Austin Tryouts

The Southern Indoor Football League (SIFL) forum
MR34
Site Admin

Austin Tryouts

Post by MR34 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:31 pm

Hi does anyone know when the Turfcarts will be hosting thier player tryouts?

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:28 pm

I don't want to comment on items that haven't been publically released yet.

Vice President/General manager
866-969-8228
turfcats@gmail.com

Thanks for your interest.

ronaldoswalt
Site Admin

Tryouts

Post by ronaldoswalt » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:36 pm

This info will be released soon, we expect a great turnout by responses. Look at turfcats.com and it should be up soon.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:55 pm

Austin Turfcats Tryouts Planned For Hutto

January 15, 2009
Media contact: J. Ronald Oswalt 866-969-8228 (TCAT)
turfcats@gmail.com

Austin – In a continuing effort to add talent and strive for an SIFL championship, the Austin Turfcats of the Southern Indoor Football League have scheduled a free agent tryout camp on Saturday, January 24, 2009. The tryout camp will be held at Hutto High School in Hutto, Texas. The camp will be under the direction of Turfcats Head Coach Chris Duliban and his coaching staff.

The format will consist of a variety of physical tests, including the 40 yard dash, 20 yard shuttle and the standing long jump. Participants will be timed and measured in all of these events. After an evaluation of each participant’s times and scores, the group will be reduced to a number of individuals who will be asked to participate in select physical drills. Another evaluation will leave the remaining to participate in skill drills which are related to Indoor Football. There will not be any contact drills.

The cost of the camp is $50 cash per individual. Registration will begin promptly at 9:00 am until 10:00 am. A thirty minute period of supervised warm-up drills will follow. Testing will begin at 10:30 am.

The camp is open to anyone who has completed their college eligibility and is physically able to perform the drills. A waiver and release form will be signed by all participants stating that they are physically able to participate and not hold the Austin Turfcats liable for any injury suffered during the camp.

Participants need to provide their own workout attire. Shorts and t-shirts along with turf or tennis shoes are recommended for the camps. Rubber molded football cleats no longer than one half inch will be permitted for tryouts. Metal football cleats are absolutely forbidden and you will not be allowed to participate.

Participation in the free-agent camp is not an offer of employment but merely an evaluation. The Austin Turfcats are not responsible for travel or lodging expenses. Food will not be provided.

If you have any questions, please contact the Austin Turfcats General Manager Ronald Oswalt at roswalt@turfcats.com.
Last edited by Caballo Diablo on Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:08 pm

REMINDER

The Austin Turfcats will be holding open tryouts in Hutto, Texas on Saturday -- Several players from ut and texas state will be in attendance great story and photo opportunity.

For those of you not familiar with the area;
Starting at I-35 and Hwy 79 in Round Rock

Exit from I-35 at Hwy 79, this is the next exit North of FM 620 and South of FM 3406.
Go East on Hwy 79, as you pass Toll Road 130 Hutto High School will be on your right at the corner of Hwy 79 and FM 685.

Attention all future Austin Turfcats -- Please have both of these forms completed prior to your tryouts

- Forms can be downloaded here for Tryout Waiver and Tryout Bio -
http://turfcats.com/fan-zone/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Austin Turfcats Tryouts Planned For Hutto
January 15, 2009
Media contact: J. Ronald Oswalt 866-969-8228 (TCAT)
turfcats@gmail.com

Austin – In a continuing effort to add talent and strive for an SIFL championship, the Austin Turfcats of the Southern Indoor Football League have scheduled a free agent tryout camp on Saturday, January 24, 2009. The tryout camp will be held at Hutto High School in Hutto, Texas. The camp will be under the direction of Turfcats Head Coach Chris Duliban and his coaching staff.

The format will consist of a variety of physical tests, including the 40 yard dash, 20 yard shuttle and the standing long jump. Participants will be timed and measured in all of these events. After an evaluation of each participant’s times and scores, the group will be reduced to a number of individuals who will be asked to participate in select physical drills. Another evaluation will leave the remaining to participate in skill drills which are related to Indoor Football. There will not be any contact drills.

