Site Admin

Last night's Patroons game

Post by formerlyknownasfells » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:58 pm

"Of all of the things I have lost, I think I miss my mind the most."

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Patroons still in need of a public relations department

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:23 pm

Before the game, Coyne accepted a check from the Sports Foundation and told the crowd he believes the Patroons to be the best basketball team in Albany. He also said that once the team establishes itself as a winner, fans "won't be able to buy a ticket.''
Geez! This guy is terrible at public relations and never should have said best team in Albany. That's not saying much. Jim Coyne should set his sights higher. He should have said the Patroons are the best team in New York not in the NBA. Period. How hard can it be to say that???

Patroons1
Site Admin

Post by Patroons1 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:13 am

Ken, if you lived in Albany you would know that his "competition" is Siena and UAlbany, not PBL in Rochester and Buffalo or even ABA in NYC....To say best team in NY, other than NBA... would beg the question "what other team is there?"

Patroons1
Site Admin

Post by Patroons1 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:50 am

And just in case, just in any case, just in some small remote case, you care to read about the what actually happened in the game, try this article. Anyone notice a difference in style from the first post TU article? LOL

http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2008 ... 208876.txt

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:40 am

[quote=""Patroons1""]Ken, if you lived in Albany you would know that his "competition" is Siena and UAlbany, not PBL in Rochester and Buffalo or even ABA in NYC....To say best team in NY, other than NBA... would beg the question "what other team is there?"[/quote]

OK, so a professional team is the "best team in Albany" over a couple college teams.

Sort of a "tallest midget" comparison, no?

Why haven't the crowds already approached the 2000 fans per game that we keep reading about? The Pats seem to get pretty extensive coverage (and let's be honest, we aren't talking about a metropolitan area with an overabundance of competition) and have a long history. Just seems like either the fans don't want to see these ABA/CBA cross-over "games" or the market may not be a strong as it once was...

Too bad if it is indeed on a down-turn; I know that when my former owner spent some time playing for Albany, he seemed to really enjoy the team and the situation there.

I hope it does pick up, but minor league basketball these days has become a lot more miss than hit...
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:53 pm

[quote=""Patroons1""]And just in case, just in any case, just in some small remote case, you care to read about the what actually happened in the game, try this article. Anyone notice a difference in style from the first post TU article? LOL

http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2008 ... 208876.txt[/quote]

It's all the Times-Union's fault!

Patroons1
Site Admin

Post by Patroons1 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:47 pm

President Reeths, (PREETHS) Are you unable to objectively see the difference in the two articles or in your OPINION, are there no differences? I bet you dont answer the question.

I merely pointed out difference in the two "styles", surely as an editor/journalist, you could appreciate that I think. Perhaps your specialty is the editorial where opinion matters, I prefer news where facts matter. OH well, to each his own.

I can appreciate the excitement that you must have felt when the TU EDITORIALs used YOUR input and gave recognition to none other than President Reeths (we here know you as blog administrator) and OSC! What a legitimizing break through! Even some of the PBL bloggers weighed in to share your opinion. How exciting for a journalist and business man on the cutting edge of internet sports news. Pick up any new readers?

I joined this thing for constructive discussion and to share points about basketball.

Mr President (aka blog admin), Remove my access to this blog. I dont have time for your witch hunt and did not sign up for your soap box .

Are there problems, yes? Is minor league basketball in trouble? Yes. We've all said that 10000000000000 times. IS the CBA still the best talented league other than NBDL? Yes. Are the Patroons the most affordable season ticket, regardless of ABA, CBA or PBL? Yes. Is it a tough economy for all leagues and teams? Yes? Are people working very hard to fix it, yes. HAs the ABA showed up for all games so far and sent some of the better teams to play CBA teams, YES. Have the games been entertaining? Yes FACTS, Mr President, FACTS.

To the CBA fans, good luck, we will survive despite the OPINION to the contrary and if we don't , oh well, OSC will all pretend to be so sad and tell how bad it is for basketball and how they wished it succeeded when in reality, between the lines will be a "ding dong, the witch is dead" party.

Bye

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:16 pm

[quote=""Patroons1""]
Mr President (aka blog admin), Remove my access to this blog. I dont have time for your witch hunt and did not sign up for your soap box . [/quote]

But it's OK for everyone else to watch you perform on your own personal soapbox, diminishing anything not affiliated with the Patroons?

"Remove my access to this blog" - really? Why? You like to grandstand, don't you? Feel free to go on your way and remove OSC from your favorites.
Bye
One can only hope...
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:31 pm

[quote=""Patroons1""]
I joined this thing for constructive discussion and to share points about basketball.

Mr President (aka blog admin), Remove my access to this blog. I dont have time for your witch hunt and did not sign up for your soap box .
[/quote]

Hmmmmmm. What's all this remove my this and remove my that from this site and this will be my last post stuff?!? Drama. I'm STILL waiting on certain posters' announced last post. LOL.

Maybe you should adopt MY approach to posting (commonly know as the Kenneth Method). It's far less frustrating. Here it is: Hammer home your opinion until it is etched into everyone's memory, then allow the truth to present itself in the future. The truth never fails to shine through. Remember when you (Patroons1) said those former Montana Apex teams stayed in business because the new owners had deep pockets? Remember when I said, no they're broke and still in business because they're stealing services whenever they can get away with it? Well, it didn't take long for the truth to surface. They were stiffing people left and right.

If winning will bring crowds of 2000 to the Armory, as Coach Rowlands suggests, then the truth will soon surface. If the Times-Union is on a witch-hunt, then that truth will soon surface too. More on that in another post...

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:51 pm

Patroons1 will be back(imo). I'm sure it gets frustrating to see fewer fans there. Turnouts have gone down since the openers and that gets frustrating.
I've always liked the CBA and it's harder for me to see what it's become, especially without my team in it. It's good to see the games being played, but I would not put my hopes into more coming out, while I hate to say it.
It could happen, but don't count on it(amo)..

Return to “CBA”