Improvements are needed!

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
psbf
Site Admin

Improvements are needed!

Post by psbf » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:03 am

Obviously, the days of yesteryear are long gone with the league down to just 5 teams now. I'm sure that everyone feels the same about the way this league office is being run. This leads me to say, the heck with any promises that the league may have made to the remaining teams, let them all join the PBL next season and form newer and better rivalries, with so many having joined.
East Kentucky, Lawton-Ft. Sill and Minot have shown great fan support and Albany seems to be returning to that as well. I feel that once a new owner is found here(Pgh) with the propper promoting, support can be as good as everyone else, if we go back to what the original Xplosion team did.
Although tickets are still unavailable yet, I'll be handing out promotional material to everyone I come in contact with, hoping to find new investors for the X. It remains to be seen how hard the league(if the do have control over the X now) is looking for a new owner. But it is clear(imo) a switch to the newer league is a must for a brighter future! Who really believes that expansion will happen in this league?

Patroons1
Site Admin

Post by Patroons1 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:56 am

PSBF, you're pushing the panic button! Com'on pal! If I didn't know better, I'd think Nostra-joker (aka A1sports) had a gun to your head as you typed that! :confused:

a1sports
Site Admin

Post by a1sports » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:18 am

whats the difference between a league with 46 teams and a league with 5 teams?

None.

Both are joke in this economy.

Same can be said with d-league bleeding money and the PBL hanging by a thread.

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:22 am

Maybe you're right, Patroons1. I don't want to stoop to steak sauce' level.
It's just frustrating being the only team in the league with no news to announce and not knowing what is going on :eek:

OKCAVS67
Site Admin

Post by OKCAVS67 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:27 am

[quote=""a1sports""]whats the difference between a league with 46 teams and a league with 5 teams?

None.

Both are joke in this economy.

Same can be said with d-league bleeding money and the PBL hanging by a thread.[/quote]

Acutally, the difference between the two is the fact that you will be able to know each of the 5 teams players where the league with 46 teams you might only know a hand full of the players.

Personally, I would rather have the League with 5 teams than a league with 46 teams.

So what if the CBA is taking a hit this year with only 5 teams. It still sends a message to everyone that they are down but not out.

I still think that there will be about 2-3 team expansion next year.
One of the owners of the Calvs has suggested that new teams that come to the league be placed on one year probation so they can understand what it takes to run a team in the league. This will help not only the expansion team owners get a better understanding of how the CBA is, but allow the league to ensure that the expansion owners are able to handle a team.

FrontOffice
Site Admin

Post by FrontOffice » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:49 pm

First off, people are taking rumors and assumptions as facts.

It has never been confirmed that Pittsburgh transferred ownership, is trying to sell the team or that the league is running the team. All of that is conjecture, random snippets of pieced together conversations on message boards that definitely don't add up to the full picture. So before everyone jumps off the deep end, let's take a breathe.

If Pittsburgh has decided that they'll lose money no matter what this year, and they're better off not having a staff, not marketing and just riding the season out, then that's their right to make that decision. Do I think that's in the best interest for their team, the league and the fans? Absolutely not. But what can you do. Mind you, I'm not saying this is the case but if it were, who are we to say that Owners can't run their team as they like.

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:05 pm

There is no truth to the rumor that Pittsburgh has changed ownership. Front Office, you are right on the money -- it may not be pretty, but the Xplosion will likely "ride the season out."

The 2008-09 season is probably going to be one of the leanest seasons ever not only for the CBA, but for sports leagues in general. If you think the economy is bad now give it a few more months -- we still have not hit rock bottom yet. Its going to be survival of the fittest.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:35 pm

Someone still has to show me that tickets are being sold in Pittsburgh. That has to be proved. That's a red flag.

If you will allow me my guesses: either the league is hunting for a high school or small facility to play in, or is making plans for the Xplosion to play as a road-only team. If there were an owner, they'd have an active presence... and probably would have found psbf by now.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:20 pm

The only new information that I have is that Freddy Lewis(listed as the majority owner and G.M.) would be the coach, which does not really sit well with me, considering how he has handled the team to this point. Another rumor has it that the league now has control. But tix are still unavailable, I'm sorry to say.

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:46 pm

There is no other option but to make sure Pitt. finishes this season. The sad thing is with no tickets being sold, no visible owner or staff on the scene to answer ANY of the fans (even if it is the loyal PSBF asking most of the questions), no coach, no PR or player signing announcements, etc...this team will be a deep money pit.

The problem is someone else, and maybe even the collective bunch of the financially equipped teams in the CBA will likely combine together with the CBA management and foot the bill. Then you have to ask...what kind of players will play for Pitt. With no money, how can you entice any quality players to the team?

I've been around teams with financial struggles, and the reality is...when these types of signs begin to surface, it is bad news, and oftentimes does not end well. Sure, Pitt. can run the team however they want, but the rest of the teams and the CBA Front Office need to ask themselves how they are going to handle 1 of the 5 teams putting forth a 3rd or 4th rate effort to compete this year. I agree that it MIGHT be better to play than to go with 4 teams now, but look at all the bad press Atlanta, Great Falls, and Utah received for this type of effort, and look how it ended. Heck, Butte even succumbed to having a player/coach to cut budget and finish the season, and even that, to many people, looked really unprofessional!

Oh, and here's a little info about that player/coach - Odell Bradley...his difficult situation turned out so bad that he's actually opted to play in the ABA this season instead of the CBA, and he is a very solid player.

http://www.nashvillebroncs.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=53

I'll say it again...minor league basketball would have been better off overall if the merger happened...for BOTH parties! I understand the legality and the difficulties...I get that! I know it's not easy to just throw two leagues together, but it probably should have happened. We'll see how it all ends after the season finishes (whether that be in March or possibly earlier. With this economy, you just don't know...anything is possible).
Last edited by zeke41 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.thecrossoverbasketball.com
http://www.flighthoops.com
http://www.iamsecond.com

"What do your daily actions say about the pursuit of your dreams?"

"Our Dreams are the roadmap that God uses to get us to where He intends for us to be!"

"When I stand before God at the end of my life
I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

"Delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."
--- Psalm 37:4

Return to “CBA”