indoor fan
Site Admin

AAFL to Fold

Post by indoor fan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:12 pm

All-American Football League expected to fold
Posted: Wednesday, March 5th, 2008 at 10:54 pm
By MICHAEL DIROCCO
The Times-Union

GAINESVILLE — The All-American Football League is expected to announce Thursday that it will not play its inaugural season, according to a source familiar with the situation.

The source, who requested anonymity because the person didn’t have authorization to make the announcement, said late Wednesday night that financial issues have saddled some of the teams in the six-team league. The league, which targeted players who are college graduates, was supposed to begin play April 19 with teams in Florida, Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee, Texas and Michigan.
Further details weren’t available, and the league’s offices were closed. An e-mail to the league’s media relations director wasn’t returned.
The league held its inaugural draft in January, and Team Florida was scheduled to open training camp Wednesday.
- MLFN News Feed

Jamie
Site Admin

Post by Jamie » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:22 pm

Oh, if ONLY they had adopted the NIFL game system...

Wolf33
Site Admin

Post by Wolf33 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Maybe they should have put real football people in charge of things instead of a bunch of ex-college presidents who do not understand the real world. Stop worrying about players with degrees and worry about good football and good marketing. Drop the generic uniforms. Get good uniforms and actually have team mascots.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:39 pm

[quote=""Wolf33""]Maybe they should have put real football people in charge of things instead of a bunch of ex-college presidents who do not understand the real world. Stop worrying about players with degrees and worry about good football and good marketing. Drop the generic uniforms. Get good uniforms and actually have team mascots.[/quote]

Well said. That would have made them more attractive to investors, sponsors and fans.

logoguru
Site Admin

Post by logoguru » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:36 pm

I never liked this leagues concept. For a pro league to have a college tie in is and was very unprecedented and may have been their downfall. I agree with Wolf33 I never understood a lot of the decisions or decision makers.
________
PAXIL SIDE EFFECT
Last edited by logoguru on Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

BananaCat
Site Admin

Post by BananaCat » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:37 pm

[quote=""Jamie""]Oh, if ONLY they had adopted the NIFL game system...[/quote]

LMAO. Good one.
Indoor Football Forum .com

Indoor Football Forum
on Facebook and Twitter

Live Scores
on Twitter and Facebook

indoor fan
Site Admin

Post by indoor fan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:51 pm

The AAFL joins the PSFL as the only two professional leagues to have teams, coaches, players, schedules and to be practicing, but to fold without playing a down.

Previous defunct professional outdoor leagues to play (since 1970):

NFL Europe 1994-2007
XFL 2001
SFL 2000
RFL 1999
WLAF 1991-1992
USFL 1983-1985
WFL 1974-1975

mrcool92501
Site Admin

it was stupid for this league to...

Post by mrcool92501 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:43 pm

key their financing of this league on a interest rate sensitive fund

the student loan asset backed securities market

should of built a bankroll of hard $$$$$

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:38 am

[quote=""preeths""]Well said. That would have made them more attractive to investors, sponsors and fans.[/quote]

Oh, right. Like that's the reason they're short of money. Better frigging uniforms would have made the difference.

Give me a break, Paul. You're smarter than that.

You know why this won't work? Same reason the UFL won't work. Because you can't do a serious football league to even remotely compete with the NFL, even a small one because it's too frigging expensive.

That's it. That's the list. You can't hope to get a TV contract that can make up the revenue shortfalls you're going to have. And you're going to have them, because football is the most expensive sport to do, especially to start up.

Better uniforms and mascots. That's the most ri-*******-diculous thing I've heard in 2008.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

rams80
Site Admin

Post by rams80 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:17 am

[quote=""Sam Hill""]Oh, right. Like that's the reason they're short of money. Better frigging uniforms would have made the difference.

Give me a break, Paul. You're smarter than that.

You know why this won't work? Same reason the UFL won't work. Because you can't do a serious football league to even remotely compete with the NFL, even a small one because it's too frigging expensive.

That's it. That's the list. You can't hope to get a TV contract that can make up the revenue shortfalls you're going to have. And you're going to have them, because football is the most expensive sport to do, especially to start up.

Better uniforms and mascots. That's the most ri-*******-diculous thing I've heard in 2008.[/quote]

Having an effective set of team identity does make your league more appealing to investors IMO (by conveying that you do indeed have a clue.)
Mean Spirited Blogger #24601

Accused of being a Cyber Terrorist by Joe Newman.

This league (NIFL) is like a frickin' cockroach. You could throw a nuclear bomb at it and it would still survive
-tony-o

So I'd rather spend a quarter of an ABA franchise to repair my car, as opposed to spending a franchise and a half to get a new car that might have some planned obsolescence that causes it to break down 5 days after the end of the warranty period.
-Chuck the Writer

Return to “AAFL”