Austin Tryouts

The Southern Indoor Football League (SIFL) forum
exit322
Site Admin

Post by exit322 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:47 am

Well, yeah, that's a good point. If the waiver just covers the tryout, that's standard operating procedure. Always good, too, to get legal help in creating those sorts of documents.
What are you doing here?

sportznut
Site Admin

Post by sportznut » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:30 am

[quote=""Caballo Diablo""]Is the waiver just for covering the Tryout?
Once they make the team and sign a contract to play will it be different?[/quote]

That is all that registration form was, a waiver for tryouts... Players have a SIFL contract to sign when they make a team.

Back when i helped run Rec basketball leagues, we had all participants sign a waiver, that was like this.
Changes.... they are a coming......

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:46 am

[quote=""Caballo Diablo""]No need to bash ...[/quote]
the Waiver wrote:The undersigned acknowledges that the Austin Turfcats and Turfcats Sports and Entertainment, LLC. does not offer Workman’s Compensation as this team does not hire employees to play indoor football. All coaches and players are independent contractors who perform a skill less than ten hours each week throughout the 2009 season and that this is a seasonal part time business for all coaches and players. No employment contracts are issued.
According to this, the team offers no contracts for either players or coaches period.
I'm not bashing for the sake of bashing. I have no financial or other interests in any league or team. I have seen games in four leagues now (five this spring). No one has been totally or vastly superior to any others (with the exception of the APFL, which is what it is).
I am for the protection of players. Players have been killed in indoor football. The proper insurance protects the player and it protects the team. I would think if a player was seriously injured under IC status, the team could be sued outright.
Providing certified trainers and medical personnel is only ethical and moral when asking players to risk their bodies for this sport.
If a league or team is not up to the task or protecting its players, then perhaps the prospective owners and executives should find something else to do.
A player contract protects both the team and the player. It secures the team the rights to that player for the time it is in effect (one season contracts are pretty much the norm in indoor football). Without a contract, a player could walk out and play for a different team (or in a different league) and the team would have no recourse. I don't even see how playing without a contract saves a team money, unless the team has no intention of paying the player. Under this no-contract stuff, a coach could walk out, take his playbook with him (remember as an IC, he would own it, not the team) and go join an opposing squad the week before the game.
The other leagues have their problems. I've seen 2 1/2 leagues go under, all justified. While it would have been nice if the Swashbucklers stayed in the IFL, I could understand it for geographical reasons. Most of these leagues have started out reasonably, but people have gotten delusions of grandeur, thinking they have to be coast to coast.
There are a lot of petty reasons for bashing in minor league sports, but the way a team or league proposes to treat its players, especially if that treatment is less than professional, then the bash it legit.
Yes, many amateur teams require a player carry insurance before being allowed to participate, but there is a difference between a rec league and a professional league.
If that makes me, as Spiro Agnew once said, "a nattering nabob of negativisim," so be it.
I'm a man and I can take not being the most popular cheerleader at the junior prom. If I cross the line on the boards, the moderators will slap my wrist and I'm man enough to take that punishment.
But I will say, the casual fan when reading in the daily news that player x was hurt at the game and was not taken care of because the team has no provision for it, will not support the team (unless they were looking for some sort of gladitorial games).

Here endeth the rant.
Last edited by nksports on Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:20 pm

[quote=""nksports""]According to this, the team offers no contracts for either players or coaches period.
I'm not bashing for the sake of bashing. I have no financial or other interests in any league or team. I have seen games in four leagues now (five this spring). No one has been totally or vastly superior to any others (with the exception of the APFL, which is what it is).
[/quote]
My quote you used saying "NO NEED TO BASH........" was taken out of context. It wasn't about the questioning of the contracts and waivers.
It was about all of the owner/front office staff using this forum as smackdown hate for other teams/leagues.

I came here from ArenaBall with the intention of becoming an IndoorBall supporter and try to learn a few things about this segment of the sport.
What I've learned is many people across the differing leagues seem to dislike each other stronger then the ARENA vs INDOOR debate.

It's been very discouraging to see so many scream I'm better than you and wanting to air dirty laundry against each other instead of promoting the sport in a positive manner.

Here's my entire post in context:
[quote=""Caballo Diablo""]The Indoor people love to accuse the Arena Fans of trashing the Indoor leagues. From what I've seen the Indoor people trash each other far more that the the Arena people ever have.

I have never in my life seen such unprofessional infighting between a group of businessmen. When you look around the empty barns you play in and wonder why, it might not be the games themselves the masses are avoiding but the unprofessional bush league actions of the people financing the sport.

It's really a good thing not many fans come here, this is embarrassing.
If all that effort was put in to promoting the sport in a positve light and worry about your own concerns the sport might get more respect.

No need to bash, it's more productive to raise the standards of your own teams and leagues instead of lowering yourself to the level of what you seem to complain about.[/quote]

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:02 pm

January 24, 2009
Tryouts Successful Despite Cold Day In Texas

Austin, TX – Over 50 players showed up at the Turfcats first open tryout at Hutto High School despite temperatures in the upper 30’s and wind chills in the 20’s and winds above 30 miles per hour were howling at the start of the event.

Turfcats Head Coach Chris Duliban and his coaching staff ran the players through several different drills and one on one situation in front of several fans and media outlets.

Turfcats General Manager/Vice-President Ronald Oswalt said, “The players in attendance today were true warriors of the gridiron, the wind along with the cold temperatures made the tryouts rough on these guys but it shows to me that they really came to play for a spot on the Turfcats.”

The format of the event consisted of a variety of physical tests, including the 40 yard dash, 20 yard shuttle and the standing long jump. Participants were timed and measured in all of these events.

Several players showed promise as players from Middle Tennessee State to Texas Tech and several other football programs were in attendance.

If you have any questions, please contact the Austin Turfcats General Manager Ronald Oswalt at roswalt@turfcats.com.

Great locations are still available for the 2009 season! Act now to reserve the best seats. Call a Season Sales Representative today at 866-969-8228 (TCAT) to reserve your seats today. The Austin Turfcats are committed to being a premier team in the Southern Indoor Football League and being involved in the community for which we serve.

For more information or get photos for media outlets or to get your 2008 Austin Turfcats season tickets, contact the Turfcats office at (866) 969-8228 (TCAT) or by electronic mail at roswalt@turfcats.com

Return to “SIFL”