ABA Owners & NBA to oust ABA CEO

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
cglue
Site Admin

Still 100%

Post by cglue » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:24 am

[quote=""The Magician""] :p Actually 99% ... Jersey vs. Alexandria Avengers , an official regular season scheduled game vs. a non-ABA team, doesn't count.

Westchester didn't show ...[/quote]

The game still was played and please dont think Im ok with it, but again the game still was played and you cant take that away.
"This Time It's Personal"
http://www.houstontakers.com

CHris902
Site Admin

Post by CHris902 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:49 am

[quote=""cglue""]The game still was played and please dont think Im ok with it, but again the game still was played and you cant take that away.[/quote]

But that wasn't the originally scheduled game, was it?

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:24 am

[quote=""The Magician""]Firing Away at the ABA
http://articles.latimes.com/2006/jul/26/sports/sp-aba26

Hmm ... Only 125K to obtain and retain the ABA license?[/quote]

That's only 12.5 market reservation fees.

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:29 am

[quote=""cglue""]The game still was played and please dont think Im ok with it, but again the game still was played and you cant take that away.[/quote]

Larry-
Yes, you can take that away.

The integrity of the schedule is imperative to the credibility of any league. The fact that "a" game was played, rather than the game that was advertised, is not good enough. Not only did the announced team (according to the league, as well as in an article in the newspaper) not show up, but they were replaced by a team that:
a-isn't even in the ABA (as of today)
b-came from over 200 miles away, which implies this was planned in advance, and not a last minute switch

Which again raises the annual questions as to why teams that aren't prepared to play are listed as active (even with this disappearance, Westchester is still 'scheduled' to be in Jersey later this month).

If it only matters that a game was played, then why announce and advertise an opponent? Otherwise, you are forced to do as Jersey is doing now, advertise an upcoming game, but not list who they are playing:

http://www.jerseyexpress.net/
~ JERSEY EXPRESS ~ ~

Saturday, November 29th
7:00 PM
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

cglue
Site Admin

You should know me by now

Post by cglue » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:17 am

[quote=""ABARedWhiteBlue""]Larry-
Yes, you can take that away.

The integrity of the schedule is imperative to the credibility of any league. The fact that "a" game was played, rather than the game that was advertised, is not good enough. Not only did the announced team (according to the league, as well as in an article in the newspaper) not show up, but they were replaced by a team that:
a-isn't even in the ABA (as of today)
b-came from over 200 miles away, which implies this was planned in advance, and not a last minute switch

Which again raises the annual questions as to why teams that aren't prepared to play are listed as active (even with this disappearance, Westchester is still 'scheduled' to be in Jersey later this month).

If it only matters that a game was played, then why announce and advertise an opponent? Otherwise, you are forced to do as Jersey is doing now, advertise an upcoming game, but not list who they are playing:

http://www.jerseyexpress.net/[/quote]

I stated that Im not pleased with it but they did give fans a game. We made it perfectly clear to make all of our games, no excuses. So im interested to hear the reason why and so we will report what will happen and our decision. You know I will be fair and honest to find out wusup.

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:18 pm

Considering that the PBL filled a few Wilmington dates similarly, I, at least, will give the ABA credit for that.

turbocamyes
Site Admin

Post by turbocamyes » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:29 pm

Well, LightningMan stole some of my thunder, but:

While I don’t want to take away from ABARWB’s point that the league should play all of its scheduled games, I’m not sure how it can possibly damage its rep further. But here are a couple of questions:

a) How was Alexandria filling in any different than the PBL Travelers, who, by the way, were quite possibly a pick up team given that at least 5 players had ties to the Carolinas?

b) Why not admit Alexandria into the league? They are an established team apparently willing to play anywhere. And they were certainly more reliable last season than the WV Wild.

Last year, the ABA played 27.5% of their original schedule, taking into account all cancellations, forfeits and rescheduled games. Here’s a list of the leagues last year:

LGE
D-Lg 98.88%
EBA 89.74%
CBA 89.20%
IBL 85.51%
PBL 75.23%
NPBL 66.67%
ABA 27.52%

This year the ABA has played 60%, based on the “Official” schedule on the league site:

Game 1) both teams & the league listed NAS @ KNX
Game 2) both teams originally listed WS @ NAS, the league listed KNX @ NAS
Game 3) Jersey first listed NY, then WEST, as did the league; ALEX played
Game 4) both teams & the league listed WS @ KNX
Game 5) both teams & the league listed WS @ KNX

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:07 pm

[quote=""turbocamyes""]...the PBL Travelers, who, by the way, were quite possibly a pick up team given that at least 5 players had ties to the Carolinas...[/quote]
It was revealed that the Travelers were a team that plays as high school or college teams for the film industry down here. Apparently on the show One Tree Hill (which is filmed here but I don't watch), they have basketball games as backdrop.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:36 pm

I have it at 80 percent right now, with four out of five games played as scheduled. A high percentage early on was to be expected with so many early games by Nashville, Knoxville and Winston-Salem, all of which appear to be among the league's stronger teams. That will continue this weekend.

What's more telling is that the only game not to involve any of those three, Westchester at Jersey, did not go off as planned. The Express had to schedule a non-league opponent.

Larry, any word on when the league schedule will be finished? League play started 11 days ago, and we still have not seen a complete ABA schedule.

cglue
Site Admin

Not concerned

Post by cglue » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:01 pm

[quote=""preeths""]I have it at 80 percent right now, with four out of five games played as scheduled. A high percentage early on was to be expected with so many early games by Nashville, Knoxville and Winston-Salem, all of which appear to be among the league's stronger teams. That will continue this weekend.

What's more telling is that the only game not to involve any of those three, Westchester at Jersey, did not go off as planned. The Express had to schedule a non-league opponent.

Larry, any word on when the league schedule will be finished? League play started 11 days ago, and we still have not seen a complete ABA schedule.[/quote]

The fact that 11 days has passed and no schedule, right now thats cool with me considering the enormous hurddle that we had to jump. And after all that we are still playing our games. Schedules have been submitted and will be out soon. Was waiting on our annual talk paul but havent heard from in a while bro. And dont give me that Ive been busy line either, hell I have too. LOL

No but for real, we will have the schedule out soon and then see what will unfold this season.

Return to “ABA”