signed to various contracts, including the youth teams want to keep). I would think they operate similarly for basketball. The reserve team concept would be most helpful for the 10th-12th spots on the roster that rarely see playing time- that's a major reason to have a D-League team in the same market. You will have roster crossover- and you want that.

First team, obviously, we all get this.

There's no substantive school ball in Europe (there's a "schoolboy" competition in England, which is about Little League age or just a year or two older IIRC). You are kind of anchored to your town, your outreach in town must be better than the American pro teams. You DO keep the talent you develop unless they're out of contract. You'll probably pick up folks from other cities along the way, no youth system is perfect in keeping all the talent it develops, coaches make mistakes just like anywhere else.

Part of what pays for this- while America "trades players" a lot, the rest of the world usually sells contracts. That allows teams to choose to remain solvent quicker (you have your big spenders, naturally, perhaps moreso than in America- and salary caps have been discussed and discarded). For that matter, as previously discussed here, NBDL teams and teams in other leagues DO sometimes get a little pocket changes for selling contracts overseas.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:58 pm

[quote=""DakotaWiz""]From what I know about SK Baseball, Herb Simon is a CO-owner of the Pacers. He's also a CO-owner of SK Baseball, along with two other people..[/quote]
Think about it, Simons owns a controlling interest in the Pacers, and the S in SK Baseball stands for Simons.Why do you think they paid 3 mil for a D-league team? I would not be surprised if Pacers to Vegas rumors don't start due to this purchase.

DakotaWiz
Site Admin

Post by DakotaWiz » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:02 pm

Because they already owned the baseball team in town. I don't think this amounts to them becoming controlled by the Pacers, at least not next season as you assume.

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:02 am

[quote=""bectond""]The NBA business model needs to be updated, players need to be vented prior to signing huge contracts. Losing 1 mil per year operating a minor league club could save the parent clubs 10's of mil annually after you factor in the savings clubs will receive based on developing prospects on the minor league pay scale. Players will receive better coaching which will lead to a better product once the NBA trained players hit the show. Once NBA teams are allowed to control the rosters, D-L team owners will be able to command big bucks for their teams.(Because D-League teams will be extended NBA rosters, a NBDL game will be an NBA game) By the way the Pacers own the minor league baseball team that brought the Reno Bighorns, therefore the Knicks and the Kings will have to find another farm team next year.[/quote]

I did not know that, do you know if they are for sure planning on making it a 1-1 with the pacers? Do you think that the Indianapolis - Las Vegas is a possibility, or do you think that the Pacers would move the Bighorns to a midwest city?

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:07 pm

[quote=""jjbballfan""]I did not know that, do you know if they are for sure planning on making it a 1-1 with the pacers? Do you think that the Indianapolis - Las Vegas is a possibility, or do you think that the Pacers would move the Bighorns to a midwest city?[/quote] One can never be 100% sure, but I believe the Knicks are getting their own franchise and the Kings will share Bakersfield with GS. I don't believe the Bighorns will move east. They are averaging 3500 per night. The only teams that I know of which are looking to relocate are Charlotte, Memphis, New Orleans and Sacramento.
Simons did say that he has lost 20 mil per year for the last 4-5 years so who knows.

DakotaWiz
Site Admin

Post by DakotaWiz » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:35 pm

The Knicks definitely aren't getting a team for next season.

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:08 am

The Knicks may use Springfield next year, the knicks may have an agreement with the Springfield group.

Return to “D-League”