Patroons win again vs. NJ Express

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
Patroons1
Site Admin

Patroons win again vs. NJ Express

Post by Patroons1 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:36 am

Another good game, Patroons did not play their best but enough to beat NJ by less than 10. Best crowd of season and now that schedule is firmed back up, the trend should continue.

The games really have been exciting and far above the expectations set by Nostrajoker and other witch hunters, conspicuously absent as of late.

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:36 am

I'm glad that the Patroons are now 2-0, while I'm curious what the score was. Also, no turnout figures? I remember when everyone got on me because the Xplosion never released their numbers.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:50 pm

Best crowd of season? Both online papers with articles had estimates of 400 people. Even Coyne now sounds less than enthusiastic about this charade. You do know you're crowing about teams showing up and having uniforms, right? The CBA has fallen very far, very fast. Congrats on the narrow wins against teams with a fraction of the payroll Albany has.

Bretlee
Site Admin

Post by Bretlee » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:08 pm

Yeah, I bet there were around 400 people. The basketball was pretty good, and you can't beat a beer and a hot dog for 2 bucks. The only real problem was the referees were subpar. They had no idea how to keep the game flowing and stopped the action with way too many unneeded fouls. Otherwise it was a really good time.

heatht
Site Admin

Post by heatht » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:10 pm

Funny how the reporter from Jersey calls the Patroons a "semi-pro team"...lol:

I bet one Albany player's weekly salary is paid more than the entire Jersey Express pay for one game ($50 per player x 12 players = $600).

http://www.nj.com/morristown/jasonlockh ... or_je.html

Big interleague re-match for Jersey Express
by Jason Lockhart
Thursday December 18, 2008, 10:21 PM
Jason Lockhart Express players go up for the rebound in the Dec. 13th matchup against the Hope Trailblazers.

It's the home game the Jersey Express has been waiting for since training camp.

On Saturday night, the fourth-year American Basketball Association franchise will square off at Drew University against a semi-pro team from the rival Continental Basketball Association for the first time at home.

The Albany Patroons already beat the Express 104-97 in Albany, N.Y., on Thursday.

Jersey Express president and co-owner Marsha Blount is hoping her promotional efforts will pay off with a big crowd for Saturday's 7 p.m. tip-off.

"This is exactly what Major League Baseball does with their inter-league play," Blount said. "This is truly an inter-league game and history in the making for us. We think a game like this will draw more people to come out and support us. "

Express forward Frank Corbett is eager to show fans how good the Express can be.

"I think it's a great challenge," Corbett said. "We're well prepared. A victory against this team will make the [ABA] league respect us."

Other Express players said they must take care of all the little things--running the zones, controlling the ball, and making free throws.

"Everybody feels confident about the [upcoming] game," said Duquan Everett, Express forward. "You have to be confident or else you shouldn't be playing at all."

Reynolds told his players during Wednesday night's practice that CBA teams are going to have good talent, and good size.

"We just have to be tough mentally," Reynolds said. "It's an area we have to get better in."

"Any basketball fan that knows the CBA knows about the quality of players," Blount said. "People want quality basketball."

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:16 pm

Largest crowd? You had 332 more at your opener.

Bretlee
Site Admin

Post by Bretlee » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:31 pm

I'm not sure what the listed attendances for these games were, but there were definitely more people last night than on opening night.

misenern
Site Admin

Post by misenern » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:34 pm

So that 1,000 season tickets thing was just hot air?

I thought the Patroons would have trounced the Express.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:37 pm

[quote=""preeths""]Best crowd of season? Both online papers with articles had estimates of 400 people. Even Coyne now sounds less than enthusiastic about this charade. You do know you're crowing about teams showing up and having uniforms, right? The CBA has fallen very far, very fast. Congrats on the narrow wins against teams with a fraction of the payroll Albany has.[/quote]

I agree that Jim Coyne sounds less than enthusiastic about the season, as I stated in another thread (his Patroons best team in Albany comment). He often seems to wear his feelings on his collar for everyone to see.

[quote=""misenern""]So that 1,000 season tickets thing was just hot air?

I thought the Patroons would have trounced the Express.[/quote]

I don't doubt the Patroons sold at least 1000 season tickets. However, I'll bet you dollars to donuts that most of those season tickets were part of sponsorship packages. That's the way the business works.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:45 pm

[quote=""Ken, Steelheads fan""]I don't doubt the Patroons sold at least 1000 season tickets. However, I'll bet you dollars to donuts that most of those season tickets were part of sponsorship packages. That's the way the business works.[/quote]

And many of the rest came at a discount after the team launched its Save the Patroons campaign.

Return to “CBA”