Site Admin

Post by nksports » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:11 pm

$5 says they don't play a game

sportsguy12
Site Admin

$5 could put down a deposit

Post by sportsguy12 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:08 pm

[quote=""nksports""]$5 says they don't play a game[/quote]

Send em the $5 bucks. I'm sure that would help with the start-up costs. Is anyone really surprised by this announcement. This league is done. RIP.

Jammer
Site Admin

Post by Jammer » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:33 pm

What a shock, another down before it starts. This league will never happen.

Sykotyk
Site Admin

Post by Sykotyk » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:21 pm

The fact they're trying to be a legitimate league, but then only gave themselves a few months to get everything together. What surprises me is that they didn't go with 2008 as their start date only shows they didn't know what they were doing.

Sykotyk

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:28 pm

I think that provision that only college graduates can play didn't sit well with a lot of people and potential investors and sponsors.

Smacks of elitism to me. I'm sorry but I'll call it as I see it.
Never make anyone a priority that makes you an option.

ChampionOfSteel
Site Admin

The $3 Dollar League

Post by ChampionOfSteel » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:39 am

[quote=""SignGuyDino""]I think that provision that only college graduates can play didn't sit well with a lot of people and potential investors and sponsors.

Smacks of elitism to me. I'm sorry but I'll call it as I see it.[/quote]

I'm sure the definition of college graduates = college graduates or those 4 years or more removed from high school.

The signing of Hershel Walker in the 1980s sent shockwaves throughout the NCAA membered schools when the USFL Generals made this move. The USFL had to reassure the NCAA schools repeatedly this was the only exception. The elite NCAA schools threatened to lockout USFL talent scouts.

The AAFL college graduate rule is to appease the NCAA schools, and not the AAFL itself.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
Last edited by ChampionOfSteel on Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't let the people with the money know you prefer the NIFL game system, you won't see any stable leagues copying the NIFL game system for your enjoyment!

Speak up!

Marshal! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PbIlQYR1Qs LAAAAAWWWWWW!!!!

ChampionOfSteel
Site Admin

Post by ChampionOfSteel » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:43 am

[quote=""Sykotyk""]The fact they're trying to be a legitimate league, but then only gave themselves a few months to get everything together. What surprises me is that they didn't go with 2008 as their start date only shows they didn't know what they were doing.

Sykotyk[/quote]

I think there's a great deal of intelligence in delayed action. Those that refuse to change their plans are either perfect or reckless.

Would you have preferred them to go at it anyway without their ducks lined up this spring, like the NIFL?

If anything you should respect the league's organizers for making that call. ;)

Maybe this past week the league's organizer reached a set decision point on their PERT/project management calendar chart as a go or no-go to play this spring. A few months may be more than enough if a project is well thought-out.

Gnome has a great (and free open source) project management planner tool for a Linux operating system. Software is for everyone nowadays. But it helps to have a college business education degree that actually taught the basics of how to use such a tool.

I applaud the college degree requirement. Too many youngsters piss away their educational opportunities and blame society with a laundry list of every -ism you can think of when they can only make minimum wage.

As a matter of fact, I'll change my statement. Keep the college degree requirement and refuse to let anyone in regardless of their years beyond high school.

No degree. No player.
Last edited by ChampionOfSteel on Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't let the people with the money know you prefer the NIFL game system, you won't see any stable leagues copying the NIFL game system for your enjoyment!

Speak up!

Marshal! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PbIlQYR1Qs LAAAAAWWWWWW!!!!

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:39 am

Will this mean that only college graduates would be permitted to WATCH these games? That's exactly how a lot of people will look at this requirement.

It's like an old rugby event where some retired players play some last hurrah. People may watch one weekend as part of a festival, but you don't do it to make money.

I mean, unless it's a private school, the stadiums don't belong to the schools, they belong to the TAXPAYERS. So what business is it of a football league to tell players who are grown adults and who have clean records that they can't earn a living? They can say "nobody in the league under 22 without a degree" and that's fine. Otherwise, this is elitist and there are more than enough people who would not attend because of that to make any team lose money, if they are even aware of this league at all. I've heard nothing about this league other than their own website and OSC. No national media coverage of this, no espn, no foxsports, nothing.

I honestly don't see why any stadium would rent out in the summer anyway if they have a grass turf since they'd have to resod it, now if it was artificial turf, that's another ballgame, then again, I wouldn't want to have a team play on turf in the summer unless it's at nighttime. The rent some of these schools supposedly were going to charge were insanely too high.

I see NADA, ZIPPO, ZERO revolutionary ideas with this league. No rule changes that would make sense. (They may have asked us on their website but I heard nothing about any proposals from any fan. I notice now that it's completely gone now. So much for fan-friendly. They don't even discuss any potential rule changes on their site.)

The only thing is it's summer outdoor football with only college graduates allowed. Other outdoor leagues failed and they didn't have that requirement. What will compel people to pay for this?

This concept makes some PLAUSIBLE sense with a BASKETBALL league with a college degree requirement. Fewer players, basketball is easier to stage than football, etc. But there's a reason you don't see any minor league rent out college gyms even in summertime. Rent's way too high.

Even Vince McMahon was able to start and finish a season like he said he would. This was touted as something far more credible than the XFL and these guys did not deliver.

I'm telling you right now Vince McMahon could announce he's bringing back the XFL in 2008 and it would have more credibility than the AAFL. Write it down.
Last edited by SignGuyDino on Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:53 am

I'll make one more ranting point...
It's expected that 12 regular season games will be followed by a two-week playoff made up of the League's top four teams. A league champion will be crowned in the championship game, which will be played on Fourth of July eve, 2007.
What? No BCS?

Remember, the key people here are all college guys and college football is too corrupt (yes, I said corrupt) to have a playoff for college football.

It's going to look hypocritical that they talk so elitist about how college football is so good if they can have a playoff in the AAFL and not in college football itself.

(And if they ever DO have a playoff, it won't be a fair one because it will be engineered to where only the "top" schools will get a chance. You think a pollster will vote Boise State ahead of Notre Dame for an 8th spot, for example? If the smaller colleges don't even have a theoretical chance at a national championship, the whole I-A system itself is a fraud.

They SHOULD realign all 120 teams in I-A to 8 "alliances," and then have a playoff with the champions only. No polls, no computers, no politics...

It CAN be done...

http://www.wncsport.com/BCSPROPOSAL.pdf )

Ok, enough ranting for now...
Last edited by SignGuyDino on Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “AAFL”