restructuring scenario

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
Cazzzmo
Site Admin

restructuring scenario

Post by Cazzzmo » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:19 pm

Viable scenario?

I'd like to see the PBL take in the CBA clubs (the term ''merger'' doesn't really apply anymore). Albany and E. Kent. would play in one of the existing PBL divisions, while Minot would have to find help out west (Lawton doesn't fit well in this little plan.... they might be the one team that should/could go to the D-League).

Minot would serve as a western ''hub'' of sorts and would need to bring in 4+ teams to form a Western or Plains division....... Rapid City, Billings, Regina, Winnipeg are the best candidates. The Plains division teams would possibly make one little road trip out east, maybe two double-dippers, and otherwise play only the other Plains teams. One or two eastern teams could make a swing thru the Plains division at some juncture too. But basically this new division would be isolated - a league of its own until playoff time.

Speaking for Minot, I think a 15 or 16 game home schedule is about right and I
don't think they should start until after Jan. 1. I'm all for more reasonable coach's salaries and possibly abbreviated rosters..... 9? The smaller rosters might be a Plains division only stipulation, perhaps until the playoffs at which time the Plains champ could pick-up another player.

Maybe Yakama could come back as a core team for a similiar ''mostly isolated'' west coast division (Yakama, Vancouver.......).

Just throwing it out there for the heck of it................

OKCAVS67
Site Admin

Post by OKCAVS67 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:59 pm

Ya know, it wouldn't suprise me to see Albany and E. Kentucky move on over to the PBL.

As for Lawton-Ft. Sill, the owners of the team are very committed to keeping some sort of basketball team here in Lawton. The way these 4 owners are don't be shocked if they don't come out of the meeting this weekend owning part of the league and moving the headquarters of the league to Lawton.

I can see two divisions being created this weekend.
North and South. Minot being the anchor of the North and Lawton-Ft. Sill being the anchor of the South.
Get expansion teams from areas like, Arkansas, Kansas, Texas, Nebraska, South Dakota, Missouri and Iowa.

Again, all of this is just my thoughts.

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:06 pm

The Patroons are NOT going to the PBL...because they're on the ABA's jockstrap so much.

East Kentucky I wouldn't rule out...would make a good rival for Wilmington, Augusta, and a few potential 2010 arrivals.

Minot doesn't really fit in...Lawton-Fort Sill's business model would, but they need closer rivals to make it work.
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

CHris902
Site Admin

Post by CHris902 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:19 pm

[quote=""OKCAVS67""]Ya know, it wouldn't suprise me to see Albany and E. Kentucky move on over to the PBL.

As for Lawton-Ft. Sill, the owners of the team are very committed to keeping some sort of basketball team here in Lawton. The way these 4 owners are don't be shocked if they don't come out of the meeting this weekend owning part of the league and moving the headquarters of the league to Lawton.

I can see two divisions being created this weekend.
North and South. Minot being the anchor of the North and Lawton-Ft. Sill being the anchor of the South.
Get expansion teams from areas like, Arkansas, Kansas, Texas, Nebraska, South Dakota, Missouri and Iowa.

Again, all of this is just my thoughts.[/quote]

The Cavs should either make a play for the D-League or buy the CBA and try to run it as mid-West league with a footprint like the one you suggest with the PBL holding on to the Eastern US and Canada and the two league not trying to compete directly with each other.

OKCAVS67
Site Admin

Post by OKCAVS67 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:21 pm

How bout Albany anchor the East Division with the X coming back under new owners along with 3 new teams from the PA area.
Minot and Lawton anchor the West Division with 3 new teams from the Central states like Kansas - Dodge City Legends (USBL), Texas - Wichita Falls or Amarillo, South Dakota or Iowa.

Cazzzmo
Site Admin

Post by Cazzzmo » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:26 pm

I realize the Cavs owners are aggressive and are looking to takeover the CBA - I think you mentioned that in another post. That's fine. I have a lot of respect for those guys having met a couple of them during the finals last year. But I don't think there's much value left in the CBA brand, especially if based in OK. They might as well just start their own league..... and, yes, they've probably given that some thought. I really think the D-League is the Cavs best bet. I know it's expensive but there's just not many viable markets close enough to Lawton for CBA-type clubs. You mention all of those prairie states like Iowa and Nebraska but every community of 25,000+ is a ''college town''.... too much competition and the college ball down there is good. Whereas, up here on the ''hockey tundra'' there is such a difference between the NAIA ball being played and the CBA that fans will come out for the ''upgraded'' entertainment pro ball brings. There's only one viable market in S.D. and that's Rapid City, as I mentioned, and if a CBA-type league doesn't get there soon the D-League might just surprise us and put a team in there. Done right, with marketing and sales guidance from the league (which is a concept I'll get into in another post soon), Winnipeg and Regina are prime for pro hoops. Trust me on that. I guess, roundaboutly, I'm happy to take your word about the possiblities in your region...... and I just never imagined a ''Great Plains" -based CBA..... maybe that's what'll happen but I don't see why we wouldn't want to partner somehow with the PBL for an independent league title series.

OKCAVS67
Site Admin

Post by OKCAVS67 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:36 pm

Only problem with Lawton and the NBDL is that Tulsa has a team in the NBDL.
Maybe to close to have two teams and in the same state at that.

Lawton and Tulsa are about 4 hours apart so?

And Lawton doesn't have a premeire place for them to play in. The Great Plains Col. is suitable for the CAVS, but a new place would have to built for them to play if the NBDL.

wha happen'd?
Site Admin

Post by wha happen'd? » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:55 pm

As long as Linbo is involved, the only place you'll see the Skyrockets logo again is on the backs of kids pushing lawn thatchers. They're done.

http://www.kxmc.com/getForumPost.asp?ArticleId=327451

Precious Roy
Site Admin

Post by Precious Roy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:56 pm

Exactly right with the second point Cavs, but the real sticking point is and always be the money. It costs millions of dollars to enter the D-League, something that the owners of the Cavs just don't have. The last figure I head with over $2 million, just to enter. That's not counting paying players and staff and the other things.
You are exactly right about the lack of quality arena. The GPC is good for this incarnation of the Cavs, but if they jumped to the D-League, they would certainly need a different building, something that would be not only good for the team, but good for the city that could also house a hockey team and an arena football team.
As you can see, I've been an advocate for a new arena in Lawton for years, so I think that is the way to go.

CHris902
Site Admin

Post by CHris902 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:16 am

When Halifax were trying to get in last year it was reported that the franchise fee is $1m USD. I believe there's also a yearly franchise fee on top of that.

Return to “CBA”