AAFL already losing credibility?

The All American Football League (AAFL) forum
tops804
Site Admin

AAFL already losing credibility?

Post by tops804 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:09 am

Are these the types of stunts this league will allow to be pulled, in order to get noticed?

http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/news/story.html?id=2e898133-a717-4f8c-9a19-00b3f3f90cea
Delamielleure, 56, hopes for comeback in AAFL
Bob Duff, The Windsor Star
Published: Tuesday, December 04, 2007
Joe Delamielleure is the first to admit he's a passionate man.

Delamielleure, 56, so believes in the new All American Football League football that he's prepared to become the Gordie Howe of the gridiron.

"If I get medical clearance and pass my physical, I might play one series for Team Michigan," said Delamielleure, a Pro Football Hall of Famer best known as one of the guards for the Electric Company, the Buffalo Bills offensive line that blocked for O.J. Simpson in 1973 when Simpson became the first National Football League running back to rush for more than 2,000 yards in a season.
What possible reason could one have to want to see this???
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

logoguru
Site Admin

Post by logoguru » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:09 pm

He can WANT to do whatever he wants to, no one said its going to happen and if it does big whoop.
________
Weed Bubblers
Last edited by logoguru on Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

patmc16
Site Admin

Post by patmc16 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:58 pm

The IHL didn't lose credibility when Howe played a shift for the Detroit Vipers in 1997.
Former Motor City Mechanics & Macomb County Mustangs season ticket holder.

"I like you. When the world is mine your death shall be quick and painless."
- Stewie Griffin

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:05 pm

[quote=""tops804""]Are these the types of stunts this league will allow to be pulled, in order to get noticed?

http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/news/story.html?id=2e898133-a717-4f8c-9a19-00b3f3f90cea

What possible reason could one have to want to see this???[/quote]

Watching Brett Farve the last two seasons struggle along, all I can figure is maybe he wants to die by being pounded into the turf by some DE or LB when somebody misses a block.

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:11 am

[quote=""nksports""]Watching Brett Farve the last two seasons struggle along, all I can figure is maybe he wants to die by being pounded into the turf by some DE or LB when somebody misses a block.[/quote]

...or a quarterbacks attempt at a career could be ended if he misses a block
and has a lineman or linebacker go right past him and throws the young
quarterback on the turf.

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:18 am

[quote=""patmc16""]The IHL didn't lose credibility when Howe played a shift for the Detroit Vipers in 1997.[/quote]

:( No, it had already been damaged by it's expansion into such cities as San Francisco, Los Angeles,
and Orlando. That would be for another thread though...

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:02 pm

[quote=""patmc16""]The IHL didn't lose credibility when Howe played a shift for the Detroit Vipers in 1997.[/quote]

No, but Gordie did.

And first the Vipers and then the league were out of business not long thereafter.

I think Joe D was just talking. It's good that he's still fit. But unless he was going to be making a comeback to actually play long-term (more than one series), I don't think it's a big deal.

The AAFL has many more things to worry about.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

patmc16
Site Admin

Post by patmc16 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:31 pm

[quote=""Sam Hill""]No, but Gordie did.

And first the Vipers and then the league were out of business not long thereafter.[/quote]

I'm usually right there with you, Sam, on your basketball takes but your wrong here.

Gordie Howe is still the icon in these parts that he has been for decades and will be long after he is gone. Most people probably don't even remember he played in that game. His image did not suffer at all for having done so.

If you are making a connection between the Howe game and the demise of the team and league..... I don't even know how to respond except to say there were many reason that contributed (the overexpansion that tops mentioned being a primary one) but this was absolutely not one of them.

It was a gimmick, as is the case with this AAFL move, and it served it's purpose. The Vipers received more media attention then they could have ever hoped for (remember the Red Wings were starting the season as Stanley Cup champs for the first time in over 40 years) and they sold out the Palace shortly after the tickets went on sale.

BTW, The Vipers died because they became affiliated with the Tampa Bay Lightning (same owner for both franchises at the time) who were horrible at the time and made the Vipers even worse. No one came to see them when they sucked. Ownership used the demise of the league as an excuse to fold the team (ignoring the fact 6 teams made the jump to the AHL). They would have folded even if the league had went on.
Former Motor City Mechanics & Macomb County Mustangs season ticket holder.

"I like you. When the world is mine your death shall be quick and painless."
- Stewie Griffin

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:25 am

I didn't say there was a connection.

And I've met Gordie Howe. Great man. I admire the hell out of him as a player and as a guy.

But he lost a bit in my eyes (and in the eyes of others) by this completely unnecessary stunt.

It's not that I'm "wrong." It's that your opinion differs from mine. That's cool.

But what was accomplished? He didn't really "play" in five decades. He skated one 49-second shift in the last one. That was completely unnecessary to do anything to extend his legacy and he could have been seriously hurt.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

tops804
Site Admin

The problem....

Post by tops804 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:50 am

...that I have in both cases, is that national media outlets tend to make only
sarcastic references to these types of things.

In Howes case, Sportscenter covered it. But with the usual back page timeslot
and anchors sarcasm.

With the XFL, ESPN made little reference to it's upstart. Unlike the USFL, which they
had a contract with. After the XFL's first week; good crowds and TV ratings, ESPN
jumped on the bandwagon with positive Sportscenter coverage, interviews, etc. Then
when it proved to not last, the lack of coverage and sarcasm came right back to light.

In the IHL, I seem to remember an incident where a Detroit Vipers coach
dumped a can of garbage, on or intended, for a referee. That, and the lousy
video tape coverage of it were covered by ESPN. The negative type, "this
is the minor leagues idea of entertainment." kind of humor.

The point I'm trying to make is if Joe Delamielleure does make this "comeback".
It would only serve as fodder for national outlets to show "New league tries
anything for promotion.", type of story.

Other things to consider before I would question the leagues intention. Are
they for this idea? Secondly, the article says he wants to do this.
It doesn't mean it will or could happen.
Last edited by tops804 on Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “AAFL”