Same ole 8 teams has become boring

The Canadian Football League (CFL) forum
Apex
Site Admin

Same ole 8 teams has become boring

Post by Apex » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:32 am

Time for some controlled expansion. 4 new teams would help break the monotony.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:40 pm

But where would you go with four new teams? The current markets are sometimes hard-pressed to support their teams, and I don't think the CFL is looking at the US again.

mikeyratt
Site Admin

Post by mikeyratt » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:47 pm

[quote=""preeths""]But where would you go with four new teams? The current markets are sometimes hard-pressed to support their teams, and I don't think the CFL is looking at the US again.[/quote]

Halifax, Quebec City, Pukatawagan and Sioux Lookout

indy legend
Site Admin

CFL US expansion

Post by indy legend » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:59 pm

There are some smaller markets in the US with smaller stadiums that I think would be a possibility for the CFL to look at. 1.Portland ,OR (PGE Park-20,000) 2. Columbus, OH (Crew Stadium- 22,500) 3. Louisville,KY (Old Cardinal Stadium-30,000) 4. Canton, OH (Fawcett Stadium- 23,000)5.Tulsa,OK (dont remember stadium name but I believe it hols around 40,000) 6.Richmond,VA (U .of Richmond Stadium 22,000) I'm sure there are others but those are just off the top of my head. I'm interested in what others think of these 6 cities for US expansion and any other cities that might be viable.These are all areas were football is big,but will never get NFL football and as far as these other leagues (AAFL, UFL, USFL) I'll believe it when I see it.

Geoff
Site Admin

Post by Geoff » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:48 pm

I highly doubt U. of Richmond would let their stadium be used for Canadian football. Imagine how confusing that would be with the field numbers for both American and Canadian football.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:56 pm

U of Richmond is tearing down their stadium and moving ON campus.

Stay the bleep out of MLS (and future MLS) parks. Besides, I doubt a one of them can handle the expanded endzones.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:49 pm

[quote=""Apex""]Time for some controlled expansion. 4 new teams would help break the monotony.[/quote]

You're assuming the CFL has a future.

I could see Toronto and Vancouver in the NFL some day. Probably before we see Ottawa back in the CFL. :)

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:49 am

[quote=""robster2001""]You're assuming the CFL has a future.

I could see Toronto and Vancouver in the NFL some day. Probably before we see Ottawa back in the CFL. :) [/quote]

The CFL will be around for a long time. Toronto may leave, but in Western Canada the CFL is THE football league. Yes people follow the NFL, but here the CFL is king.

As far as expansion goes, the only city with a stadium close to CFL sized is Quebec City. With the implosion of the one set of stands, even Ottawa no longer has a stadium big enough. That said the stadium will be rebuilt in time for Ottawa to kickoff for 2010. So there's one new team.

But hypothetically, after Ottawa, the next best candidates are Quebec City and Halifax. Once you go beyond them, there are no other cities that even come close to having CFL ready stadium. Saskatoon is probably the only one in the West that with a ton of renos could come close. Griffiths Stadium on the U of S campus was expanded to just under 13,000 for the Vanier Cup. If they tore down the West Side stands, there is room for stands to seat maybe 10,000. So with a lot of work they could hit 20,000 seats.

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:52 am

[quote=""indy legend""]There are some smaller markets in the US with smaller stadiums that I think would be a possibility for the CFL to look at. 1.Portland ,OR (PGE Park-20,000) 2. Columbus, OH (Crew Stadium- 22,500) 3. Louisville,KY (Old Cardinal Stadium-30,000) 4. Canton, OH (Fawcett Stadium- 23,000)5.Tulsa,OK (dont remember stadium name but I believe it hols around 40,000) 6.Richmond,VA (U .of Richmond Stadium 22,000) I'm sure there are others but those are just off the top of my head. I'm interested in what others think of these 6 cities for US expansion and any other cities that might be viable.These are all areas were football is big,but will never get NFL football and as far as these other leagues (AAFL, UFL, USFL) I'll believe it when I see it.[/quote]

Let's say hypothetically, the CFL wanted to move back into the US, the $1,000,000 question is can these stadiums fit a CFL sized field? I can't remember where I read it, but Commissioner Cohon had said that if the CFL were to ever consider moving back to the US, one of the conditions would be the stadium would have to be able to fit a CFL sized field. I'm not sure that there are any stadiums in the US that would be able to do that. Most soccer fields are wide enough, but not quite long enough for the field (which is the problem with the Argos moving to BMO Field).

ca
Site Admin

ypsilanti , MI ...

Post by ca » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:05 am

would make an excellent cfl city since the nfl team here in detroit STINKS ! the facility here is emu's rynearson stadium which is the old home of the wfl's detroit wheels and has a 30 k capacity thats an hour away from canada
Last edited by ca on Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “CFL”