Tulsa Shock plans move to North Texas

The Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) forum
Fran
Site Admin

Tulsa Shock plans move to North Texas

Post by Fran » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:41 pm

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnf ... ?id=836391

The Shock franchise in the WNBA is apparently on the move again.

The team that started in Detroit and moved to Tulsa for the 2010 season is planning to relocate to the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

"This is a very difficult decision, and I know it is particularly difficult for the Tulsa investors," said Shock majority owner Bill Cameron in a statement Monday. "From a business perspective, it was necessary to evaluate options to place the team and the organization in the best position to achieve financial success. After a thorough review, I believe the Dallas-Fort Worth area holds the greatest potential to achieve our long-term business objectives."

Tulsa is the WNBA's smallest market, while the Dallas-Fort Worth area is the fourth largest metropolitan region in the United States. It already hosts four major professional sports teams -- baseball's Texas Rangers, football's Dallas Cowboys, basketball's Dallas Mavericks and hockey's Dallas Stars.

The Shock won three WNBA titles while in Detroit, but the club has struggled during its time in Tulsa. They were 6-28 in 2010, then 3-31 in 2011 before a 9-25 mark in 2012, 11-23 in 2013 and 12-22 last year.

This year's team was 8-1 before star guard Skylar Diggins was lost for the season with a torn ACL and are just 2-6 since.

"I am proud of the team and the organization and know they will stay focused on making this a winning season," Cameron added. "I am thankful for the support we have received from the city of Tulsa, Mayors Taylor and Bartlett, local fans and sponsors over the past six years. I appreciate the Tulsa investors who stepped up at a critical time to help me bring the Shock to Tulsa from Detroit in 2010."

Cameron has asked the WNBA to submit the request for relocation to the Board of Governors in an effort to move the club as soon as possible.

suge night
Site Admin

Post by suge night » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:44 pm

They will find the DFW market while big isn't a true believer in minor league sports, oh wait I forgot this is the WNBA TCU women's basketball draws little to no fans even on campus student support is poor, SMU not much better and so now the WNBA is going to come in and gain a major fan base just because there are 4 other major league sports teams, I think not so fast. But best of luck they will need it.....while there is small support for minor league sports average around 2000 fans that number won't help a WNBA team, and while they make the bulk of their cash from TV the losses on the back end are still to great to justify .... :cry:

Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:23 am

This article says where they will play. Is it a good location. Is the a nice arena?

http://www.wfaa.com/story/sports/2015/0 ... /30578283/

he WNBA's Tulsa Shock franchise is officially relocating to North Texas after league owners unanimously approved the move Thursday.

Initial plans indicate the team will play at the College Park Center at the University of Texas at Arlington starting in 2016. Those plans need to be approved by the University of Texas System's Board of Regents.

suge night
Site Admin

Post by suge night » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:21 pm

The arena is located on the campus of UTA in Arlington,Tx home of the Cowboys and Rangers baseball, but this still doesn't translate into a fan base for the WNBA the college itself women's basketball has no drawing power .

As for the complex itself very nice they will get the okay to use the complex but it will be a struggle to do much better than they did in Oklahoma.

Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:13 pm

The should rebrand the team and do a new nickname, hopefully they don't stick with Dallas Shock. It depends if they are willing to spend money, we shall see.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:31 pm

[quote=""Fran""]The should rebrand the team and do a new nickname, hopefully they don't stick with Dallas Shock. It depends if they are willing to spend money, we shall see.[/quote]

But the Shock were so successful in Detroit and Tulsa.
What's the female equivalent of Maverick?

"Southwestern U.S. an unbranded calf, cow, or steer, especially an unbranded calf that is separated from its mother."
"Origin of maverick: Americanism; after Samuel A. Maverick (1803-70), Texas pioneer who left his calves unbranded."

Return to “WNBA”