2009-10 NBA Expansion

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
skippy
Site Admin

Post by skippy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:25 am

Here's my ENTIRE SIDE OF THE ARENA.

And by my, I mean all MINE.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DakotaWiz
Site Admin

Post by DakotaWiz » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:49 am

Haha, glad it got personal quick. Regardless, cow tipping isn't one of my hobbies, never even been on a farm.

In regards to where the old teams are, they failed, so the D-League changed. Barack's the president, change is good.

How many owners in minor league basketball make money? If an owner is in it to make money within the first three years, there's a problem.
Ridiculousupside.com -- A (Mostly) D-League Site

skippy
Site Admin

Post by skippy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:05 am

Not personal at all, I'm just discussing stuff. I respect your opinion. You've had a better experience with the Dakota Wizards than the people have had with the team here, I can respect that, and I'm happy for you. Had to get in the cow tipping dig, after I was accused of smoking stuff.

I take exception to a couple of your ideas, though I respect their right to exist. :)

Losing every franchise is good? Lying to the original 8 communites about providing other events was good? In this case, change was bad.

It's year four, btw, as you pointed out to me earlier, so if a return is to be realized it would be now. And with inactive franchises in Florida and Arkansas, I don't see much profit being made with the exception of selling the teams for a million back to the "big club", like Austin was and cutting your losses.

From what I am hearing now, the move will be to put these teams in larger metropolitan areas, closer to parent clubs, and not even worrying about marketing them. (See D-Fenders and 14'ers).
Last edited by skippy on Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:32 pm

If Skippy accepts that the NBA has been throwing things on the wall to see what sticks because there's no CURRENT proven model available (except maybe in Europe)...

...and if Bec understands that Skippy's conclusion is where we've been headed...

...then this isn't an argument and you guys are on the same page.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

DakotaWiz
Site Admin

Post by DakotaWiz » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:09 pm

Getting back on topic, Springfield, Massachusetts is the next D-League team. Details over on my site.

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:13 am

So the Harlem idea is on hold? What about the Raptors it's mid-march and still no release?
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

DakotaWiz
Site Admin

Post by DakotaWiz » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:41 am

Those will be the only two expansion teams. Harlem didn't work out this season, Knicks were going to buy it, but cite struggling economy.
Not sure on Toronto's situation, but nothing for next year.

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:22 pm

I don't know why the NBA does not allow NBA teams to control the rights to at least some of the players on D-league rosters. It does not make sense to expect a team to develop a player when any other team can sign that player at anytime. Instead of have 15 roster spots per NBA team the league should lower the opening day rosters down to 13 and After Jan 10 teams could expand their rosters to 15, if a team fails to promote a player on the 10th, then they could become a free agent(any team can sign them to a 10 day deal.). NBA teams would be able to save a lot of money garaging players in the D-league for 2 1/2 months. The owners should be looking at a development path to save resources. Instead of dropping the MLE as has been suggested. Currently, most NBA teams operate like the Yankees or Red Sox regardly of the market they play in. Point # 2, the future of the league is nba clubs buying existing teams, that is the only way to make money buying a D-league team, for the values to increase parent clubs will have to be able to control the rosters.
Last edited by bectond on Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:04 am

OK, Tulsa and Austin are owned by NBA clubs.... before that they were owned by SW Basketball LLC who ran the teams he ran as cheap as possible...

Albuquerque I believe is under new ownership, and hopefully will be able to work something out with the Suns or a Texas team.... And also hopefully moves to a different venue....

Sioux Falls is fine, so is Dakota..... Idaho is alright......

I think that there will be a few more NBA teams buying Dleague teams this offseason.... With Reno under new ownership (minor league baseball club) I wouldn't be surprised if the Kings got involved, however there is rumors of the Kings fleeing (maybe even going back to Kansas City, and could have a Dleague team in Omaha and then it could be the Kansas City and Omaha Kings.... just one would be a D-League team....

Hope that the league stays strong...

LandRoverUT60
Site Admin

Post by LandRoverUT60 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:44 am

Is Alberquerque (sp?) stable with their new ownership? What are the chances of Las Vegas or St. George, UT getting a team?

Return to “D-League”