restructuring scenario

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:32 pm

If the season is 8 weeks (7 teams and a travel only club)and 28 games (16 home games) then paying the top players 1250-750 per week won't brake the bank, the bench players should only get 375-175 per week. That is what Low-level indy baseball pays. Players would earn 10k-1400 pay year and 56K total. (The travel only team would pay each player 175 per week plus per diem)
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

DakotaWiz
Site Admin

Post by DakotaWiz » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:54 am

Really low league fees? Players with part time jobs? Sounds like a different league..
Ridiculousupside.com -- A (Mostly) D-League Site

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:13 am

[quote=""DakotaWiz""]Really low league fees? Players with part time jobs? Sounds like a different league..[/quote]

If the top 6 players make 5, 4 or 3K per month, and each team has 2 rookies making 1500 per month plus 2 local try-out players making 700 per month, I'm not sure if a day job would be needed.Indy league Baseball teams have this type of pay structure and minor league ball players don't have day jobs. Remember the season would only last 2 months (like the old USBL). Mid Jan - Mid March

minorleagfan09
Site Admin

Post by minorleagfan09 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:14 pm

[quote=""DakotaWiz""]Really low league fees? Players with part time jobs? Sounds like a different league..[/quote]

Exactly why the CBA should focus on limiting expenses and switch to it. They might actually exist then.

DakotaWiz
Site Admin

Post by DakotaWiz » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:28 pm

bectond, your ideas are good for salary. but minorleagfan09 suggested $50-$150 per game. I don't think that's realistic, at all, to still bring in talent anywhere close to what the CBA is used to, or even this past season.

minorleagfan09
Site Admin

Post by minorleagfan09 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:36 pm

you should get in touch with some of the PBL players and find out beyond the hype and what they are really making. Sure there are a few strong teams in the PBL but for the most part those teams aren't making money and they are paying players as low as $25 a game. Even ones with a contract for a lot more.

You've got to stop thinking of what the CBA was or what minor league basketball was. And start talking realistically about what it can be outside the NBDL.

As a pro baller your goal should be to get into the D-League or go internationally. If you can't do that you should use these other leagues for continued exposure. Forget the ABA... don't even bother with that. But if you can get a roster spot and Playing time on PBL or IBL roster go for it. But only use it for exposure. Get your game tape on google video and youtube and have your agent work to get you in the D league or overseas.

After you've played in these semi pro leagues for a couple of years and never gotten into the D-League or overseas you'll basically have your answer. If you want to make good money get a job outside of playing basketball.

In the mean time if you want to keep playing basketball for 50 or 150 bucks a game there are leagues out there for you. But they aren't raking in fans or sponsorships for the most part. So if you want to make some coin get a job around playing basketball. And the leagues should schedule practices on the evenings and games on the weekends so players can easily obtain employment.

DakotaWiz
Site Admin

For the record

Post by DakotaWiz » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:05 pm

I never said you were wrong, or even disagreed with you. I'm simply saying that for cities that are used to the CBA talent, a guy willing to play for that amount of money is not going to be as talented, for the most part. Great idea, but I don't think it'd work in the cities that are used to more talent.

minorleagfan09
Site Admin

Post by minorleagfan09 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:58 pm

[quote=""DakotaWiz""]I never said you were wrong, or even disagreed with you. I'm simply saying that for cities that are used to the CBA talent, a guy willing to play for that amount of money is not going to be as talented, for the most part. Great idea, but I don't think it'd work in the cities that are used to more talent.[/quote]

One thing I'd agree with is the talent won't be as deep. The teams aren't going to be pre Isiah Thomas good. But they can be 2004 good.

We already know the ABA is a rec league. The PBL is going to lose (and is losing) some teams due to their expenses, massive league fees,and the economy.

So if you aren't playing overseas and were cut by the NBDL where are you going to play? The PBL... sure thats an option but most of those teams really aren't paying anything either.

Or you could go to the CBA. Have a schedule built around a day job and make more money than the D-League players overall and stay in basketball.

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:01 am

Forget about the PBL, the next round of leagues should all be regional and either a veteran based Indy leagues or low-level(low pay) rookie leagues. The Veteran Leagues would be For guys rhat want a Brake from going overseas, were cut by the NBA or D-league, are rehabing or just have bad tudes. No vet worth his salt would play for 50 a game. The PBL gets away with it because very little talent is playing in that league. But it could work for a rookie league say in the Tri-state region, Southern Cal or the Chicago area where there is a large population for a number of small scale fan bases and travel cost would be extremely low.

panchess
Site Admin

Post by panchess » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:14 am

I agree on the regional approach. Even in the woebegone ABA, the Southern California cluster has survived, basically because they play with no real travel costs.

Return to “CBA”