Does Winning a 4 Team League Really Mean Anything?

The World Indoor Football League (WIFL) forum
tony-o
Site Admin

Post by tony-o » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:06 pm

[quote=""BarbaraPatterson""]I would say that winning a championship in a league with 4 good teams, is better then winning a championship with a league full of replacement teams.[/quote]

That is very true.

11HP20
Site Admin

Post by 11HP20 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:30 am

I have to agree with Tony and Barb.
Life is funny, unless you're too stupid to get the joke.

exit322
Site Admin

Post by exit322 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:20 pm

Yeah, four teams would really be bad...if the four teams they had weren't going to be competitive.

Since the four teams are well-run, I don't think it's going to be that big an issue. The only worry is that the first home game against one of the teams is 67-14 (even with good teams, a blowout happens in this game)...that'd hurt for the second home game against that team.

phydeaux72
Site Admin

Post by phydeaux72 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:31 pm

[quote=""exit322""]The only worry is that the first home game against one of the teams is 67-14 (even with good teams, a blowout happens in this game)...that'd hurt for the second home game against that team.[/quote]

I can see your point. But that kind of scenario is true for ANY league, whether there's 4 teams or 44. Somebody is always going to get blown out in their home opener. Scores like 67-14 occur all the time in indoor/arena football. On the other hand, if you get blown out by 97-3 like in some of these NIFL games lately, where it's obvious that the team is playing with semi-pro replacement players, then that would be a different story. I don't think that's going to be the case with these 4 teams in the WIFL. I think, with the exeption of the expanstion team, they've all been fairly competitive up to this point.

Tatonka
Site Admin

Post by Tatonka » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:28 am

[quote=""phydeaux72""]I can see your point. But that kind of scenario is true for ANY league, whether there's 4 teams or 44. Somebody is always going to get blown out in their home opener. Scores like 67-14 occur all the time in indoor/arena football. On the other hand, if you get blown out by 97-3 like in some of these NIFL games lately, where it's obvious that the team is playing with semi-pro replacement players, then that would be a different story. I don't think that's going to be the case with these 4 teams in the WIFL. I think, with the exeption of the expanstion team, they've all been fairly competitive up to this point.[/quote]

I think he's referring to another game with that same team. If Daytona hammers Columbus at home like 67-14, how likely is it that fans want to see that again the next time Columbus comes to Daytona? Sure, getting whomped at home is always gonna hurt your attendance.

tony-o
Site Admin

Post by tony-o » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:03 am

[quote=""Tatonka""]I think he's referring to another game with that same team. If Daytona hammers Columbus at home like 67-14, how likely is it that fans want to see that again the next time Columbus comes to Daytona? Sure, getting whomped at home is always gonna hurt your attendance.[/quote]

That's true. I will still see games even if Columbus gets whooped every time, but other more casual fans might decide to not support the team.

toomuchbs
Site Admin

Post by toomuchbs » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:55 am

I think rather than panic, which I haven't seen, they should focus on maybe a ten game season, get through it and begin to build the product into a pretty solid league, add four teams to create a new division and go from there. They have the ability to build small and slowly increase, possibly taking a few good south teams with them if they can show stability and competition within the four of them.

daytonadan
Site Admin

Post by daytonadan » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:38 pm

[quote=""tony-o""]That's true. I will still see games even if Columbus gets whooped every time, but other more casual fans might decide to not support the team.[/quote]

That's the time to bring the Hawaiian Tropic Halftime Bikini Contest.....

Return to “WIFL”