Does Anyone Follow This Closely?

The World TeamTennis (WTT) forum
Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Does Anyone Follow This Closely?

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:07 am

Since Sportsnet One launched in Canada, they are replaying this past season. I've been watching it here and there and it seems like some players take this seriously and others could care less. Since I don't follow tennis super closely nor have I ever followed WTT, are there salary differences for the players based on talent or is WTT not different than a tennis tournament where you get paid based on how you do? If it is the former then that could be why some players seem to not try as hard as others.

alexa0045
Site Admin

Post by alexa0045 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:00 am

The salary of tennis players is directly linked to their performances. For talented players, the reward is huge and for players that failed to win the the profession is less sustainable.choosehottubsdirect.com-steven barbarich
Last edited by alexa0045 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:36 pm

[quote=""alexa0045""]The salary of tennis players is directly linked to their performances. For talented players, the reward is huge and for players that failed to win the the profession is less sustainable.[/quote]

Yes, but what about in World Team Tennis? Is the league set up like a typical league where players are given a contract worth x amount for the season or is it a prize money situation?

Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:51 am

[quote=""Shootmaster_44""]Yes, but what about in World Team Tennis? Is the league set up like a typical league where players are given a contract worth x amount for the season or is it a prize money situation?[/quote]

I follow WTT very closely. WTT isn't what it was in it's heyday of the 1970's where tennis players signed huge money contracts to play a much longer season that ran from May to September and consisted of 44 matches plus WTT playoffs in major league arenas. But I still enjoy WTT in the summer with the much shorter seaon of playing in July because I am a tennis fan.

Anyway to answer some of your questions pay is based on where your team finishes in the WTT standings and WTT playoffs. But also for big tennis stars WTT marque players as there called by WTT. There is from my understanding personal appearance money for the night.

During Jimmy Connors days when he was playing WTT again in the mid 1990's after his great US Open run at 39 years old he was receiving I think $50,000 for a night or two to appear at a WTT match and play for the teams he was on like the Los Angeles Strings, Phoenix Smash and Philadelphia Freedom to name a few he was on. Jimmy Connors and Martin Navratilova even played in the orginal WTT of the 1970's Connors with the old Baltimore Banners WTT and Navratilova with the Cleveland Nets WTT and Boston Lobsters WTT.

But I don't know if a WTT marque player paid like that also shares in the WTT teams finish money because the WTT marque player is only there for a few matches not the whole season. I would guess no they just get the personal appearance fee for the night or two but again don't hold me to that. This is just from my recollection from reading over the years and the mind gets foggy because I follow so many sports and leagues over the years. I hope that answers your questions and helps with WTT and understanding it from a money stand point. Let's Go Buffalo
Last edited by Buffalo Super Fan on Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The above post is in my opinion and I have no proof or link. I am just a Buffalo sports fan.

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:42 pm

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""]I follow WTT very closely. WTT isn't what it was in it's heyday of the 1970's where tennis players signed huge money contracts to play a much longer season that ran from May to September and consisted of 44 matches plus WTT playoffs in major league arenas. But I still enjoy WTT in the summer with the much shorter seaon of playing in July because I am a tennis fan.

Anyway to answer some of your questions pay is based on where your team finishes in the WTT standings and WTT playoffs. But also for big tennis stars WTT marque players as there called by WTT. There is from my understanding personal appearance money for the night.

During Jimmy Connors days when he was playing WTT again in the mid 1990's after his great US Open run at 39 years old he was receiving I think $50,000 for a night or two to appear at a WTT match and play for the teams he was on like the Los Angeles Strings, Phoenix Smash and Philadelphia Freedom to name a few he was on. Jimmy Connors and Martin Navratilova even played in the orginal WTT of the 1970's Connors with the old Baltimore Banners WTT and Navratilova with the Cleveland Nets WTT and Boston Lobsters WTT.

But I don't know if a WTT marque player paid like that also shares in the WTT teams finish money because the WTT marque player is only there for a few matches not the whole season. I would guess no they just get the personal appearance fee for the night or two but again don't hold me to that. This is just from my recollection from reading over the years and the mind gets foggy because I follow so many sports and leagues over the years. I hope that answers your questions and helps with WTT and understanding it from a money stand point. Let's Go Buffalo[/quote]

Ok that makes sense. That would explain the lack of effort from some of the big names I've seen playing. There is no incentive to play hard like there is on the WTA/ATP Tours since they've already got guaranteed money. Though, the odd player seemed like they didn't even want to be there.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:31 am

To be honest it is a big problem that is across the tennis world. The Grand Slam events are able to get the big players to put on a show and try and win it.

However many, many smaller tournaments offer appearance fees. The Malaysia Open was one that offered big sums 100k+ to the best players to show up, problem is the big name player would show up, lose the first match and fly home with 100k check.

All the smaller ones will offer up an appearance fee to the leading ranked players. But a lot of it is a cash grab by the better players.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

Return to “WTT”