The cost of the camp is $50 cash per individual. Registration will begin promptly at 9:00 am until 10:00 am. A thirty minute period of supervised warm-up drills will follow. Testing will begin at 10:30 am.

The camp is open to anyone who has completed their college eligibility and is physically able to perform the drills. A waiver and release form will be signed by all participants stating that they are physically able to participate and not hold the Austin Turfcats liable for any injury suffered during the camp.

Participants need to provide their own workout attire. Shorts and t-shirts along with turf or tennis shoes are recommended for the camps. Rubber molded football cleats no longer than one half inch will be permitted for tryouts. Metal football cleats are absolutely forbidden and you will not be allowed to participate. Participation in the free-agent camp is not an offer of employment but merely an evaluation. The Austin Turfcats are not responsible for travel or lodging expenses. Food will not be provided.

If you have any questions, please contact the Austin Turfcats General Manager Ronald Oswalt at roswalt@turfcats.com.

Great locations are still available for the 2009 season! Act now to reserve the best seats. Call a Season Sales Representative today at 866-969-8228 (TCAT) to reserve your seats today. The Austin Turfcats are committed to being a premier team in the Southern Indoor Football League and being involved in the community for which we serve.

For more information or get photos for media outlets or to get your 2008 Austin Turfcats season tickets, contact the Turfcats office at (866) 969-8228 (TCAT) or by electronic mail at roswalt@turfcats.com

sportznut
Site Admin

Post by sportznut » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:05 pm

looking forward to this,Indoor Football season is getting closer
Changes.... they are a coming......

nksports
Site Admin

Red flags

Post by nksports » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:40 am

Registration form wrote:The undersigned acknowledges that the Austin Turfcats and Turfcats Sports and Entertainment, LLC. does not offer Workman’s Compensation as this team does not hire employees to play indoor football. All coaches and players are independent contractors who perform a skill less than ten hours each week throughout the 2009 season and that this is a seasonal part time business for all coaches and players. No employment contracts are issued.
The first point is what landed the EIFL in hot water (although in this team's defense, the EIFL did promise insurance).

I don't know about specific laws in Texas above and beyond the state and federal laws I'm used to, but to claim independent contractor status, the said player would likely have to provide his own uniform, provide his own equipment i.e. balls., etc.
IRS wrote:The general rule is that an individual is an independent contractor if you, the person for whom the services are performed, have the right to control or direct only the result of the work and not the means and methods of accomplishing the result.
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/art ... 21,00.html

The final point means a player could leave for another team in the league or another league without any penalty to the player or the other team signing him.

I would hope the team would at least offer catastrophic injury insurance as well as medical treatment for injured players, otherwise a player could get really messed up. Again, see EIFL.

NatePreds05
Site Admin

Post by NatePreds05 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:24 pm

[quote=""nksports""]The first point is what landed the EIFL in hot water (although in this team's defense, the EIFL did promise insurance).

I don't know about specific laws in Texas above and beyond the state and federal laws I'm used to, but to claim independent contractor status, the said player would likely have to provide his own uniform, provide his own equipment i.e. balls., etc.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/art ... 21,00.html

The final point means a player could leave for another team in the league or another league without any penalty to the player or the other team signing him.

I would hope the team would at least offer catastrophic injury insurance as well as medical treatment for injured players, otherwise a player could get really messed up. Again, see EIFL.[/quote]

This is low for the SIFL if they are not going to issue contracts or give their players insurance. That is stooping to NIFL and EIFL status for sure. I hope all players for SIFL teams understand they will not be insured or under any contract.

If they are not on any contract, how is there any guarantee of getting paid?

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:15 am

One more thing that came to mind about independent contractor status; does the team provide away-game transportation?

I hope these things (insurance requirements and such) aren't why the Swashbucklers left the IFL. That would be reaching into their NIFL roots.

phydeaux72
Site Admin

Post by phydeaux72 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:24 am

[quote=""nksports""]One more thing that came to mind about independent contractor status; does the team provide away-game transportation?

I hope these things (insurance requirements and such) aren't why the Swashbucklers left the IFL. That would be reaching into their NIFL roots.[/quote]

I'm glad that some people are FINALLY catching on!

Return to “SIFL”